View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #49
PingPongBallEye
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
But - and I can't make this point clearly enough - any kind of portrayal of religion in any entertainment media - BSG, West Wing, Spongebob Squarepants - is going to be interpreted through the filter of our own belief system, which is one of the most intensely personal filters we have. We need to keep that in mind as we discuss this, too.
You made the point clearly -- and I think you're on the mark. Having any kind of civil discussion about religion takes great care on the part of all involved. I'll do my best not to declare any jihads!

I think you bring up a point that relates to the original series, too. Just as we filter anything through our own belief system, the original BSG represents a Biblical story that's been filtered through a science fiction sieve. And when you begin mixing science (no matter how fictional) with religion, conflict is inevitable. One says you can explain everything; the other says you can't, you have to take some things on faith. Thus you get mention of a single deity, presumably the kind of omnipotent, omnicient, omni-etc. God most people are familiar with, yet it appears that the question of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" can be scientifically determined in the BSG universe, since angels are really advanced aliens.
PingPongBallEye is offline   Reply With Quote