Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Entertainment (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Every you need to know to complete missions 8-10 (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6364)

viper44 February 27th, 2004 11:24 AM

Every you need to know to complete missions 8-10

Mission 8
You finally get a viper MK II
-Here you have to defend the galactica from ice pieces in an comet.
- Blow up the ice pieces with you laser and missiles, note that you cannot lock onto the ice pieces. It is more important the you destroy the big pieces as opposed to the smaller piece that they break into you blow them apart.
- You know you have succeeded when you here “Say some of that ice to for offices lounge”.
- the next section is basically dog fighting with cylons, nothing different here, except that there are raider overhauls here and scatter raiders that are fast. Use you missile to lock onto the raider overhauls and destroy then and the raider that com off of them. They are you main targets that will destroy the Galactica.
- problem with using missiles here is that you are too fast for the regular raiders and you fly past them before you can get a lock, so you have to rely on lasers.

Mission 9
Destroying the cylon mining stations.
- find your targets with the target finder.
- The mining stations have many targets, 4 towers, 4 laser turrets, and 4 power stations, and 1 protected central core.
- Although it you can destroy all the target, you only need to destroy the 4 power stations, this will expose the power core locate under the station. Blow that up and fly away.
- I will be a few seconds, but don’t get caught in the blast.
- Destroy any raiders that happen to come you way or help IPHI out when she needs it.
- After you destroy all the stations Crimson Elite Raiders will appear and something surprising happens that you cannot stop (It surprised the heck out of me).
- Destroy the remaining crimson elites. They are hard because the can rear fire missiles while you are tailing them. Just try and get a lock on them and blow them away.

Mission 10
Your second time firing the turrets (This is quite easy)
- In this mission you use the Plasma gun a lot.
- At the start use the Plasma cannon to destroy the incoming tankers before the drop their payload. NOTE: use the target “zoom in” R1 and L1. This will allow you to precisely hit the ships that are further away.
- Then use the Plasma to destroy the Tankers around the station. Before the Galactica gets close to the station use the plasma cannon to destroy the top targets on the station (Don’t forget to use you zoom control to hit far away targets.)
- Once you get close to the station, use the side turret to destroy the Middle and bottom targets on the station.
- Concentrate your attack on the station, not the fighters.
- You will then be told that there are tanks on a collision course, switch to your plasma cannon, find the targets which are in front of the Galactica. Use you Zoom to Zoom in on the targets and start firing FULL powered plasma shot into the

Omega April 19th, 2004 07:02 PM

I had a pretty hard time with this one. Not "Mission 7 Hard", mind you, but it was a lot like the frustration a lot of us felt when we first started Mission 1. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper44
Mission 8
- Blow up the ice pieces with you laser and missiles, note that you cannot lock onto the ice pieces. It is more important the you destroy the big pieces as opposed to the smaller piece that they break into you blow them apart.

Unless you're Lord of Kobol-like, you'll probably be playing this part over and over because you fail later on. Learn to know the major pieces by look. I found that I did best with lasers as my primary weapon, occasionally using a few missiles at point blank to finish off a big one. It seemed to actually work better to me to very rapidly push the single fire button rather than just holding it down for autofire. This also saves your energy for missiles in case you really need it. (Since your target is pretty stable, I got into the habit of moving my hand and using my index finger on the fire button, which was faster.) I would turbo out a ways at first, then slow to minimum and start blasting. If you don't go far enough before you slow, the Galactica can overrun you. Your goal in this section should be to have no major hits on the Galactica. (On the first major hit, Kassia will say that too many pieces are getting through.) Don't sweat if you do take a hit, but it will make the Marauders that much more difficult.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper44
- the next section is basically dog fighting with cylons, nothing different here, except that there are raider overhauls here and scatter raiders that are fast. Use you missile to lock onto the raider overhauls and destroy then and the raider that com off of them. They are you main targets that will destroy the Galactica.
- problem with using missiles here is that you are too fast for the regular raiders and you fly past them before you can get a lock, so you have to rely on lasers.

I actually found here that, except for maybe the raiders on the overhaul, the other raiders mainly come for you instead of the Galactica. After using a bunch of missiles to take out the first raider leader and the overhaul, I would run out quite a ways and draw off the raiders. Then, I could repair a bit and turn to face the raiders head-on when I was ready (much like I did for mission 7). They will launch quite a few missiles at you, but you can also lock on to all of the missiles with your missiles and take them out, boosting your chain kills. After you take out the ones that have followed you, head back to the Galactica, taking the time to make sure you're repaired. Then take out the last few raiders that Cain et al. have been fighting. Make sure that, if you're going to try the run tactic, you do it soon. If you stay around to dogfight and happen to take out the ones that are supposed to fight your squadron mates, and then run, you can end up taking out the last enemy, triggering the next segment, when you're way too far from the Galactica to defend against the marauders.

When the marauders come, you want to be fairly close in front of the Galactica. They'll make ramming runs at the bridge. There isn't enough time to use missiles, but they're coming in pretty dumb, so they're not too hard to hit. I don't know exactly how many marauders there are. When I finally won, I only ended up having to take down two. A third one might have gotten through, but even after this, Galactica's damage status was only orange. This is why you want to make it your goal to not let any major ice chunks hit- if one does hit, it will put Galactica into the orange, and you'll have much less or no margin for error with the marauders when they attack. After this, it's just a dogfight with a few more raiders. I again used my turbos to dash out a bit (not nearly as far as before) and then turn back in, which gave me space to use missiles. (Hey, they use the turbos a lot in the show, they're obviously there to be used! ;) ) The raiders didn't really seem to be bothering the G, or if they were they weren't doing much damage. I don't recall any additional overhauls, but I probably took them out beyond visual range with my missiles.

Good flying! :salute: