Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Entertainment (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help Me Choose My System (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6777)

Sept17th April 7th, 2004 10:40 AM

Help Me Choose My System

I want help on choosing a game system for Battlestar Galactica. This will be the first system I have owned since Sega Genesis. Since the game is only offered in PS2 and X-Box that’s all I’m interested in. The other thread involved other systems I’m not considering.

Other games I may purchase someday Grand Theft Auto, Madden Football and Star Wars stuff. The main emphasis is Battlestar Galactica.

Thanx

thomas7g April 7th, 2004 05:09 PM

The best advice I can offer is to check the selection of games for each system So what appeals to you.

The XBOX is slightly better I heard at graphics. But not that much. You may notice a bit. Especially on a really big screen.

One advantage of a PS2 is that you can chip it and that will give you access to an insane amount of games in japan. There are alot more games made in japan that never reach the US. And if you happen to like anime, there are alot of games based on anime you can get, Like Inuyasha. But then if you don't like anime that don't matter.

Personally I prefer giving my money to Sony. Microsoft will screw ya in the long run if they become dominant. Alot of the viruses we have on PCs are due to the holes left in Windows to spy on you and check against pirated software. At least thats what a tech guy once told me. Don't know for sure. But I don't like Microsoft.

I hope that helps. :)

Phoenix April 7th, 2004 06:37 PM

PS2. The amount of games is almost endless witrh being able to play PS1 as well.

Darth Marley April 7th, 2004 06:47 PM

I think in the future, all X-Box games will be able to run on PCs as well, so no need to buy an X-Box if you have a PC already.

fredstar April 8th, 2004 02:53 AM

Go for the XBOX bro, you can get it MOD-Chipped and replace the standard 8 gig HD with a much larger one like 120gig and then copy the game(s) to your HD that way your DVD/GAME will stay in good condition (thats if you buy it)
:D

Once chipped the XBOX can also run hundreads of old school games with arcade emulators, play Mp3's, DVD's and most importantly DIVX/XVID movies using either XBOX Media Player on Media Centre.

Also the XBOX now comes in some pretty funky colors including Transparant Green, Blue and a White colors.

Skins are also available and you can also get a metalic looking (cylon) skin hehe

For more info on MOD chipping for the XBOX check out:
http://www.xbox-scene.com

:salute:

doc834 April 8th, 2004 09:39 AM

I have been working with the PS2. I can't really be too objective, on this matter, since I've never worked on the XBox. I do like the PS2, though.

Gemini1999 April 8th, 2004 09:50 AM

I would have to cast my vote for the PS2 system as well. When the new BSG game came out, I didn't own a game system and I had to make a choice. I asked friends and nobody could really give me a comparison - they either owned one or the other and were happy with their choices. Another factor that made me pick the PS2 at the time was cost - the PS2 was only 179.00 at the time and the X-Box was 200.00. I did hear that the X-Box was just dropped in price to 149.00.

In the end, you kind of just have to go with one or the other - I doubt that you will regret buying either system

Good luck,
Bryan
________
Recall Wellbutrin

thomas7g April 8th, 2004 10:10 AM

May I suggest one thing? Go down to the store and cruise the game section. You will probably love whichever system you get. But not all games are duplicated on both systems. So cruise the games for both machines. Figure out which games you want. And that may decide the console.

:)

you will be very happy with either one. PS2 is $180. The Xbox is $150. The Xbox controller is ten dollars more, and you will want a second controller for friends, but then you don't have to get an ethernet adapter or a memory card. Hmmm... I would be willing to bet the PS2 has to drop in price soon to match this.

Personally the games on PS2 are funner IMHO. but then... the XBOX looks cheaper. :)

Shatter April 9th, 2004 10:37 AM

The recent dip in price of the Xbox makes it somewhat attractive, but all things considered, I'd shell out the extra thirty for a PS2. The game selection for the system is outstanding, and if you're still catching up on old games like me, you can play PS1 games on the system as well. Although I'm told that the Xbox offers superior graphics, from watching similar titles on the two systems, whatever differences exist appear minimal to me.

Jayworld April 11th, 2004 08:32 AM

I'd recommend PS2...

But you need to go to your local Best Buy, Target, GameStop, etc., and look over the selection of both systems, try out the demo games available, compare the "feel" of the controllers, etc. Also, ask yourself what type of games you like best (in addition to Battlestar Galactica). There are more sports games available for PS2, and in many cases, on-line play is available ONLY on PS2, if that is important to you. Also, PS2 can play DVDs right out of the box, but you need to buy the additional remote control system for XBox to play DVD movies. (You can also buy a DVD remote for PS2 for $15, but you don't need it to play movies unless you want it). Compare the cost of additional controllers. Also keep in mind that the XBox has internal memory and does not require memory cards, but the PS2 does, and they are $18-$25 per 8 MEG card, depending on where you buy.

Plusses:
PS2: more games, backwards compatible with PSOne games, controllers "feel" better (in my opionion), DVD ready
XBox: interal memory, better graphics

I prefer my PS2, and I bought it after 2 months of heavy research and comparison of both systems. Of course, I love the Sports games for PS2 as well...

Jayworld :salute:

Sept17th April 11th, 2004 09:59 AM

Thanks All, I am reading and this is helping. :thumbsup:

thomas7g April 11th, 2004 10:40 AM

There are also a few popular game series which have exclusive contracts with game systems. Sadly it looks like the new Resident Evils and Metal Gear:Twin Snakes are on Nintendo. That bites cause they were GREAT games. The kind that changes how games are made. The previous versions are on PS2. But well.. I would really love to play them.

One series with incredible graphics and gameplay is the Final Fantasy line which is exclusive to PS2 I think. I'm not a fan of roleplaying games. But this is something I have had alot of fun playing. FFX was really good. I like Soul Calibur2 alot, but luckily that is on all three systems. And its dropped down to about $20. It is probably the best fighter game to start out with. I love it and I don't even like fighter games!

:D

kitty April 12th, 2004 02:16 PM

I have both, but I paid extra and had the x-box chipped with a bigger hard drive. If you can afford it, do it.
The x-box is the consul we play the most (we have 3 in the house and 2 ps2's). You can put your favourite tunes on it, to listen to while gaming, which we love to do. My household are big on games and regularly link up to play off with each other, especially the fight and racing games.
I never had to buy a remote for it to play DVDs.
If I had to choose, it would be the X-box, although I think that at the moment the ps2 has more games out.