Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica Cafe (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What else flies your geek flag?? (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13081)

spcglider June 16th, 2006 12:28 PM

What else flies your geek flag??

Hey folks,

I know you're all fans of Classic Battlestar, but what else are you into?

I refer to myself as an "unapologetic geek" or "fan of style". Basically meaning tha I like what I like and don't apologize for it.

To start off, I'm a fan of many sci-fi shows (and some NOT sci-fi shows as well). They include but are not limited to HOUSE, Doctor Who, Deadwood, Amazing Race, Most Brit-coms, etc.

I also collect stuff. My MAIN collections are: Playmobil (knights and castles theme mostly), H.R. Pufnstuf memorabilia, Viewmaster Reels (of the stories presented with dolls and not the 2-d cartoon ones), Props (mostly battlestar), netsuke boxwood carvings of mice (or rats if you prefer), Soul Of Chogokin die-cast robots from Bandai, and manga works by Osamu Tezuka. I've drifted away from collecting Micronauts/Microman toys in recent times, but I still have a large collection.

I enjoy playing RoboRally, Monopoly, Mah Jongg (real mah jongg... not that computer tile game that amounts to crap), SNOOD, and Pirates of the Spanish Main card-strategy-tabletop game. To name a few.

I also build puppets. I perform them on video. My website is www.puppetforge.com and I post puppet comedy movies for GROWN UPS. I don't do children's parties. Period.

I used to be a fan of the Muppets... until they became the bitches of Disney and were relegated to the back corner of the storage closet (unless, of course, they could be whored out for a commercial or two). I hope that someday the Muppets will regain their self-respect.

And those are the high points.

So what makes YOU all geeky?

-Gordon :salute:

Damocles June 16th, 2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcglider
Hey folks,

I know you're all fans of Classic Battlestar, but what else are you into?

I refer to myself as an "unapologetic geek" or "fan of style". Basically meaning tha I like what I like and don't apologize for it.

To start off, I'm a fan of many sci-fi shows (and some NOT sci-fi shows as well). They include but are not limited to HOUSE, Doctor Who, Deadwood, Amazing Race, Most Brit-coms, etc.

I also collect stuff. My MAIN collections are: Playmobil (knights and castles theme mostly), H.R. Pufnstuf memorabilia, Viewmaster Reels (of the stories presented with dolls and not the 2-d cartoon ones), Props (mostly battlestar), netsuke boxwood carvings of mice (or rats if you prefer), Soul Of Chogokin die-cast robots from Bandai, and manga works by Osamu Tezuka. I've drifted away from collecting Micronauts/Microman toys in recent times, but I still have a large collection.

I enjoy playing RoboRally, Monopoly, Mah Jongg (real mah jongg... not that computer tile game that amounts to crap), SNOOD, and Pirates of the Spanish Main card-strategy-tabletop game. To name a few.

I also build puppets. I perform them on video. My website is www.puppetforge.com and I post puppet comedy movies for GROWN UPS. I don't do children's parties. Period.

I used to be a fan of the Muppets... until they became the bitches of Disney and were relegated to the back corner of the storage closet (unless, of course, they could be whored out for a commercial or two). I hope that someday the Muppets will regain their self-respect.

And those are the high points.

So what makes YOU all geeky?

-Gordon :salute:

Babylon 5
Red Dwarf
Doctor Who
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Old Hollywood movie serials.
Battlestar Galactica
Rockets-building and flying same.
Constructing the fantastic, making it work, and selling it for a profit..
Wallace and Grommet.
Carlos Mencia ("Dee Dee Dee")
Bashing junk science whether it is Rick Berman Star Drek(TM) Lucas Star Wars Litesaber ("Use the farce, Luke") Goophy Meta Physics(TM) or Al Gore's inflated ego er eco-science (Inconvenient Lie(TM)).

Those are some of my geeky hobbies.

I also like to write-and from the examples I've published (including the fanfiction posted to this forum to SPCGlider's specifications.) I must say poor quality science fiction.

Frank

KamikazeAthena June 16th, 2006 03:43 PM

Dark Shadows and Rocky Horror. I am sort of a "goth geek".

Lara June 17th, 2006 01:54 AM

Doctor Who, Blakes 7, Anderson anything (but not the Frake-up imitation),
books by Tanith Lee, Carol Berg, Poul Anderson, Tolkein, Zelazny, Jacqueline Litchenberg,
Artwork by Jim Burns, WD Barlow, and a thousand anonymous book cover artists of the 70s and 80s.
Hanging with fellow geeks in 'current middle ages', history, archeology,
Creative stuff like calligraphy, drawing painting and fanfic..

And a heap more, I'm sure something has to account for a house stuffed full of books and things!!

Cheers,
Lara

CBSG4ever July 4th, 2006 01:14 PM

Hobbies:
History, love history in general. I eat up military history (WW2 is a special interest).
Love to Draw (Schematics type and such, pencil/paper)
Model Making (real kits: WW2, modern, Sci Fi)
Reading (A variety of books and Fan Fiction)

Science Fiction:
TOS Battlestar Galactica
Babylon 5
TOS Star Trek
U.F.O.
Stargate
TOS Battlestar Galactica
Space: Above and Beyond
2001: A Space Odyssey
Did I mention TOS Battlestar Galactica??? :D

Games:
Wargames (Stratagy: Ogre/G.E.V.,Battletech, SFB, The Fleet series Modern Naval Warfare games, Risk, Chess...)

Artwork:
Pretty much anything done by Syd Mead and/or Frank Frazetta.
The very talented people at Fleets who do some pretty AWESOME meshes! :thumbsup: :salute:

cobrastrikelead July 5th, 2006 07:59 AM

U R Right;

Amazing Race does hold my attention.

I even followed it thru a time slot change.

CaptainHawke June 21st, 2008 08:56 PM

Re: What else flies your geek flag??

Sci-Fi (Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, BSG,)
Computers/online stuff
Big Bang Theory (I can sooooooooooo relate...)

ernie90125 June 22nd, 2008 01:44 PM

Funnily enough, as I read the post of 'progrocker' I find my answer to be his username : Prog Rock !

Sarika June 22nd, 2008 11:08 PM

I'm a keen amateur astronomer...love reading my "Sky and Telescope" or "Sky and Space" magazines, .... Love my BSG TOS!!!! Buck Rogers,The muppet show, TOS Charlie's Angels, The Return of the Saint series, Bond Movies, Starwars, and anything on astronomy or UFO's, archeaology and antiquity, ancient history, astrology, That 70's Show.

Damocles June 22nd, 2008 11:14 PM

I like debunking UFOs..................:LOL:

d.

Atlantis June 26th, 2008 08:53 PM

Sci Fi
Military History/ Hardware
Aircraft (Military and Civil)
Real Space History/ Hardware
Astronomy

Damocles June 27th, 2008 03:26 AM