Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   ART Work - In Progress (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   preview of pics from fanfilm (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17622)

gmd3d November 14th, 2010 01:51 AM

Re: preview of pics from fanfilm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andromeda (Post 302081)
thanks for that vray link, textures there look nice

Taranis you do nice work slow or not :salute:

Had another looksee at vue 9 ... thinking ....

I got my youtube account going again so i can put up temporary renders
was wondering if vue 9 can anti flicker this vray scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKih8zz4giM

I had a look around at various forums and it looks like a fairly common problem,
flickering shadows on landscapes.

cheers

thanks .. I am working on some star trek sets and model for another fan film..

regarding the flickering.. could it be the camera speed. (as I said I am no animator) just a thought

November 14th, 2010 02:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
camera, possible I've got the scene open now and going through the settings.
I'll go thought the scene one frame at a time 'til i find the flickering frames
and re render those frames with different camera settings and see what happens. I f i had gazoodles of hard drive I'd render out out the scenes as single frames and just fix the dodgy ones.

did a bit more on the bridge, changed the layout a bit. still resembles
the original i think.

cheers.

gmd3d November 14th, 2010 03:57 AM

Nice work on the bridge ..

what are your frames per second fsp .. it could be there .. by increasing the frames if possible. most as fer as I know are between 24 frames to 30 frames
if you have it at his .. a check with the appropriate forum form your program might help.

November 14th, 2010 05:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 302087)
Nice work on the bridge ..

what are your frames per second fsp .. it could be there .. by increasing the frames if possible. most as fer as I know are between 24 frames to 30 frames
if you have it at his .. a check with the appropriate forum form your program might help.

thanks taranis :D
everything is rendered at 25fps pal, .... but .... think I'm on to something, had a look through camera settings and found something easily overlooked. rendering these scenes with vray using a standard max "free camera" could very well be the problem. never occurred to me before use a vray camera with vray renderer (D'oh). two images attached are of frame 8.

first picture is the max free camera, second is the vray camera
there is a huge difference, also a huge difference in render times
pic 1 was 12:32s and pic 2 was 4:52s.

:D cheers :salute:

gmd3d November 14th, 2010 06:48 AM

there is a difference all right .. glad you worked it out :)

vk08 November 14th, 2010 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one teeeeeeeeny little nitpick. the third center area on the raiders isn't an engine port it's some sort of turbine and therefore wouldn't glow :)

gmd3d November 14th, 2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vk08 (Post 302090)
one teeeeeeeeny little nitpick. the third center area on the raiders isn't an engine port it's some sort of turbine and therefore wouldn't glow :)

well spotted .. I missed that ..

Matador November 14th, 2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 302083)
yes most shows did or do use LW and modo in films now. the pattern has been to build in Modo and animate in Lw as far as I know.

mmm, what's modo?

perhaps you can answer a question for me regarding LightWave then... How do you get a blueprint to show up on a plane or flat square, so that I can model around it?

gmd3d November 14th, 2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 302092)
mmm, what's modo?

perhaps you can answer a question for me regarding LightWave then... How do you get a blueprint to show up on a plane or flat square, so that I can model around it?

http://www.luxology.com/

as for blueprints . you hit (d) and your new window opens

Top row of option . (Layout) -Quads- for how many work areas you want to use- then go the same Top row of option hit (backdrop) . you will see viewport TOPL TOPR BOTTL BOTTR will be indicated.

below you will see Preset followed by

as the first window will be TOPL and will be highlighted
you find the image you want (top) of course and load it.

same for the other window options.

Matador November 14th, 2010 11:15 AM

Nice, thanks Taranis...

Looks like I'm going to have to make some decissions soon.

3ds max has come out with "3ds max 2011", it has some really cool new features... But man... Expensive.

Lightwave and cinema 4d are both more reasonalbe.

There is also daz3D

Oh the decisions!...

Need to figure out if I want to start learning all over again, with one of the other products or bite the bullet and stick with MAX.:...:

gmd3d November 14th, 2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 302094)
Nice, thanks Taranus... Taranis

Looks like I'm going to have to make some decissions soon.

3ds max has come out with "3ds max 2011", it has some really cool new features... But man... Expensive.

Lightwave and cinema 4d are both more reasonalbe.

There is also daz3D

Oh the decisions!...

Need to figure out if I want to start learning all over again, with one of the other products or bite the bullet and stick with MAX.:...:

no problem .. I cannot help with your choice of program.
I like lightwave because for many years it was the program of choice
for many films with these kind of effect etc.

ie BSG and Firefly

November 14th, 2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vk08 (Post 302090)

well spotted, a few mouse clicks will fix that.

found this nothing to do with this topic however seems to good to be true
and probably is
http://www.softbuy-download.com/

renders with vray cam seem to be coming along nicely, in a few hours will
see if that was the problem.

cheers.

Matador November 15th, 2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andromeda (Post 302096)
found this nothing to do with this topic however seems to good to be true
and probably is
http://www.softbuy-download.com/

Wow! That does sound too good to be true... That is almost too good to pass up. Hmmm :/:

Thanks for the link Andormeda.

January 17th, 2011 04:28 AM

been a while since i posted anything.
have tried lots of different settings to render that shuttle scene. I did find too much
reflection from the landscape texture, and it was too bright itself, too much light
(volume light and haze was skew wiff) i got it mostly sussed out, after figuring it out
found the render times went up to 47 minutes per frame. then went up again to 63
minutes ... :eek: ... still plodding along it is so slow ....

cheers.

gmd3d January 17th, 2011 05:55 AM

cannot not advise I never animate or render now so I am stumped

Punisher454 January 17th, 2011 07:41 AM

I recommend that you look into optimizing your render settings. there are quite a few things that are really easy to set way too high, and wont change the finished product at all beyond a certain point. I'm sure you could cut your times WAY down.

vk08 January 17th, 2011 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
something had been bothering me about the raider, and I finally found the real thing and decided to render out a comparison, if you have a modeler you may ask him to put some detailing on it that isn't textured, it would go a long way to help the cg :)

maudib January 17th, 2011 06:15 PM

1 hour per frame is not unreasonable. Some of my render jobs took 8 hours per frame ( using a single core cpu). That's why you need a render farm. You can also break up the render into separate parts, and composite them later in post processing using apps like adobe after effects or combustion. You can build a rendering node cheaply by assembling only the parts you need to get the job done ( ie. no pc case, Video card or DVD drive needed, just a motherboard, small PSU, RAM, HDD and cpu. Here's a pic of my old render farm with 18 nodes. Each node had only a single core cpu at 1.2ghz. For the same price now, you can use a quadcore cpu which would equal 72 of my old nodes.

http://thethirteenthcolony.com/yahoo...0512_large.jpg

January 18th, 2011 10:27 PM

maudib, good idea .... you corrupted me ;)
I phoned an e waste recyclers, had a chat and told them what i wanted to do
and what i was doing they said sure thing. so they let me loose looking thru all the mobos and cpus etc,
the most expensive bits are the mobo's at $10 each, bought 2 Athlon62 x2's for $16 should be able to
build a decent render farm. :)

punisher .... will keep tweaking the renders until i find a good balance.

cheers.

maudib January 19th, 2011 12:57 AM

A couple of things to remember when building render nodes. Use minimal PSU's, 300 watts is plenty to drive a cpu, HDD and a cooling fan. Even then, getting a 400 hundred dollar electric bill after a month of rendering can be alarming!

Try to get a Motherboard with on board video, that way you don't need a video card. AMD is way cheaper than Intel stuff! You need a switch box to link all the nodes together in a network. Finally, you need to use your workstation PC as the controller of your rendering array. So you need a 3rd party rendering app or as in the case of Lightwave, I just use the free screamer-net app that comes with the program. Render-man and Butterfly net-render are also good 3rd party apps.

Get the render farm going, and suddenly making CGI shots is fun! I just load up a scene and let the render farm crack away for a couple of days. What could have taken 6 months of rendering on a single PC is done in a couple of days.