Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica and Fleets News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Saying goodbye to an old and dear friend (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18979)

Dawg March 20th, 2022 09:01 PM

Saying goodbye to an old and dear friend

This post is a little painful to write. It is my sad duty to report that this evening, we were informed that one of our most senior members and long-time Moderators - and great good friend - has passed away.

We knew him as Gemini1999, and on the night of March 17 (St. Patrick's Day, of all days), he lost his short battle with pancreatic cancer.

Bryan was a good friend to us all, and we are devastated by his loss. He will be sorely missed.

It seems appropriate to suggest that we honor his passing by contributing in his name to a fundraiser that is not only targeted at pancreatic cancer, but is definitely sci-fi themed; the "Trek Against Pancreatic Cancer" fundraiser (#trekagainstpancreaticcancer) was organized by Kitty Swink and Armin Shimerman (Quark), and Jonathan Frakes (Riker), in partnership with the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. This fundraiser is universally supported by the Star Trek cast, and I can't think of a better way to honor the memory of a true sci-fi fan than to contribute whatever we can in his name. www.kittyswink.com will direct you to the donation site.

I know a chunk of my next paycheck is going to them in the name of Bryan Garrett.

Godspeed, my friend.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

jewels March 22nd, 2022 05:48 PM

Re: Saying goodbye to an old and dear friend

Missing Bryan a lot. We kept in touch on Facebook the last few years. We lost a good friend, warrior, trekker and sci-fi fan.

Rest In Peace my friend. Strength and comfort to your family,
Jewels

gmd3d March 26th, 2022 09:11 AM

Saddened to learn of his passing.
I remember him from my early days here
RIP and Condolences to his friends and family.

BST March 26th, 2022 05:03 PM

My fingers are on the keyboard and the tears are flowing. I'm hoping that this is just a nightmare and that I'll wake up and everything will be as it was but, .... I know it's not.... :(

John, I'm hopeful that even though you mentioned that his cancer battle was short, that it was not painful. With Bryan's passing, I take some consolation knowing that he is no longer in pain.

Although our paths have taken us in various directions, these past 20 years, there is still a connection and that makes my heart happy. It's not a surprise, though. I remember the support that you all gave me when my dad died in 2005. It was the support given by a family. I have never forgotten that and John, you, Darrell, Don, Bryan, Julie, Steve, Robert, and Terrence are all in my heart.

Here's what Bryan said to me after announcing my dad's passing--
Pete -

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a parent - I lost both my dad and stepdad in the same year.

Take the time you need, but if you need us, you know where to find us...

With all the love and sympathy you can handle -

Bryan
Like I said -- the support of a family.

:cry:

I'm also going to look at that fundraiser.

Commander Cain March 31st, 2022 02:52 PM

I remember him well from CA, TOK. Might have even been around Moist. Who knows, we were all clones over there. He was a great guy. So sorry to hear. My prayers are with his family and all his friends here.

JLHurley April 1st, 2022 05:16 AM

Very sad news. Rest in peace, warrior.

Senmut April 1st, 2022 08:09 PM

On the way to the Ship of Lights.

larocque6689 March 22nd, 2024 05:53 AM

Belated condolences (at least on this platform) - I spent the better part of yesterday reminding myself of him specifically and other people in general that I interacted with from that era. Peter Westburg's death also was a shock for me. Anyway, time to remember and honour them, and maybe reconnect with those of us who are still with us.