Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjackrandom
Peter,

Miguel Alcubierre is a theoretical physicist who was born and studied in Mexico City until 1990, when he moved to the UK (University of Wales, I believe) for his final grad studies. He was apparently a Trek fan, and decided as an exercise to see if he could create Trek’s warp drive. He publishes a paper in 1994 setting out his findings, and it was astounding. There has been a small barrage of papers since, some pointing out the flaws and discounting the theory, others refining it and making it more viable.

In a nutshell, the drive essentially moves vessels at relativistic speeds by enclosing them in another bubble, one that collapses space in front of it, and expands space behind. As the pocket of space that the ship sits in is what is moving FTL, the ship itself is not violating any laws, nor is it subject to acceleration effects.

There are a number of things that suggest to me that this is what is being used in the Galactica milieu, and I'm hoping to have those, and a more detailed explaination as to how I think it works in Galactica up on my web site in the next couple of weeks. I'll post it when its up.

JJR
Thanks JJR, interesting stuff.

Could you post a link to your website so I can bookmark it?

Best,

Peter