View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Muffit Star Wars Trilogy DVDs - First Look

Hello all! Since this is a HUGE subject on the news, thought I would give you all a very brief "first glance" kinda review. Just went to WalMart and bought it (thank God our town has a WalMart - it's our only mall, LOL). Check out the price there - $36.97!!! Wow, I paid more than that for ONE copy of A New Hope on Laserdisc!!! And that was yucky go lucky letterbox, ick.

Right now people are making LONG LINES in New York to buy the box set, just like a premiere of a new SW at the theatre. Pretty cool that.

Okay, very quick and sweet skinny. The packaging is very low budget. BSG could run circles around it. Looks like they were originally gonna make one color box for both the Full and Wide screen versions, and just change a little "wrapper" that has the screen format indicated on the spine and top, to save costs. But seems like at the last minute they decided to go ahead and produce 2 different color boxes after all. (Or else the wrapper is for non-English versions). I sighed big time cuz the Fullscreen was in pretty gold but the Widescreen was in blah silver, so I'm stuck with silver. The wrapper is awful, it's not even glued on right, I'm thinking of tearing it off. There are 4 DVDs in the box, one for each flik and one for the extras. No silly double-sided disks, that's good.

The video is near reference quality, like all Lucas releases, and looks stunning even on a projector TV. But funny thing about the sound - years ago we were told the delayed release of this set was because Mr. Lucas didn't want to go with anything but DTS. Yet, oddly enough, DTS is not even offered in the Setup menu. Weird. Chaptering is very well done, a whopping 50 choices(!), far better than most fliks that only have 10 or so. One question for you all... was there a planet beneath the opening chase scene in the original cut? I don't remember that.

That's all for now. I will be watching all of them very soon and give you much more info.
CHeers!

Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote