Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
(http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   BG-01: Saga Of A Star World (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7785)

WARDAGGIT73 February 14th, 2004 10:24 AM

* to 4****

Flawed to be sure, but a as perfect an introduction to the Battlestar Galactica universe as there could have been. Love the Athena locker-room scene, i'd like to dream about it :tongue:

shiningstar February 22nd, 2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdlegend
While it appears as though Moore and his miniseries has the spotlight in the world of Galactica right now, the fans all revere Richard's vision and activly push for a continuation. Richard put much blood sweat and tears into this film and continues to show it around the contry and at other venues around the world. As far as getting a green light from Universal - it is doubtfull at this point; however, if it were not for that bit of film and the hard work of Richard Hatch, we would not have the DVD box set or the miniseries (such as it is). Much attention has been given Galactica in the last few years and it all began with fans like you and I. Richard is a fan and always will remain a fan of Galactica. We can continue to enjoy his vision through his novels and who knows - perhaps one day we'll see the return of Galactica the way it was ment to be. Until then, Richard will be turning his attention to his new project - Magellan and I ask all fans to support him in his endeavor. He is a truly remarkable gentleman and deserves our graditude and love.
Legend:salute:

I soooooooooooooooooooo agree ..........by the way Welcome to the
fleet cdlegend! :thumbsup:

Lurkerzrule February 23rd, 2004 08:52 AM

What really struck me was how well the characters worked together.

shiningstar February 23rd, 2004 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurkerzrule
What really struck me was how well the characters worked together.

I really liked the way all the characters seemed to know precisely where they
belonged and why .........I really loved learning more about HOW that was
accomplished by watching the extra features on the DVD set I bought.

launchcruiser7 March 14th, 2004 12:19 PM

god bless maren i pray for her and always loved here in that show she dated don henley of the eagles in the late 70s early 80s she has credit as a writer on the song down on the sunsett strip better than any of the teen queens today

launchcruiser7 March 14th, 2004 12:29 PM

god bless maren i pray for her and always loved here in that show the seens in saga and plant of the gods of here in her pruesser suit are better than any of the teen queens today :heart: :love: :cylon: :milk: :halo: in the commatary by drik /herb /richard they all say how nice see was i myself had a freind who helped set up a party see was at in the last 80 yearns i have met only 2 or 3 wemen more kind or openhearted yhwa bless you maren this old tanker really misses you on the bridge happy saint paddys day battlestar forever :warrior: :thumbsup: :)

shiningstar March 14th, 2004 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by launchcruiser7
god bless maren i pray for her and always loved here in that show she dated don henley of the eagles in the late 70s early 80s she has credit as a writer on the song down on the sunsett stripthe seens in saga and plant of the gods of here in her pruesser suit are better than any of the teen queens today

I agree with you about Maren. I was really bumbed when Larsen
threw out the Adama family out of the script. I missed Athena and boxey.

Also ........I agree with you about how beautiful she is. I too think that she
is far far prettier then the 'teen queens' of today.

kingfish March 14th, 2004 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CmdrCain
I'm confused on the issue of Jane Seymour. Why did she drop out? Was she trying to stay in film so she had no interest in doing a TV show, or what was the case?

Anyone know?

They mentioned somthing on the BG sciography special that it was Jane's agent who encouraged her not to remain.

shiningstar March 14th, 2004 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfish
They mentioned somthing on the BG sciography special that it was Jane's agent who encouraged her not to remain.

And NOW Kingfish ...........I hate her agent. :duck:

braxiss March 14th, 2004 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiningstar
And NOW Kingfish ...........I hate her agent. :duck:

i agree, should we send her agent for a thwacking??????

shiningstar March 14th, 2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braxiss
i agree, should we send her agent for a thwacking??????

A THWACKING is too good for her agent.

I was thinking more along the lines of a collective KICK in the agent's
ASSETTS! :devil:

braxiss March 14th, 2004 01:23 PM

ouch, that'll leave a mark

:thumbsup: :salute:

shiningstar March 14th, 2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

ouch, that'll leave a mark

:thumbsup: :salute:

Hopefully my size 9 boot will do the job :D

braxiss March 14th, 2004 01:44 PM

roflmao :laugh: :laugh:

shiningstar March 14th, 2004 01:50 PM

Quote:

roflmao :laugh: :laugh:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P:

Bombadil March 19th, 2004 06:39 PM

The BG premiere was loads of fun to watch, and got the show off to a good start. But it did begin to reveal what would be a continuing pattern of not paying too much attention to details.

1,000 Cylon fighters attacked and destroyed the battlestar fleet? Not too likely! That isn't near enough fighters to do the job. And there were no equivalents of bombers or torpedo planes, just the Cyclon fighters strafing the battlestars. Not nearly enough firepower.

And the Colonial home worlds were destroyed by strafing? That was just ridiculous. The mini did better by introducing nuclear weapons, which was pretty obvious but TOS failed to pick up on it. The show just didn't have any sense of realistic proportion or scale.

One thing I did like, though, was the clear preaching of military preparedness. It wasn't very subtle at all--it was obvious to any observant child that the "peaceniks" were stupid, while the truly wise men like Adama did not love violence but knew that sometimes it had to be used. And in case anybody missed that lesson with the destruction of the Colonial home worlds, they reviewed the lesson when the new Council, ignoring the lesson they should have just learned, chose to lay down their arms to show their peaceful intent at Carillon. Again, only Adama's stubborn insistence on military preparedness saved the day. Since I happen to agree with Adama's philosophy, I liked the direction the show was headed.
:warrior:

Dawg March 19th, 2004 08:28 PM

Just a minor clarification, Thomas, it wasn't 1000 cylon raiders - it was, in Apollo's words, "1000 to 1 odds".

If memory serves. ;)

I am
Dawg

Bombadil March 20th, 2004 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg
Just a minor clarification, Thomas, it wasn't 1000 cylon raiders - it was, in Apollo's words, "1000 to 1 odds".

If memory serves. ;)

I am
Dawg

Ah, memory is such a fun tool! I have an old videotape of the episode, but haven't watched it for a while. You may be right I remember Apollo saying that while all the Cylon raiders starting showing up on the radar screen. So, 2000 raiders vs. Zack and Apollo? Still a small number. Should have been at least 100,000.

Oh, and another thing about the "peaceniks". A buddy of mine pointed out that when the U.S. fleet entered Tokyo Bay to accept the Japanese surrender, the carriers kept a full combat patrol in the air at all times, just in case the Japanese, even though totally defeated, pulled something funny. He found it impossible to "suspend disbelief" at the idea that the battlestar fleet would keep all their Vipers on deck to demonstrate their peaceful intent.
:salute:

shiningstar March 20th, 2004 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg

If memory serves. ;)

I am
Dawg

I do believe you are right Dawg. Just finished watching that dvd myself and
I do believe that's exactly what Apollo said. :thumbsup:

skippercollecto March 23rd, 2004 08:03 PM

suggestion for fan fiction

Chip Johnson plays a Warrior in one of the elevator scenes in "Saga," the one in which Answaw and her friend talk about having eaten too much. The elevator is taken to the ground level and the Warrior and the two women are presumably captured by the Ovions.
However, actor Chip Johnson is listed in the closing credits of "War of the Gods." He is one of the pilots who disappears flying over Iblis' planet.
So I am assume his character escaped the Ovions, lived through the attack on Carillon and returned to duty aboard the Galactica. So, what is the name of his character, and how did he escape?
I'll let one of the rest of you decide a on a plot for the rest of us.
Mary