View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #30
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Tom, the first part of the last post I have no dissenting or elucidating comment on.
But;

Quote:
2nd, The show reflects a very popular book of its day, Chariots Of The Gods, which linked our history, religion and mythology to ancient visitations from outer space. And BG follows that weird connection between aliens from outer space, and godlike religious forces.
This is true, but the point of a previous point of mine in this thread is that these suggestions can be concidered blasphemous from a strict legalistic and fundamentalist viewpoint. Von Daniken's use of OT scriptures to suggest that some of the biblical apparitions were aliens does seem to take an element of the divine out of the God of the Old Testament.
The notion (memory may be bad here...long term loss of short term memory) from Hand of God that humanity may evolve into godlike beings of light just as those beings crawled up the evolutionary ladder to a divine-like state could for some rob the divine of some of its splendor.

Quote:
The new show really hasn't defined its stance on religion. It has the colonials believing in a lie.
Now this meme I have to disagree with in stronger terms, speaking of the second sentence. Cmdr. Will Adama is presented in what could from their context be called an athiest. He does not believe the old sriptures that tell of the 13th colony of Earth. The "lie" was that the location of Earth was the highest secret of the Fleet. In real world terms, it is like an athiestic politician professing belief to gain votes, or perhaps to comfort the populace after a crisis, and then goin on to say that the highest secret of government was the location of the Ark of the Covenant, or the Holy Grail to "lead" the weary survivors on a quest to distract them from their plight. The Colonials in the audience may be quite devout themselves, and their faith is not a lie, but is faith held either strongly or weakly.

Quote:
While the cylons have some undefined sort of religious view. But right now we really don't know where it is going with this.
Nothing here that I disagree with.
But I would point out the old Abe Lincoln speech that was dusted off in the recent clash of cultures between the Western world and Dar al Islam.
The speech pointed out the dichotomy of both of the opposing sides in the American Civil War praying to the same God for victory in a righteous cause.