Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Entertainment (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   old movies on the big screen (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11522)

skippercollecto August 3rd, 2005 12:17 PM

old movies on the big screen

What old movies have you only seen on TV or on video that you wished you could have seen (or someday see) on the big screen? This question may be about movies that were made before you were born, and the answers don't necessarily have to be for science fiction or fantasy films.
I have been lucky enough to live near theaters that have either shown a few old movies that were briefly re-released, or they were shown for fundraising events by non-profit organizations. This is what I've been able to see since the 1980s:
1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. Gone with the Wind
3. The Wizard of Oz
4. Bye, Bye Birdie
5. Key Largo
6. White Christmas
7. It's a Wonderful Life
8. 2001
9. Rear Window
10. a number of Disney re-releases (in the 1970s)
I had never seen 2001, Window, Lawrence or Largo (or the Disney films) before I saw them in the theater. However, the other movies were films I had watched numerous times, and it was interesting what you see on the big screen that you would never have paid attention to on TV. (darn near pulled my hair out when I saw Rear Window--it was soooo nerve-wracking!)
I keep hoping that I will someday be able to see the following in the theater:
1. Music Man (it was my favorite movie until Apollo 13 came along)
2. The Sound of Music
3. Frank Capra's Lost Horizon
4. Giant
5. Dr. Zhivago

Mary

julix August 3rd, 2005 02:44 PM

I would have liked to have seen..........
1. Casablanca
2. Forbidden planet
3. The day the earth stood still
4. 20, 0000 legues under the sea
5. Gone with the Wind
6. Any Elvis film.....................

I probably can think of more, I love going to movies. these are the ones that come to mind.

Gemini1999 August 3rd, 2005 03:09 PM

I have seen on the big screen:

War of the Worlds (the 1953 version)
The Wizard of Oz
Metropolis (the restored version)
THX-1138 (the 2004 re-release)

As for a list of what I would have liked to see on the big screen.....I don't think there's room on this forum for it. I love seeing movies on the big screen! If there's an old school film on the big screen within driving distance, I'd definitely make the trip!

I did find a theater in Berkeley, CA that shows older films, but it's like 100 miles away. I'll have to start checking their schedule once a month and take a day trip and go see an oldie!

Best,
Bryan

julix August 4th, 2005 07:00 AM

How could I have forgoton about War of the Worlds?(original version :?:

braxiss August 4th, 2005 04:04 PM

any of john waynes films, but also you have to see the mgm musicals on the big screen. i've been lucky to see several of these on the big creen and it only makes me want to see all of them

julix August 5th, 2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braxiss
any of john waynes films, but also you have to see the mgm musicals on the big screen. i've been lucky to see several of these on the big creen and it only makes me want to see all of them

Where did you see em at braxiss???

braxiss August 7th, 2005 10:39 AM

we have a theatre here that only shoes movies made before 1970, it's really cool

Atlantia October 2nd, 2005 04:30 PM

I wish our local cinema would show some old movies.
I'd love to see:

Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars
War of the Worlds (1953)
Strangers on a Train
Kelly and Me (50's classic)
The Haunting (60's version)
Dead of the Night
West Side Story

I saw 'It's a Wonderful Life' on the big screen a few years ago, which I really enjoyed. :)

Zenislev October 2nd, 2005 05:01 PM

I love the big screen

I have seen

Gone With The Wind
Cassablanca
The King and I(Hammerstine vers)
War of the Worlds
Wizard of Oz
Return to Oz
Labyrinth
A Bridge Too Far
Bridge over The River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia
Ice Cold in Alex(andria)
Ice Station Zebra
Operation Burma
Dr.Strangelove
Dr.Zhivago
Calamity Jane
My Fair Lady

and the ones I want to see.... to many to decide!

gmd3d October 3rd, 2005 02:18 AM

yeah all of the above I would like to see on the big screen .. braxiss I would also like to see John Wayne films

Dys October 23rd, 2005 08:49 AM

Got to agree with the other people wgo said Lawrence of Arabia, and prefreably with the blank screen start and intermision. Casablanca would also be cool. I'd like to see the 1927 version of Napoleon against, I was it a while ago and it was great. And then there's the 9 hour Russian version of War and Pace I;d just like to see that on a big screen.

skippercollecto March 10th, 2014 01:57 PM

roman holiday

Cincinnati's Italian school and the local Vespa club had a special showing of "Roman Holiday," starring Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant and Eddie Albert, and it was a lot of fun. The headmaster/owner of the Italian school had trivia questions and Italian lessons before the movie started.
Oh, and I thought Eddie Albert was better-looking than Cary Grant....

gmd3d March 10th, 2014 03:47 PM

Re: roman holiday

Quote:

Originally Posted by skippercollecto (Post 313579)
Oh, and I thought Eddie Albert was better-looking than Cary Grant....

Oh . I asked my wife who she thinks is better looking .. she refuses to answer. strange enough she also thought my father looked a little like Eddie Albert..

I like old movies a lot and would like to see many on the big screen (more then modern stuff... but that could be the grumpy old man coming out):D

Charybdis March 11th, 2014 08:34 AM

Re: old movies on the big screen

Main one I would have liked to have seen on the big screen:

Battlestar Galactica!!!!

Unfortunately, I missed it back in its original theatrical run...

Jayworld April 9th, 2014 01:36 PM

Re: old movies on the big screen

I have seen the following on the big screen:
1. Bringing Up Baby
2. Wizard of Oz
3. Ben Hur
4. Rear Window
5. Trouble with Harry
6. Man Who Knew Too Much
7. Rope
8. Vertigo
9. Lawrence of Arabia