Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shattered Worlds (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Battlestar Callisto Fan Film "The Lost Brother" (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12856)

Charybdis April 10th, 2006 11:09 AM

Battlestar Callisto Fan Film "The Lost Brother"

This is the official thread for my latest Battlestar Callisto mini-ep 4 titled "The Lost Brother."

Synopsis: When Col. Charybdis is out on patrol, he encounters an unidentified craft that turns out to be something he is very familiar with! Will it be the end of Charybdis?...

Here is the link:

http://www.hoeftmedia.com/media/the_lost_brother.wmv

Charybdis May 1st, 2006 11:20 AM

I am having trouble rendering the final edit for this thing. I'm working on various strategies. It is finished but I need to figure this out before I can upload it to the internet...

stay tuned.

evil_genius_180 May 1st, 2006 12:51 PM

Is this a sequel or a prequel? Sorry if the answer is painfully obvious, but I haven't seen TOS in a while and I haven't seen much of the new show, only a couple of episodes. :)

Charybdis May 2nd, 2006 06:43 AM

Ummm, well, the events of my story take place around 25 years after the original. Much of the storyine is in league with what Richard did in his books, for example, Apollo is fleet commander and Tigh is president of the Council...

The Callisto is a new battlestar that Cain built and rejoined the fleet to fly alongside the Galactica...

These mini-eps are my tribute to the original series and to my friends onboard the Callisto with me in our online RPG...

Check out http://bscallisto.proboards20.com/index.cgi

ernie90125 May 2nd, 2006 07:05 AM

Thanks......I didn't actualy know the back story either.

From watching the shorts I would have presumed (incorrectly) that Callisto was another Battlestar lost pre-Cimtar, and these were missions prior to the fall of the Colonies.

Interesting read........

Charybdis May 2nd, 2006 10:40 AM

Yeah, sorry about that. I almost wanted to do an opening crawl telling the story, but that would be a little too much like some other famous sci-fi franchise, wouldn't it!

The Callisto site has our story that fills in all the gaps. Basically, Cain survived the battle with the three Cylon baseships seen in The Living Legend.

Our backstory begins quite a few yahrens later when the Pegasus comes across a Cylon foundry and attacks it. From there, they get the materials to begin constructing a new battlestar, the Callisto. A skeleton crew is formed from the old Pegasus and the Callisto becomes operational. At that time, the Pegasus is called away on a distress signal and the Callisto is sent in search of the fleet which it finally finds.

The fleet provides the rest of the crew for the Callisto and she now travels with the Galactica and the Pegasus remains lost again.

That brings us up to some of the events in Richard's books and where our story comes to life on our RPG board.

Charybdis May 2nd, 2006 10:59 AM

Here is the actual copy from our website as to the backstory of the Callisto:

"Cain, legendary Commander of the Battlestar Pegasus, sat at his desk, with his Warrior’s boots propped up on the desk. The smoke from the fumarello in his hand curled gently, wafting toward the exhaust duct. He read the report again. His ship, his crew, his dream had accomplished the impossible! The Cylon defense forces from the planet below (nicknamed “Treasure Trove” by the Pegasus’ crew) had been defeated in the surprise attack. Upon capture of the orbital spacedock, the automated systems had been set to bring specific materials to the huge facility. Operating around the clock for almost six sectars, enough raw materials had been delivered to the spacedock to build a new ship. Cain smiled, reflecting quietly to himself. Indeed, he would take the spacedock, and the ships he would build!

The prototype plans for the first were already complete. With this dock, he would build a new fleet of improved Battlestars, with which he would destroy the Cylons once and for all. He gave the order, and the spacedock began to move out of orbit. In doing so, Commander Cain completed the greatest theft in Colonial history!

Two yahrens later, on the bridge of the Pegasus, Cain was standing looking at the image of the accompanying shipyard. His new Battlestar Callisto, the first of what he determined to be many, was ready to become operational in the automated spacedock. While there was still much work to be done to make it fully functional, including most of the finish work, in the hands of the right crew, he knew it would be able to fight. Due to the extremely short staff he had aboard the Pegasus, he staffed the new vessel with an extremely eager but none-the-less skeleton crew.

The spacedock’s automated manufacturing equipment was currently busy turning out first class Vipers. Within a few more cycles, he would have full complements of Vipers for both the Pegasus and the new Battlestar; however, he knew he could wait no longer. The weak distress call from a group calling itself “Orion” could only be due to one cause: those fracking Cylons. Commander Cain made his decision. His new ship, the Battlestar Callisto, would be on its own until he could catch up with it again in the near future. The Pegasus departed, leaving the Callisto still traveling through space in the Cylon spacedock.

Two systems later, the Callisto left the womb of the spacedock, ready to travel on its own. The unexpected arrival of a Cylon Base-Star and secondary Cylon ships caused Colonel Cambar, temporary commander of the Callisto, to send the spacedock on an uncalculated jump. Unmanned and on an unknown course, the dock was believed to have been destroyed. Before the Cylons detected the presence of the undermanned and untested Callisto, the new Battlestar escaped.

Less than three yahrens later, the crew of the Callisto approached yet another new system in their so far futile search for Commander Cain and the Pegasus. This time, they found a Battlestar, but it was not the Pegasus. Instead, they had located the Galactica.
Two more yahrens passed as the Callisto traveled with the fleet. New recruits joined the Callisto with almost every cycle. Much of the new ship was outfitted, but major portions of the interior were still unfinished. Crew quarters were particularly deficient, but, since the crew was still only about two thirds of its optimal size, everyone made the best of the situation...and so began the Callisto Chronicles."

evil_genius_180 May 2nd, 2006 12:49 PM

Sounds cool. Thanks for letting us know what the scoop is. I always figured they had plans to do more with Cain since we never saw his fate, but the show got cancelled first. This project sounds really cool. :)

jaiboo May 14th, 2006 07:12 PM

Hello

Is there a website for the callisto fan series?

Clifford Hoeft May 14th, 2006 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaiboo
Hello

Is there a website for the callisto fan series?

Hi Jaiboo,

The series was hosted at BattlestarCallisto.net, but I can't seem to connect to it anymore so I am not sure if it is still operating.

You can download all the current episodes from the Battlestar Galactica Fan Films web site.

Regards,

Clifford

EDIT: URL for BSGFF changed.

Charybdis May 15th, 2006 07:11 AM

The callisto.net site is not operating at the moment. All it had was background info anyways. Our main story website is located here:

http://bscallisto.proboards20.com

Just go to the Battlestar Callisto Role Playing game and there you will find the main threads for the game. We have quite a few people who post daily so reading all the ongoing threads is essential...

jaiboo May 17th, 2006 09:21 AM

Where...

Ok I was also wondering where you got your uniforms from and helmet as well?
Do you have any advice on making a viper cockpit as well?

Charybdis May 17th, 2006 09:47 AM

Well, let's see. ON the uniform, it's a JK2 jacket (they're not around anymore) and my uniform was made by Kathy Pillsbury (who was half of the two K's of JK2).

The helmet is from weluv3dfx (paul schmidt). It is sold in kit form and you have to build it yourself. And for the viper cockpit? Well, it actually has more to it but I use just the closeup shots like they did in the series. Just use a lot of common sense, keen eye for checking out the prop used in the show and lots of searching for the right materials.

My viper canopy is made from the aluminum flashing material that they use to put on the corners of walls so they won't chip, etc. Painted gray, it looks pretty good with the holes in it looking like rivets.etc..

Charybdis May 23rd, 2006 09:15 AM

Update 5.23.06:

It's finally done! The latest Callisto mini-ep "The Lost Brother" has finally been rendered and is ready for uploading!!! Hopefully, I will get that done this week and when it's ready, I'll give the link.

I had some serious computer problems but I finally managed to fix it and get this thing done!

Stay tuned for link info...

ernie90125 May 23rd, 2006 12:01 PM

Looking forwards to it. :thumbsup: I'm now hosting your other 3 fanfilms on my site, so will be happy to host the fourth as well. Helps lessen the chances of links dying as they did a while ago. Also my pleasure to help out. :salute:

Just explain where I can download it from.....oh yeah...and also explain why all Americans but the date the wrong way around ? Month/Day/Year ??????? :D

Charybdis May 23rd, 2006 06:26 PM

I will have links shortly.

As for the date, well, we say May 13th, etc. so 5/13/06. Makes sense, huh??

ernie90125 May 23rd, 2006 07:00 PM

When you make the link available...I'll update my site. That way I don't pre-empt you !

We say 13th of May !

Charybdis May 23rd, 2006 07:51 PM

OK, folks! Here it is, the latest Battlestar Callisto mini-ep #4: "The Lost Brother." As you check this one out, though, you will notice that I have changed the beginning and episode credits. They are much shorter now since I didn't want to keep wasting bandwidth with the whole credits every time. So, I changed them to make the whole thing shorter. Hope it helps!

http://www.hoeftmedia.com/media/the_lost_brother.wmv

Clifford Hoeft May 23rd, 2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charybdis
..we say May 13th

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernie90125
We say 13th of May!

I think that's why the ISO is pushing the 8601 date format YYYY-MM-DD, 2006-05-13.

Anyway back on topic, that was another great Callisto episode. I think Lee did a fine job as Lt. Hagen, there was a point there where I think he was channelling Jack Black - "Say hello to the Lords of Kobol for me!"

I can't wait for the next episode, well done.

Charybdis May 24th, 2006 07:25 AM

Thanks Clifford! yeah, Lee is a hoot! He's very young too. Just turned 20 years old! We start 'em young at the Callisto academy...

I thought that that line was the funniest part of the episode too!

Aussie Warrior July 26th, 2006 05:08 PM

good episode, Lt Hagen definately wasn't a happy person being left behind