Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica and Fleets News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica Movie News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18679)

Westy October 9th, 2020 02:23 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

I wish we could just make our own real BSG. There's more than enough talent, and excelent CGI assets to pull it off. But it's so much work �� I'd donate my Battlestar and my mostly done Basestar CGI models to any serious effort though...just saying.

Eric Paddon October 11th, 2020 12:58 PM

To me, I'd settle for any of these things:

1-Some officially commissioned novels or a comic book series that does it *right* which hasn't happened since Realm Press. Have a story editor who knows all the episodes inside out who could put a halt to the constant trend toward disregarding what happened before and not building off the previous stories.

2-An audio drama that utilizes the existing music score/sound F/X and maybe utilizes the vocal talents of Anne and Dirk. I had a chance to hear an audio drama by "Broken Sea Audio" made in 2009 that unfortunately took a long time to get to the point and when it did it alas left us hanging for a follow-up series they never bothered to do. ("Return of A Hero" was much better utilizing the limited resources of existing dialogue from episodes)

The animated option would be interesting but I admit I'm not a big fan of that storytelling style. I'm not into fan movies either but would certainly give a well-written one a shot.

Westy October 11th, 2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

I'm not into fan movies either but would certainly give a well-written one a shot.
Me either, but the 14th Colony effort was promising. Too bad about what happened.

Jayworld October 14th, 2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 315446)
To me, I'd settle for any of these things:

1-Some officially commissioned novels or a comic book series that does it *right* which hasn't happened since Realm Press. Have a story editor who knows all the episodes inside out who could put a halt to the constant trend toward disregarding what happened before and not building off the previous stories.

2-An audio drama that utilizes the existing music score/sound F/X and maybe utilizes the vocal talents of Anne and Dirk. I had a chance to hear an audio drama by "Broken Sea Audio" made in 2009 that unfortunately took a long time to get to the point and when it did it alas left us hanging for a follow-up series they never bothered to do. ("Return of A Hero" was much better utilizing the limited resources of existing dialogue from episodes)

The animated option would be interesting but I admit I'm not a big fan of that storytelling style. I'm not into fan movies either but would certainly give a well-written one a shot.

At this point, Eric, an animated series based upon a continuation of the original BG might be the best and perhaps only way to go, especially if it had a Tom DeSanto type buy-in. It could feature the voice talents of Herb Jefferson, Dirk Benedict, Anne Lockhart, Terry Carter and others. By doing an animated series, whether digital or more traditional, it would have the ability of having the original cast look older but still look like the characters they played rather than new actors portraying classic roles (such as the new Star Trek films).

ernie90125 October 14th, 2020 05:41 PM

All I’ll say is be careful what you wish for...it might...

;)

Jayworld October 15th, 2020 07:49 AM

Guess I've been wishing for an animated classic sequel series since 2005 (at least), after the Richard Hatch trailer push fell apart, the Fox continuation in 2001 fell apart, and the re-imagined mini-series premiered in 2003. Hard to believe it has been that long, but my hope never dies. Part of the reason I'm here and one of the few that checks these boards on a regular basis.

Eric Paddon October 15th, 2020 10:44 AM

We've been teased endlessly since 1993 and the 15 Yahren Con when Larson implied something was possibly in the works. And not once sadly has faith ever been rewarded.

I still look in since I still like to talk about the show especially now that I'm actively writing fanfic again after taking ten years off from it due to creative burnout. Hopefully the "Virtual Season" section of the board here will finally be updated with all the stories that have been written in the last eight years by myself and others just to provide a further archival repository for them. Maybe at some point I'll bring myself to revisit the Hatch novels and try to be critical without being infuriated as I tended to be when they came out. I've been organizing the comic files, even for the ones I disliked to have for reference purposes, and I've also been fortunate to get copies of most of the original scripts for the series and G80 including unproduced ones which have been illuminating in a lot of ways regarding the show's production history.

It's kind of unfortunate there's never been something like a regular podcast about the series done by fans of it who can study these things in detail in the way I've heard podcasts for other series. Though if someone's aware of it being done, I'd like to know! (not a podcast done by some general sci-fi or TV history buff who isn't approaching Galactica as a fan)

Senmut October 17th, 2020 09:39 PM

EP...otherwise known as the Librarian of the Encyclopedia Galactica.

Jayworld October 23rd, 2020 01:33 PM

Hmmm, well it looks as if the movie is back on with a new writer/producer:
https://bit.ly/34lGnef

This means that the movie is a separate project from the upcoming reboot to be shown on television on the new NBC owned Peacock streaming channel. Thoughts?

Eric Paddon October 23rd, 2020 06:56 PM

I can't even figure out why there would be two different versions unconnected to each other. If one of them plans to be more in the "spirit" of TOS, that's frankly still something I wouldn't be interested in because seeing a new version of the origin story is just "been there, done that" for me.

Senmut October 25th, 2020 03:45 PM

Well, as with all these "revival" thingys, I'll believe them when I see them on the long-range scanners.

Charybdis October 29th, 2020 11:20 AM

The only thing I saw that was really interesting was this quote from one of the articles:
"It will be interesting to see where Simon Kinberg takes the source material, though one has to imagine he'll be taking more from Glen A. Larson's original vision for the TV series back in the late 1970s and early 1980s."

Not sure why the writer of the article would say that, but at least it's a thought in the right direction...

Senmut October 29th, 2020 10:05 PM

We should feed the critics to the Ovions!

ernie90125 November 4th, 2020 05:19 PM

‘Battlestar Galactica’ Peacock Series Details Reveal Potential Casting And General Plot Info

https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/sc...w-details/amp/

Eric Paddon November 4th, 2020 06:34 PM

GINO, Take 2. Once again the Cylons are the good guys saving the Universe from the evil Humans!

And what a joke to see this item that tries to shoehorn the original series into the philosophy of the original GINO.

"The Cycle of Time is a sequence of events in the Battlestar Galactica franchise that repeats itself, seemingly forever. The original Battlestar Galactica series and the 2004 SyFy series are both different iterations of that cycle, and it is possible that not even the Peacock remake could escape the cycle."

Stuff like this just offers me a reminder of why time will never heal the wounds no matter how much I wish it could be otherwise. Not when the legacy of what made Galactica special and enduring to me is continually run-down because of the GINO take so that ultimately GINO is the default interpretation of what it's all about.

Senmut November 4th, 2020 09:34 PM

Some "visionary" producer wanting to stamp their image on another man's creation. Just basically a little kid screaming "Mine! Mine!" writ large.

Charybdis November 5th, 2020 09:38 AM

OMG! If THAT is what this new TV series is going to be...forget it!! Another humans are evil and are destroying their planets mantra.

You know, in TOS, the humans were the GOOD guys and their planets were beautiful! It was the gaul-monging tin-headed Cylons that destroyed everything!

Jayworld November 5th, 2020 09:20 PM

Unfortunately most all television shows and movies now have some sort of political slant or axe to grind. Just from what I've read in the link above (thanks ernie), I will not be watching on Peacock. Will still have a "wait and see" approach on the movie...

Senmut November 6th, 2020 06:22 PM

Yes. Wait and see what horrors have been perpetrated upon us.

Charybdis November 7th, 2020 02:51 PM

And continuing in this vein, did you all see the news that the new OO7 Bond is going to be an African-American woman?!

Talk about changing things up!