Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Merchandise & Memorabilia (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   BSG Telemovies on DVD (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15917)

monolith21 January 19th, 2009 11:39 PM

Re: BSG Telemovies on DVD

Anyone know the quality of these?

Galactifan March 2nd, 2009 03:44 AM

The original Battlestar Galactica tele-movies were never officially released on DVD. I have the original PAL VHS tapes in my collection.

Red Eye April 27th, 2009 02:23 AM

I'm looking for copies of the telemovies as well.

I'm missing every episode except "Experiment in Terra".

Are there any chances that someone could burn them for me?

Naturally, I'll pay for every possible expenses like blank DVD's, shipping costs etc.

KJ April 27th, 2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galactifan
The original Battlestar Galactica tele-movies were never officially released on DVD. I have the original PAL VHS tapes in my collection.

Alll of them?

If so, you're onto a goldmine of WANTED BSG material!

Burn those puppies onto DVD just for collection and saving the copies as they are.

KJ

Galactifan September 16th, 2009 08:07 PM

Here's what I have...Yes, all 13 Volumes of the Battlestar Galactica tele-movies and all are original VHS PAL tapes...
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5...moviespal1.jpg

Athene September 18th, 2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galactifan (Post 293538)
Here's what I have...Yes, all 13 Volumes of the Battlestar Galactica tele-movies and all are original VHS PAL tapes...

AWESOME! :salute:
Where did you get those?
I also think it's a good idea to transfer them to DVD.

Galactifan September 18th, 2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athene (Post 293599)
AWESOME! :salute:
Where did you get those?
I also think it's a good idea to transfer them to DVD.

I purchased the PAL VHS tapes about 10 years ago. They are no longer manufactured. Remember you need a special PAL to NTSC conversion VCR to play these tapes in the United States. Here's a link to the box set on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-G...3337581&sr=1-5

Galactifan September 18th, 2009 10:38 PM

I also have the official release of "Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack" on PAL DVD...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg
You can still buy it, but you would need a DVD player that is "region free" as well as one that will convert PAL to NTSC viewing for in the United States...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mission-Gala...338398&sr=1-31

monolith21 September 19th, 2009 01:25 AM

I just bought that but I currently have no way of watching it! lol

Athene September 19th, 2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galactifan (Post 293649)
I purchased the PAL VHS tapes about 10 years ago. They are no longer manufactured. Remember you need a special PAL to NTSC conversion VCR to play these tapes in the United States. Here's a link to the box set on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-G...3337581&sr=1-5

Thanks for posting that. :)
I'm going to take a look at the Amazon site.
I have a VCR that's running really well and it's 10 years old. I also have a newer model.
Are you going to converting the tapes to DVD? (I think I might have already asked that question.)

monolith21 September 20th, 2009 12:24 AM

Isn't there a code you can put in for most DVD players? I might be willing to spring for a cheapo player as long as I can set it up to play my PAL dvds!

Athene September 20th, 2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21 (Post 293704)
Isn't there a code you can put in for most DVD players? I might be willing to spring for a cheapo player as long as I can set it up to play my PAL dvds!

I think so...not quite sure...:/:
Some DVD players are universal when they play DVD's.
*I just found a site regarding region code set ups.*
Here's the link. You can also google for the information with respect to the model of your DVD player.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-rdr-hx950/8267

KJ September 21st, 2009 11:12 AM

When did this get released?

I remember a set that had 6 or so tapes, but not a 13 plus VHS PAL set though, back in 2001 or so.

:?:

So this has the original Living Legend, GOIPZ and LPOTG telemovies, with none of the extended scenes being studio set; "raw" as they were on the 2003 DVD's, correct?!

Then these a must grab.

Wonder if this 13 VHS tape collection of BSG telemovies are available at cons and 'second-hand' shops etc, besides going to Ebay!

KJ

KJ September 21st, 2009 11:19 AM

P.S.

Also wonder why they haven't appeared on youtube.com as ripped vids yet.

Hmmm?

KJ

peter noble September 21st, 2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galactifan (Post 293538)
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5...moviespal1.jpg

I had this set and of the proper two-part episodes, only War Of The Gods is the telemovie version.

LPOTG, GOIPZ, LL and GFE are just the normal cuts of the eps combined into one and have no extra footage that the original telemovie version had.

Athene September 21st, 2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble (Post 293771)
I had this set and of the proper two-part episodes, only War Of The Gods is the telemovie version.

LPOTG, GOIPZ, LL and GFE are just the normal cuts of the eps combined into one and have no extra footage that the original telemovie version had.

Are you going to be transferring them on to DVD?
I was wondering about that.

Galactifan September 23rd, 2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason (Post 293767)
P.S.

Also wonder why they haven't appeared on youtube.com as ripped vids yet.

Hmmm?

KJ

Clips have been on YouTube but keep getting pulled by Universal.

Galactifan September 23rd, 2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21 (Post 293656)
I just bought that but I currently have no way of watching it! lol

I converted my "Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack" from PAL DVD to NTSC DVD for playing I the United States. The quality is superb!

Galactifan September 23rd, 2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athene (Post 293679)
Thanks for posting that. :)
I'm going to take a look at the Amazon site.
I have a VCR that's running really well and it's 10 years old. I also have a newer model.
Are you going to converting the tapes to DVD? (I think I might have already asked that question.)

I could convert my PAL tapes over to DVD. It's very time consuming to do it properly, but it is possible. I really didn't think anyone cared because of the official DVD release of the tv series. There are a few extra dialogue and special effects shots (alternate Galactica view, etc.) on the PAL VHS set that are not included on the tv series DVD box set.

Lara September 25th, 2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galactifan (Post 293845)
Clips have been on YouTube but keep getting pulled by Universal.

I wouldn't mind them 'protecting' their 'property' it if you could buy decent copies of the material, but all the time they keep it out of the shops, it should be allowed to find its way out to people who want it.

But this is Universal we are talking about who have consistently squandered their retail opportunities when it comes to BSG

Cheers,
Lara

tnpir4001 February 20th, 2011 12:36 PM

Speaking as someone who owns the entire series on DVD, my question is would it be worth it to attempt to get copies of the telemovies? Are they basically just multi-part episodes stitched together or is there new material enough to make it worth it?

Punisher454 February 20th, 2011 04:18 PM

They are just the two part episodes. The only one that is really different is "Mission Galactica" which is a complete mess.

There are also different versions of the pilot "Saga of a Star World". Some more complete than others, but none with all the scenes. If you want the complete pilot you have to edit it together yourself. The Sci-Fi channel version has the hard to find scenes. The Sci-Fi channel version of some of the regular episodes may have contained a few deleted scenes too.

monolith21 February 20th, 2011 05:57 PM

Complete mess? I love Mission Galactica! I think it actually flows a bit better than the original episode (which I love as well!).

Punisher454 February 20th, 2011 08:23 PM

matter of opinion I guess.

monolith21 February 22nd, 2011 01:02 AM

Very true. Ya know, when I went to see "Mission Galactica" at the screening of all three theatrical releases in 2009, it was slightly different than the one that was released on DVD in Australia.

I would like to have a copy of the telemovie with the Cylon origin story.

monolith21 February 22nd, 2011 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher454 (Post 304137)
The Sci-Fi channel version has the hard to find scenes. The Sci-Fi channel version of some of the regular episodes may have contained a few deleted scenes too.

The Sci fi channel version had more edited in than the original broadcast edit on the DVD set? If so I need to track that down!

Benedict February 22nd, 2011 08:34 AM

I've been toying with getting Mission Galactica even though I have the series. My logic is A) if I have Galactica 1980 I might as well and B) just to have it but if there is a copy with the Cylon origin stuff I'll be in like Starbuck on an Ambrosia factory...

Or similar :)

Punisher454 February 22nd, 2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21 (Post 304180)
The Sci fi channel version had more edited in than the original broadcast edit on the DVD set? If so I need to track that down!

The sci-fi channel version also has a lot of things cut out that are in the home video release, so its definitely not a definitive version . In order to get EVERYTHING you need to edit multiple versions together.
The SciFi version has the Serina broadcast clip from caprica before the attack begins, the home video is missing that. It also has the athena locker room scene, the Landram scene where Apollo explains a bit about Cylon origins to boxey(and the viewers of course) and has the Athena/Adama scene at his desk where he is becoming overwhelmed by the burden and Athena basically tells him to "buck up". I believe it also has a short bit at the battle of Cimitar where a pilot comments about the galactica pulling out.

AFAIK you cannot get the real ORIGINAL broadcast version, you have to piece it together. Its a shame too, because those are important scenes, especially Serina's Broadcast and the cylon origin story.

monolith21 February 27th, 2011 11:49 AM

I know the locker room scene, Serina's broadcast and Adama's "take this burden" scenes are edited in on the three hour broadcast edit in the box set. I'm not sure if there are other scenes missing though.

I know the telemovies were different edits of the episodes, but I'd love to have them for the footage that was shot strictly for the telemovies like the origin of the Cylons.

cyfilon March 7th, 2011 09:47 AM

one of these is part of the lost lore of the show the terra/starbuck starts out with a us asternut finding the log book of the galactica flooting in space. the return of starbuck was the only 1980 show used in making these i would say having only seen these once .the real 50 cent question is which one of the first season 24 episodes was not used to make room for starbuck. would love to see these.