Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   OT: Christopher Reeve (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2228)

peter noble March 14th, 2003 02:53 PM

OT: Christopher Reeve

Actor Christopher Reeve can breathe himself for 15 minutes at a time today, thanks to electrical implants in his diaphram.

Apparently it returned his sense of smell and the first thing he did was smell the coffee!

Christopher is an inspiration to all with his determination and bravery in his constant battle against near-impossible odds.

A super man indeed.

Regards,

Peter

Captaindev March 14th, 2003 02:56 PM

The procedure is experimental, so that leads me to ask if he got the surgery because of his condition or because of his celebrity?

michaelfaries March 14th, 2003 03:29 PM

One thing is certain: If it was someone other than a celebrity, it's unlikely we would have heard about this breakthrough. I have to wonder how many others have underwent this procedure (echoing Kakaze's thoughts).

He is indeed a role model and hero, though. (He's on a list of inspirational individuals - "heroes" - which I keep. Lords know, there are so many inspirational people out there, and so few whom are actually known.)

Michael
:colwar:

KJ March 14th, 2003 08:52 PM

The man IS an inspiration, and no doubt uses his determination and high spirits to overcome these challenges in his life now. Whether or not celebrity or his celebrity! was used is a speculative debate. People should stop questioning celebs just because of who they are or might be?

I hardly think in Christopher Reeve's position fame? is on his mind considering his current condition. Whatever he has got, he is using it, to bring to attention the breakthrough's of science and medical achievements made to help others in need and those less fortunate or even raise money for special causes like this to ease suffering!

He is hardly in a position to fight for causes by playing it Safe! If he is using celebrity I'm sure he knows it, before you even thought of thinking it. So good on him USE whatever you have got and use it to help others, who don't or do not have the same recognition or voice to pled the same case and fight for them cos their are No rules that say you have to fight FAIR in your position!

Yes it good to hear the man is making waves, and is still got alot of spirit and fight where others would have given up hope. Inspiration is all he has and look what he does with it!

What more can be said.

KJ

thomas7g March 14th, 2003 10:56 PM

Just some info:

From what I hear, this is the third time this has been tried. The first time worked but needed addtional surgery. The second didn't cause that patient had previous damage to the nerves that activate the muscles that allow breathing.

Before he was having air pumped in through that pipe in his neck. That or he could try to swallow and gulp air down on his own for a few minutes. His nose was bypassed.

The precedure has the possibility of working 24/7. But right now they have to be careful they don't dmage the nerves which cause the diaphram to contract.

right now there are 35 patients waiting for the procedure, They have the funds to try this on 5 more patients.

thomas7g March 15th, 2003 02:52 PM

Ever see the Nuveen commercial Darrell? It was broadcast once durig the superbowl. :D

jewels March 15th, 2003 03:09 PM

But the commercials are the best part of the Superbowl. *Runs back to her cave to hide*

kingfish March 15th, 2003 03:20 PM

Smallvile Episode

I saw the episode with Reeve and was impressed with how they both honored and payed tribute to him. They even played the music from Superman.

captmiloman March 15th, 2003 04:08 PM

I saw Chris on Larry King Live back in November. He said that he's also able to move his shoulders a little and move a couple of fingers now. I think about how I could've been in his position now after I was struck by a car last summer. I was lucky. I had a few scrapes on my face, a slight concussion, and a sore back for a week. Must be my guardian angel looking out for me and good karma.