Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   ART Work - In Progress (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Viper Hangar - work in progress (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18662)

Punisher454 March 8th, 2014 02:36 AM

Viper Hangar - work in progress

5 Attachment(s)
I got a start on the viper hangers this week. Just thought I'd show a little progress.
This is a segment of one of the viper hangers. There are 10 bays like this one in each hanger, and four such hangers on each side of the ship.
At the back of this piece you see a raised area with a railing. Beyond this there will be a corridor and several compartments used by the hanger crews.
The other end of this piece you see a larger opening in the bulkhead, this matches up to an identical piece on the other side and forms a central taxiway.

Below the vipers there is to be a scissor lift type thing that has a pair of rails on top that mimic the launch rails and will lift the vipers off the deck to work on the landing gear or underside.
There will be an overhead crane in the center that rotates with a telescopic arm, rather than a gantry style crane. I'm still thinking about the design.
These shapes are basically just "roughed-in" at this point, and there are quite a few errors that need fixin. And sorry about the funky colors, these are just the random colors Max placed on the primitives I was building with. and obviously the vipers are just quickie stand-ins, as are the 6' tall biped men.

more to come this weekend.

Titon March 8th, 2014 05:27 AM

Re: Viper Hanger - work in progress

Looks pretty cool!

maudib March 8th, 2014 07:02 AM

Wow, fresh new ideas! Can't wait to see more.

Avrateal Galial March 8th, 2014 07:23 AM

Punisher
That is a sweet hanger section. Love the deck above. great scale to. gonna love to see it finished.:thumbsup:

Merlin March 8th, 2014 08:38 AM

Are those vipers part of Blue Squadron ? Sorry ... couldn't resist !!! : )

gmd3d March 8th, 2014 02:40 PM

excellent start.. looking forward to more

Senmut March 8th, 2014 07:57 PM

Love the techy details. More!

Matador March 10th, 2014 03:48 PM

Nice work... Looks really good. Is that rendered with Vray, or Mental ray?.

Those are classic 3dsMax bipeds... That's the program that got me started into 3d Modeling.

Can't wait to see more. Awesome work.

Punisher454 March 10th, 2014 08:19 PM

No its just the default renderer, with raytracing and AO enabled.
The current scanline renderer is probably nearly as good as Vray or MR from around 10 years ago. Its nice how things continue to improve. But honestly I dont spend much time at all setting up renders, and havent kept up with all the changes over the years. My max renders they are just for quick visualization. My real rendering target is Cryengine so all my work is geared towards that end.

I used a biped so I could just real quickly set the height at 6' tall. I have some toolboxes and test equipment to add and I want it placed at the right height for a character to manipulate naturally, so a posable manequin seemed appropriate.

mikala March 10th, 2014 10:40 PM

Lovin' it!

gmd3d March 11th, 2014 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher454 (Post 313585)
No its just the default renderer, with raytracing and AO enabled.
The current scanline renderer is probably nearly as good as Vray or MR from around 10 years ago. Its nice how things continue to improve. But honestly I dont spend much time at all setting up renders, and havent kept up with all the changes over the years. My max renders they are just for quick visualization. My real rendering target is Cryengine so all my work is geared towards that end.

I used a biped so I could just real quickly set the height at 6' tall. I have some toolboxes and test equipment to add and I want it placed at the right height for a character to manipulate naturally, so a posable manequin seemed appropriate.

manequins are very handy for these set ups.. I used them all the time

martok2112 March 11th, 2014 10:40 AM

Amazing detail! Lovin' it lovin it! :)

Rhaven Blaack June 16th, 2014 08:12 AM

This looks like it would make for a GREAT diorama!!!

Punisher454 June 16th, 2014 09:52 PM

I havent yet shown how this compartment fits in with the others in the lower viper hanger. but there is much more to come.
Honestly I've been so busy with real life stuff I havent done much 3d modeling in a couple months.
I have made on notable change to my BSG project though, I've switched game engines from Cryengine3 to Unreal Engine 4. Crytek has been making moves that are alienating their Indie game developer community, while at the same time Epic has made some major changes with the new UE4. Some of the stumbling blocks that I encountered with Cryengine are easily addressed in UE4. I believe this switch will help speed my progress quite a bit. Expect to see some new things from me over the next few months.

Punisher454 June 16th, 2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

This looks like it would make for a GREAT diorama!!!
I will be releasing this when its finished, along with most everything else when ready.