Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Larson/Universal Lawsuit (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18481)

137th Gebirg April 19th, 2013 06:01 AM

Larson/Universal Lawsuit

Interesting article posted last week:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...creator-438617

This may be the real reason why a TOS continuation of any kind has been hung up.

Charybdis April 19th, 2013 08:09 AM

Re: Larson/Universal Lawsuit

Man, that sounds messy...

Senmut April 20th, 2013 05:25 PM

Looks like the felcrecarb has hit the fan.

Lara April 21st, 2013 04:18 AM

Nasty, nasty.. and the lawyers are going to to have a good feed.

Even if he gets his fair share, think how much more there would have been if the property had been treated well and video/ DVD/ BluRay transfers had all happened in a timely manner!

Cheers
Lara

Senmut April 21st, 2013 04:26 PM

And win or lose, they will NEVER give him a continuation, now. Not ever.

Punisher454 April 21st, 2013 11:52 PM

Do you believe Larson wants a continuation of BSG? Not arguing, just curious if you have read something somewhere that would indicate that. I do agree that He would never be allowed to do it. Larson's version of BSG is far too conservative to be allowed. And now after rocking the boat he's gonna be blacklisted for sure.

137th Gebirg April 22nd, 2013 06:18 AM

If he preserved the feature film rights for as long as he was said to have done, I do genuinely believe he wanted a TOS continuation for a very long time. Whether that would have taken place in the form of the RTF or of the once-rumored Pegasus spin-off, it still would have been a legitimate continuation by the show's creator. I remember black-background concept sketches being made around the time of NuBSG's beginnings, but clearly of a TOS flavor. The one I most clearly remember was that of a Battlestar lifting off vertically from some desolate surface, like an asteroid or something. It was quite inspiring. Larson clearly saw there was still money to be made in the property.

Now, at this point, I agree with others here that there certainly will never be a continuation made - at least not by his hand. I'm sure that as far as the studio is concerned, he's nuclear waste - the only interaction they will have with him from now until doomsday will be through attorneys. And after the shoddy way Bryan Singer has treated BSG in the past decade, I'm pretty sure I don't want him to do it either.

So, where does that leave us? Basically, once again, 35 years later...square zero.

I wonder if Richard Hatch still has it in him to produce a continuation. The short list is getting REALLY short.

Dawg April 22nd, 2013 06:25 AM

Guys, if the Father Creator has the undisputed motion picture rights to the property, Universal doesn't have any say in the matter.

Remember, Firefly was a FOX TV show. Serenity was made by Universal, a competing studio.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

137th Gebirg April 22nd, 2013 07:10 AM

^^^ I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that he sold those rights back to Universal a couple of years back, effectively removing his involvement in the overall business model going forward.

If so, he may be regretting that decision and it sounds to me like he's starting to run out of money and he's tilting at windmills now in an effort to recoup perceived losses.

Charybdis April 22nd, 2013 08:13 AM

Well, at least we still have the original series!!! That and Richard's trailer for 2nd Coming...I think that's the closest we will ever see a continuation...:(

Senmut April 22nd, 2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg (Post 311603)
I wonder if Richard Hatch still has it in him to produce a continuation. The short list is getting REALLY short.

Which is the idea. TPTB keep mdragging their heels, and time thins the ranks ever more. I have come to the conclusion that this is the intention.

Colonel Archon April 23rd, 2013 05:00 PM

Glen Larson versus the Un-Universals

The evil that the Un-Universals have been repeatedly committing against Glen Larson is making Baltar's treason and the Cylon tyranny seem almost petty by comparison!
:cylon:
:colonial:

Senmut April 23rd, 2013 09:40 PM

Here, here!!!!!!

Jubal April 24th, 2013 08:10 PM

Just had a funny thought. If a classic BSG movie was made, I wonder how many New BSG folk would complain? :P

Senmut April 24th, 2013 08:47 PM

Who cares? Honestly?????