Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Science Fiction Shows (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   David Tennant confirmed as the tenth Doctor Who (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10171)

Sci-Fi April 16th, 2005 07:03 AM

David Tennant confirmed as the tenth Doctor Who

From BBC:

David Tennant confirmed as the tenth Doctor Who

Date: 16.04.2005

David Tennant is confirmed as the tenth Doctor Who, it was announced today by Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning, following the recommissioning of the second series.

Tennant, whose recent credits include BBC THREE's critically-acclaimed drama series Casanova, BBC ONE's Blackpool and He Knew He Was Right, will star alongside Billie Piper who returns as Rose Tyler.

Julie Gardner, BBC Head of Drama, Wales says: "Christopher Eccleston has given an exceptional performance as the ninth Doctor.

"David Tennant is a great actor who will build on the excellent work already done by Christopher in establishing Doctor Who for a new generation."

David Tennant says: "I am delighted, excited and honoured to be the tenth Doctor!

"I grew up loving Doctor Who and it has been a lifelong dream to get my very own TARDIS.

"Russell T Davies is one of the best writers television has ever had, and I'm chuffed to bits to get the opportunity to work with him again.

"I'm also really looking forward to working with Billie Piper who is so great as Rose.

"Taking over from Chris is a daunting prospect; he has done a fantastic job of reinventing the Doctor for a new generation and is a very tough act to follow."

Executive producer/writer Russell T Davies adds: "Christopher Eccelston's wonderful Doctor has reinvented the role, so that it now appeals to the best actors in the land.

"I'm already writing David's first new adventure on board the TARDIS!

"Regeneration is a huge part of the programme's mythology, and I'm delighted that new, young viewers can now have the complete Doctor Who experience, as they witness their hero change his face!"

A new 13-part adventure and Christmas special begins filming in Cardiff in the summer for transmission on BBC ONE.

:salute: :Nsalute:

BRG April 17th, 2005 09:13 AM

Great news! :thumbsup:

David Tennant has been getting rave reviews for his performance in Casanova, and was also excellent in the live broadcast of Quatermass on BBC4. His star is rising, as the Centauri would say, and he should be a first class Doctor. Plus, he is Scottish! ;)

Two thing I would like. I would like the BBC and Tennant to commit to at least 3 years as the Doctor. Regeneration Episodes are huge events in British TV(I can still remember Tom Baker-Peter Davison when I was a nipper) but if they happen every year, they will soon lose the magic. Also it takes a few years for the actor to really get into the character, and the audiance to really connect with him. So 3 years minimum, with 5 years at the most I would say until the next new Doctor.

Also BBC, give him a deicent outfit! Ecclestone is brilliant, but his outfit is awfull! Give Tennant a more flamboyant look please.
BRG