View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #41
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default the element of surprise

"Lost" is, in my opinion, the best adventure series ever made in the 60-plus-years history of television. It is well-written, with a great cast, the scenery is stunning, and the element of surprise is better-used than in anything I've ever watched before on the tube.
I am delighted, and shocked, that the series is doing well in the ratings. Never has an action-adventure-fantasy series (I don't want to say science fiction, because I don't know if Lost falls in that category) scored this high in the Neilsons on prime time original Big Three Network TV.
So you'd think I'd want to discuss it endlessly in chat rooms, collect stuff from it, keep a scrapbook, and want to know what happens three weeks down the road. To my amazement, I don't want any of that this time. It may be partly because I've done that/am doing that for so many other shows/movies/celebrities that it's "out of my system" and don't feel the need for it. But I think it's mainly because, again, of the element of surprise. I DON'T wanna know in advance what will happen on "Lost"! I've found that it's kind of fun jumping out of my skin for a second or two one night a week. (I'm not a horror movie fan, so it's really not something that I enjoy experiencing, and I usually avoid watching programs like that.)
The only thing about the show that I am really curious about, and have not yet found (although I've not looked at Lost websites too closely, for the above-mentioned reasons), is a complete cast list of the folks on the island, not just with the regulars each week, but the recurring ones, the ones that have died, and the ones who have had one or two lines but you see them in the background on the island. So if any of you know where to locate this, could you tell me (without directing me to a site that over-analyzes the series and gives away all its secrets)?

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote