Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   The Cylon Death Machine/Gun On Ice Planet Zero (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163)

kingfish August 8th, 2002 07:20 AM

The Cylon Death Machine/Gun On Ice Planet Zero

Hi,
This novel was very different from the episode aired. First of all we learn that the replacement Vipers aren't as good as the original ones. It is only due to the skills of great pilots like Starbuck and Apollo that make them as formidable as the originals. The new Vipers are assembled on the foundry ship from and metal/materials that is salvaged from anywhere it can be found. Baltar isn't in the novel at all and it is the Imperious leader that orders both attacks on the Colonial Fleet. The Cylons have also come up with remote controlled Raiders that are controlled from a safe distance. The Cylons have brains after all. We also learn why Vulpa was sent to the ice planet. The Imperious Leader feared this Cylon would take over for him. The cover art for the book was used in TV guide for the premiere episode. People have speculated that the woman was supposed to be Athena. Look closely however and one can tell that she is none other than Leda.
There is also a part in the book in which the Imperious Leader interviews a hologram of Starbuck and asks it questions. Near the end of the book, Boxey is trapped in one of the remote control Raiders as it lifts off. Unfortunately I gave all my BSG books to my cousin and can't look up how he was eventually rescued. In the episode none of this took place with Boxey. This is also why the books were better than the episodes in providing more of a back story.

Regards,
Paul

Raymar3d August 9th, 2002 11:49 PM

Hey

Hey Paul,

You know what? I need to re-read all the novelizations. It's been more than twenty years since I read them. You keep reminding me of details I'd forgotten. One thing I do remember, is that Imperious Leader and Lucifer were both highly developed characters in the books. Even many centurians get decent character treatment. The stories are different in a lot of ways. I always read them as what had been intended for the screen, but with the realities of television, they were unable to actually produce, so despite many inaccuracies to what was filmed, they are really great books for the most part. Maybe part of the reason BSG really stuck with me was the reinforcement of good novelizations.

Thanks for making me break out the old books and re-read them. As if I had the time...! But don't feel too guilty, they've been calling me for yahrens....

LOL!

Ken

captmiloman August 21st, 2002 10:43 AM

I have several of the TV episode novels packed away somewhere. I need to find them and do some re-reading. I'm also looking for the original novels from that era. I know there were a couple published back in the 80's.

Afan2 August 29th, 2002 11:56 AM

For kingfish.

Quote:

Near the end of the book, Boxey is trapped in one of the remote control Raiders as it lifts off. Unfortunately I gave all my BSG books to my cousin and can't look up how he was eventually rescued. In the episode none of this took place with Boxey.
Croft saves Boxey, believe it or not! When Apollo learns from the Theta kids that Boxey was inside one of the remote controlled raiders which had taken off, he and Croft get into another Cylon raider, and take off after Boxey's remote raider. They manage to get next to it, and Croft goes to get Boxey while Apollo is flying the raider.
I thought the idea of remote controlled raiders was clever.

Quote:

The cover art for the book was used in TV guide for the premiere episode. People have speculated that the woman was supposed to be Athena. Look closely however and one can tell that she is none other than Leda.
I'm not sure about this. I know the picture you are referring to, but I think it came about very early, possibly when the TV show was still under production. It probably intends to represent Apollo, Starbuck, and Athena (who was going to be as important a character as them).
It gives the impression that some of the actors had not been cast yet. "Apollo" is definitely Richard Hatch, but "Starbuck" doesn't look much like Dirk Benedict.

kingfish August 29th, 2002 12:12 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the info. This was actually supposed to be the second episode aired after the pilot. That was why there was no Cassiopea in it. I read that they were going to kill off both characters, Cassiopea and Serina in the pilot but had a change of heart and kept Laurette Sprang around.

Paul

kingfish November 11th, 2002 08:02 AM

Hi,
Jewels here is another thread.

Paul

jewels November 11th, 2002 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kingfish
Hi,
Jewels here is another thread.

Paul

Where? this one we're in?:D

kingfish November 11th, 2002 12:26 PM

Yes. I started the topic.

Paul

Senmut November 2nd, 2003 12:04 AM

Re: The Cylon Death Machine/Gun On Ice Planet Zero

Quote:

Originally posted by Kingfish
Hi,

.... Near the end of the book, Boxey is trapped in one of the remote control Raiders as it lifts off. Unfortunately I gave all my BSG books to my cousin and can't look up how he was eventually rescued. In the episode none of this took place with Boxey.

Hhmmm.... A little kid, stuck in a starfighter, during a climactic battle. Where O where have I heard that one before...??????:rolleyes:
And people accussed BSG of stealing from SW! Yeah, right.

November 3rd, 2003 09:12 AM

I think that many of the differences between the episodes and the novels come from two sources. First, the authors (Robert Thurston, Ron Goulart, Nicholas Yermakov and Michael Resnick) wanted to expand the story from the episodes to include character developement that there isn't time for on television. This allows them to include background information that adds but does not detract from the main story. Additionally, the authors (especially in the early books) might be working from an early draft of the script. I really enjoyed the original novel series and wished that it went beyond the 14th book in the series.

Senmut October 8th, 2011 11:25 PM

For the most part, the eps were better.

Lara October 9th, 2011 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bijou88 (Post 51695)
Additionally, the authors (especially in the early books) might be working from an early draft of the script. I really enjoyed the original novel series and wished that it went beyond the 14th book in the series.

I concur, they have the feel of being written from a slightly different story bible..

I didn't mind the books, I just wish I had managed to snaffle all of them. I still look out for the missing ones in bookshops etc, but its usually the three versions of Saga that are there (the photo novel and the 2 versions of the text versions)
BSG merchandise came down here, but not all of it and not very much of it (probably the 'leftover' stock from US and UK releases??) It was very popular and didn't last long in store,

Cheers,
Lara

LZaza October 9th, 2011 06:01 AM

Likely you'd have more luck getting them on line.

Try Abebooks or Amazon.

Constantly amazed at the out of print stuff I can find there.

http://www.abebooks.com/?cm_mmc=ggl-...eBooksabebooks

Reaper October 9th, 2011 08:14 AM

I've been able to snag good copies of most of the novels on Amazon. I'm now down to just 4 missings ones now. I stopped looking when my son was born, but I will be resuming the search again.

skippercollecto October 9th, 2011 11:46 AM

"Gun" was made into a two-hour telemovie in the early 1980s. In its opening credits, the brief videos you see of each of the actors include Laurette Spang and John Colicos, although neither of them are in the movie!

Benedict October 9th, 2011 01:21 PM

More's the pity, you could never have enough Colicos on Galactica. :)

Senmut October 9th, 2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skippercollecto (Post 307448)
"Gun" was made into a two-hour telemovie in the early 1980s. In its opening credits, the brief videos you see of each of the actors include Laurette Spang and John Colicos, although neither of them are in the movie!

Weird, since Colicos was in the original ep.

skippercollecto October 10th, 2011 04:44 AM

to senmut

You're right, Colicos was in the telemovie.

Jubal October 10th, 2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 51613)
Hhmmm.... A little kid, stuck in a starfighter, during a climactic battle. Where O where have I heard that one before...??????:rolleyes:
And people accussed BSG of stealing from SW! Yeah, right.

That is funny. Have to admit, I would have loved to see Boxey try his had at flying. Again, as a kid I think Boxey made it seem possible I could have been on Galactica, even if just to run around, occationally play cards with the pilots.. all before bedtime.

TwoBrainedCylon November 9th, 2011 05:44 AM

I thought the bit with Boxey and the fighter was among the weaker parts of the book.

The simulation of Starbuck was a brilliant idea and the concept that the Imperious Leader was using a computer generated hologram to try to understand the human mind was an aspect that really amplified the Cylon mindset. The books made it clear that the Cylons were truly confused as to why mankind acted as it did.

The other element that was interesting in this book is that the Cylons previously had a lot more advanced technology. The ice planet was formerly a lush world that the Cylons had moved into position to use as a gun platform. Its new location froze it over. By the time of the book, the Cylons had lost the ability to move large space bodies.

All my best,

Russell