Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Costuming Guild (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Viper Jacket Pattern For Those Interested (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17733)

Darrell Lawrence February 1st, 2011 04:33 PM

Re: Viper Jacket Pattern For Those Interested

I see the problem. Log out then back in.

Harnessworks February 1st, 2011 04:39 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Okay, lets see. Here we go. The first photo is an uncomplete mockup in inexpensive material. It was what we used to make sure our pattern was doing what we want.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=ca8d7b5b60

Here's that link to the facebook page, again you should be able to look at it without being a member. Its got a lot more details in it about what to do. Thought I would throw that in here right by the pattern pictures.

Darrell Lawrence February 1st, 2011 04:40 PM

Bingo :)

Apolloisall February 1st, 2011 04:41 PM

SUCCESS!!!:rotf:

Harnessworks February 1st, 2011 04:46 PM

:LOL: Thanks for your help fellows. Making patterns is something I enjoy doing. If you have something you want a pattern for and can't find one, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Apolloisall February 1st, 2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harnessworks (Post 303472)
:LOL: Thanks for your help fellows. Making patterns is something I enjoy doing. If you have something you want a pattern for and can't find one, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

The Galactica Colonial Warrior Jacket is the ONE thing I've always wanted to make for myself, and I'm SURE my Son would love one also. This is a BIG step closer, and a journey we will definitely take now, thanks to you!

:salute::salute:

BST February 1st, 2011 05:21 PM

No problem, you've both in your own ways, exemplified the giving nature of this wonderful online family!!

My sincerest thanks!

:) :salute:

Harnessworks February 1st, 2011 07:05 PM

FYI

I put photos of the pattern pieces onto the Blackstar squadron site and they show up much larger there when you click on them. If you need a bigger photo to look at and have access to that site then this information may help you.

Apolloisall February 1st, 2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harnessworks (Post 303486)
FYI

I put photos of the pattern pieces onto the Blackstar squadron site and they show up much larger there when you click on them. If you need a bigger photo to look at and have access to that site then this information may help you.

The rampant creativity expands...;)

Harnessworks February 1st, 2011 07:56 PM

Spread the joy you know :) And of course, the work...

Another thing I did on there was put reference measurements so you can size up the pattern from the photos. If you can't get on there and need that info let me know too. Easy to do.

Actually....(pulls out her tape measure and puts some reference measurements here too)

Back length, from highest point at shoulder to base 22 3/4 inches
Back width along adjust shoulders here line 9 3/4 inches

Shoulder cap length along center seam 11 inches

Large front piece along leading edge (where buckles go) 21 inches
Width along the adjust here line for this piece is 12 7/8 inches

Front shoulder small piece along bottom edge with cut out square 9 inches

Collar 19 inches long by 3 inches wide

Waist band 18 inches long by 6 inches wide

Right sleeve along longest edge with the "don't do" spot 19 1/2 inches

Left sleeve largest piece along the bottom (smallest) edge 14 3/4 inches

Hopefully this will help you blow this pattern up at home on your computer if you want too. Aim for those measurements to get your base pattern.

This pattern fits someone who has the following measurements:
18 inch shoulders, 44 inch bust, 40 inch waist

All seam allowances are 1/2 inch.

There we go.....

Apolloisall February 1st, 2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harnessworks (Post 303490)

Right sleeve along longest edge with the "don't do" spot 19 1/2 inches

Left sleeve largest piece along the bottom (smallest) edge 14 3/4 inches

I have longish arms, so I'll add accordingly.;)

Harnessworks February 1st, 2011 08:06 PM

When you get the pattern pieces cut out, lay it along your arm before you cut your material, or line up all the pieces, overlapping 1/2 inch each and measure them and then your arm to compare before you cut. The measurements I posted are for you to blow up the pattern to a correct size to start with. Otherwise you might have a teeny weeny viper jacket for a Barbie doll. Hard to get buckles for those ;)

Apolloisall February 1st, 2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harnessworks (Post 303492)
Hard to get buckles for those ;)

Oh, I'll be fine.;)
You've given me (us) the essential basics; I'll hover with the fine points!
Thanks so much!:salute:

monolith21 February 3rd, 2011 01:17 AM

Soooooo awesome!

Harnessworks February 4th, 2011 06:02 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Alright, got a better idea for posting the pattern pieces and took a picture of them on my cutting mat. Why I didn't think of that before I have no idea but this will make it easier to get the pattern right if you want to trace it off at home. You can get a mat like this anywhere they sell material pretty much.

I LOVE that you can upload more than one photo at a time here THANKS!!!

Apolloisall February 4th, 2011 02:45 PM

I can certainly hover with THIS!

Harnessworks February 6th, 2011 07:26 AM

Hi everyone,

I had it suggested by an individual that the pattern I have for this jacket could be a lot simpler by making a whole sleeve and solid fronts. You would then make the cording and top stitch all of that to the jacket in the appropriate places.

Here's my take on that. Yes this would initially seem like a simpler option to making this jacket but you will have this issue..

1. You will have to turn all your pieces of cording so that the edge of the casing is on the interior, or cut it very short before you top stitch it to your uniform.

2. If you top sticth the cording to your uniform your going to have a lot of time hand stitching (not my personal favorite).

3. You now have the challenge of making sure that you keep your lines straight while your sewing.

My favorite method:

1. Cut a 2 inch wide strip of material.

2. Lay your cording in the middle and stitch the material over the cording. A zipper foot gets you really nice and close. (Miel has a really nice set of photos showing how to do this on her tutorial).

3. When you put your two sleeve sections together (for example) you will lay one section good side up down first. Then along the edge that is to be sewn and corded, lay the cording, with the cord closest to the inside and the raw edge against the raw edge of the bottom piece.

4. Lay the top piece (the other part of the sleeve) good side down along the matching raw edge.

5. Pin and then using a zipper foot, sew as close to the cording as you can get.

When you lay this piece out flat you will have a very clean line with no exposed stitching in less than half the time it would have taken to top stitch this on or even turn your cording inside out.

Another thing that you can do if you have the cuts as I described, is you can easily insert a pocket below the box on the left chest and under the flap on the right arm. Makes a nice little place to tuck something if your out and about.

So anyway, that gives you another way to think about the uniform or the pattern. If some of you want to top stitch this, I can easily take some photos of a full sleeve for you. Let me know.

Nitestar January 23rd, 2014 03:05 PM

Do you know where we can find the buckles for this? Besides the person on ebay who rarely posts them... or answers questions.

Reaper January 26th, 2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitestar (Post 313107)
Do you know where we can find the buckles for this? Besides the person on ebay who rarely posts them... or answers questions.

The buckles are quickly becoming impossible to find. with the recent surge in classic BSG costuming eating up the supply that had been out there. unfortunately it's starting to look like we may need to find someone to remanufacture these, but that's going to raise the price a lot

Nitestar January 26th, 2014 01:26 PM

Here's the thing... the more people who get in on a group order, the more the price will go down. We just did this with a helmet purchase, which helped a lot. The thing here would be finding a manufacturer who would do it. And if nothing else... an option might be to switch material... go with plastic rather than metal. Those 3D printers can make quite a few things... a scad of these probably wouldn't be much for one... the only trick will be making the mechanics work. With the new plastic paint that they have out that is metallic, it would look like metal when finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri2SN6JDF5I

They can do it in silver or gold... very cool!