Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muffit's Musings (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Three Years in remission from Pancreatic Cancer (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18836)

Rhaven Blaack August 26th, 2019 01:10 PM

Three Years in remission from Pancreatic Cancer

10 Attachment(s)
SO, as many of you may know, three years ago, I had pancreatic cancer. It is official. I am now three years in remission!
To celebrate, I made this small (about 1:48 scale) model of a MK-I colonial viper with purple markings (I repainted it in MS PAINT), to show that I am winning this fight as well as to honour those (especially Richard Hatch) who have passed away from this type of cancer.
For those of you who are interested in this viper. It is the one from https://siriusreplicas.com.
I am planing on using this viper in a diorama for Pancreatic Cancer awareness (I will post more photos later).

Cancer (of any kind) is not something to mess with. It should never be taken lightly. You should always talk to your doctor and be honest with him/her about any aches or pains or other symptoms that you are unfamiliar with, or if after any kind of surgery, you have pain in areas not related to the surgery area, have it checked out.
Case in point, how I found out that I had pancreatic cancer, tow weeks after I had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my knee, my fiance Christine and I were joking and laughing, I went to take in a deep breath, and experienced a side-stitch. Christine asked me what was wrong, I told her that I had a simple side-stitch, and that it was no big deal. She responded that I could have a blood clot, and that we need to have it checked out. So, we went to the hospital, had blood tests done and the test show positive for blood clots. The doctor ordered a CT-scan to see where the clots were. Come to find out that there were no clots. However, I had a 9 cm mass on my pancreas. It was determined that I had stage 1 pancreatic cancer. A couple of months later, I went in for surgery. The mass had grown to 12 cm. Not only that, but there was a mass on my liver as well, that the doctor removed.

Just to let you know, there are two types of pancreatic cancer.
The first one, is where the tumor grows on the inside of the pancreas. This type is terminal. Not only that, but it is also the most common.
The second one, is where the tumor grows on the outside of the pancreas. If it is caught in stage 1 or 2, surgery can cure it and there is a 95% success rate. However, only 1 in 10 survive, because it is A-symptomatic (meaning no symptoms). Not only that but this type is extremely rare. Out of every 100,000 cases, only one gets this type of cancer.
With that being said, I am a very lucky person in getting the type that forms on the outside of the pancreas and having Christine insisting that I go into the hospital to have that "side-stitch checked out.

Attachment 6196 Attachment 6197 Attachment 6198 Attachment 6199 Attachment 6200 Attachment 6201 Attachment 6202 Attachment 6203 Attachment 6204 Attachment 6205

Eric Paddon August 26th, 2019 03:44 PM

Re: Three Years in remission from Pancreatic Cancer

So glad to know you had early detection and that you continue to recover! Great that you can use your creativity to raise more awareness. The vipers look great.

Rhaven Blaack August 26th, 2019 08:22 PM

Eric Paddon,

Thank you very much for the kind words. My plans for the diorama is to show it off at county and state fairs as well as SCI-FI/Fantasy conventions, with a write-up about the diorama and the meaning behind it, as well as a QR code that someone can scan, and learn more about pancreatic cancer and how detect it.

To be honest, I am very lucky. Had I not had the knee surgery and the side-stitch, I would have never known that I had it until it was way too late.

BST August 28th, 2019 06:45 PM

Rhaven,

This is GREAT NEWS!!! I'm so happy for you and for your family!

:bounce: :bounce:

Dawg August 28th, 2019 09:14 PM

Excellent news! I'm delighted for you!

And here's to staying cancer-free.

Rhaven Blaack August 29th, 2019 02:39 PM

Thank you both for the kind words! I am too frakking stubborn and ornery to give up! Not only that, but I have a great support system!

Senmut September 6th, 2019 02:36 PM

God grant you many blessed years!

Uhh...yahrens!

bsg1fan1975 October 4th, 2019 11:05 AM

Rhaven,

Glad to see another survivor here. Stay strong and live each day as a blessing.

I am 6 1/2 year survivor of cancer. I had been diagnosed in 2013 with Stage III Breast Cancer. The initial treatments worked and I also underwent surgery to remove it. It came back in the lymph nodes in a small spot. I underwent another year of treatment and ever since then it is gone!

And since it is Breast Cancer Awareness month, I would like to pass along that men can also get Breast Cancer. It is not widely known about this as when you hear about this kind of cancer, it is more associated with women. So to all the warriors here, men and women, if you see or feel something is not normal in a ceratain area, get it checked out, it could save your life!

gmd3d October 4th, 2019 02:04 PM

Rhaven Blaack , bsg1fan1975 great to read your both doing well and past the worst of that awful affliction.

(formally Taranis)

bsg1fan1975 October 4th, 2019 04:15 PM

Thanks gmd. I am grateful for every day I put my feet on the floor.

Rhaven Blaack October 4th, 2019 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement.
Not only am I building this diorama, I also went out and got a tattoo to celebrate my victory over the cancer, but to also honour Richard Hatch, who lost the battle (as well as everyone else who has lost the battle as well).
Here is a photo of the tattoo.

Attachment 6231

Senmut October 5th, 2019 01:00 AM

Thumbs up icon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bsg1fan1975 October 5th, 2019 04:13 AM

Very nice!

DrWho42 February 24th, 2021 11:03 AM

congrats!

Rhaven Blaack July 26th, 2021 07:57 AM

It has now been five (5) years now since my surgery, and still no cancer. The doctor said that they likelihood of it returning is slim to none!!!

Senmut July 26th, 2021 01:36 PM

Amen!

bsg1fan1975 July 18th, 2023 08:23 AM

Even though I had a small recurrence back a few years ago, I consider myself a 10 year survivor as I count the day I was diagnosed as the start of that mark, not the last day of treatment or first day I was considered in remission.

Rhaven Blaack July 18th, 2023 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975 (Post 316128)
Even though I had a small recurrence back a few years ago, I consider myself a 10 year survivor as I count the day I was diagnosed as the start of that mark, not the last day of treatment or first day I was considered in remission.

That is GREAT NEWS! I am seven years now.

Charybdis July 19th, 2023 11:11 AM

Congrats to both of you!! Unfortunately, some sadness for me. We lost my dad three years ago to pancreatic cancer but his was the kind on the inside. He only lasted about 3 years from his diagnosis.

But he lived a full, long and very successful life. I like to think he is a being of light now who has moved on from this earthly existence to a much better one!

Rhaven Blaack July 19th, 2023 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charybdis (Post 316135)
Congrats to both of you!! Unfortunately, some sadness for me. We lost my dad three years ago to pancreatic cancer but his was the kind on the inside. He only lasted about 3 years from his diagnosis.

But he lived a full, long and very successful life. I like to think he is a being of light now who has moved on from this earthly existence to a much better one!

I am sorry for your loss. My deepest and most sincere condolences to both you and your family. Losing a family member is never easy. With that being said, I have to agree with you. Our loved ones are beings of light. I hope that you can take comfort that it is your thoughts about them, memories, and the stories that you tell others about them that keep them alive.