Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Would you choose a viper or raider? (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5252)

agent404 December 6th, 2003 08:26 PM

Would you choose a viper or raider?

Would you choose a viper or raider as your personal craft?

I would choose a raider. It's bigger and slower than the viper but it has more interior space. I could add leather seats, minibar, air conditioning, carpet, etc. Besides I think it looks cooler.

So which one would you guys want?

BST December 6th, 2003 08:33 PM

A Viper.

But, if I had the choice of ANY ship, I'd take the Big G!! :D
Hmmm, my own personal battlestar, kinda has a nice ring to it!!
:)

BST

thomas7g December 6th, 2003 09:01 PM

Welcome 404 to the Fleets!

As for your question, I think I would procure me a viper. True its kinda cramp, and not good for long trips. But you don't need a friend next to you to go someplace and I like the feel of rudder and stick flying. Or I would if I COULD fly. :D

Oh well... time to wash the car and speed down some mountain roads. Its a poor substitute for a viper, but muh more practical. :D

amberstar December 6th, 2003 10:24 PM

Yes a viper! It would be the ultimate flying rush!
Anyway, I heard Apollo say in an episode that it took two to fly the raider and the third Cylon just gave orders. Is that right? If so, a viper might be easier to fly.

dilbertman December 6th, 2003 11:51 PM

I would choose the NEW raider from G1980, with Lucifer as my co-pilot. BTW, does anyone have a really good image of that ship that they can post here.

Jim:cylon:

agent404 December 7th, 2003 09:01 AM

Another thing is that I dont think the raider requires a launch sequence like the viper.

agent404 December 7th, 2003 03:14 PM

Actually in a raider one cylon gives orders, one flies it, and one mans the weapons. So if you just plan on flying it and not shooting it only takes one.

Domiano December 8th, 2003 05:10 AM

Some vipers allowed for a second seat behind the pilot. Apollo took Adama down to Caprica in his viper. In Galactica 1980 Troy flew Jamie back to the Galactica in his.

My choice : The viper.

Commander Cain December 8th, 2003 05:14 PM

Viper. No contest. Although the Enterprise would be cool. Holodecks and warp 9!
I know, wrong show.

Belloby December 8th, 2003 06:05 PM

I'm a simple girl. All I require is a couple of fast turbos, high powered laser cannons and a joystick.

My choice is Viper. :girl:

shiningstar December 10th, 2003 07:46 PM

I think you're right about that Amberstar .........still
Leather seats and a bar ............might not be bad after all

Senmut October 21st, 2011 02:36 AM

Re: Would you choose a viper or raider?

Viper. Since contact with the enemy is always possible, I would need a ship I could fly in combat, if I needed to. The Cylon craft is not single user-friendly.

Charybdis October 21st, 2011 07:42 AM

Wow, this is a resurrected old thread, but seeing as I didn't answer it back then, my vote is absolutely the viper...

Benedict October 21st, 2011 11:29 AM

Viper. For one thing the launch sequence is second to none.

Apolloisall October 21st, 2011 03:47 PM

Let me think a centon....:rotf:

Ummmm....Raid- NO, VIPER!!!! ALL THE WAY.
And you got storage space, or a place to transport a person.:thumbsup:

Reaper October 21st, 2011 05:01 PM

Viper, no doubt, and remember you don't NEED the launch tubes, that just speeds you to combat speed after leaving the battlestar.

Centurion Draco October 22nd, 2011 12:39 PM

It depends!
If you are going to need to take it into dogfightes, then the Viper!
In any other circumstances, the Raider.

Gin Rummy October 22nd, 2011 01:08 PM

Raider is admittedly more convenient for everyday purposes - flying your peeps around space. Yet I would never fly into combat in anything other than a Viper. (Ignoring the fact that the tri-engine design would be terrible in real spaceflight)

Apolloisall October 22nd, 2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gin Rummy (Post 307714)
(Ignoring the fact that the tri-engine design would be terrible in real spaceflight)

Only if they hit your high engine.;)

Senmut May 22nd, 2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gin Rummy (Post 307714)
Raider is admittedly more convenient for everyday purposes - flying your peeps around space. Yet I would never fly into combat in anything other than a Viper. (Ignoring the fact that the tri-engine design would be terrible in real spaceflight)

Has someone wind-tunnel tested a Viper model?

Apolloisall May 22nd, 2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 311863)
Has someone wind-tunnel tested a Viper model?

Yeah, ME! I spray paint mine outdoors in windy Massachusetts, and they do great (the paint flows over them like a dream).:P:

Senmut May 23rd, 2013 12:15 AM

sigh

Charybdis May 28th, 2013 10:06 AM

I think if you enlarged the wings just a bit, you might get some flight capability in an atmosphere...it would sort of be like a Rebel snowspeeder delta wing design...sort of...

Senmut May 28th, 2013 07:40 PM

Sounds interesting. Be cool if someone CAD-ed one, and found out what is possible.

Jubal May 29th, 2013 12:01 PM

I'm just waiting for the day when a amateur plane builder tries to make a viper with jets. Be a fun way to get to conventions.

In the meantime it would be fun to build a RC plane model, maybe start with the propellers and go from there.

I like the way this thread started. Viper or Raider. I would have gone into this saying "Viper" on the spot. The mini-bar argument is nice. I think ANY ship you can get up and has a bathroom should be considered. Thus why I would have thrown in a Shuttle craft which might have that AND a land ram!

Now if a Viper is like a modern day fighter craft they would have the vacuum hose for those long flights, and we saw they can be equiped with a jet cycle, so I guess it still comes back to the Viper.

Senmut May 29th, 2013 06:43 PM

I had the same idea. Great minds.....

Punisher454 May 30th, 2013 01:12 AM

I've explored the viper flight aerodynamics a little (not too much though).
The CG (center of gravity) would have to be really far back to work very well. That would require the forward section to be very light and the engines to comprise most of the mass.
Even then it probably still needs some forward canards added to have decent elevator control.

I think it would fly more like a missile than an airplane.

The pre-viper jets seen in the Caprica show with the forward swept wings might come close as they were.
I'm currently learning solidworks and inventor, when I get the time someday I'll try to set up some airflow simulations. Of course with my current schedule that could be a year or more away.

Jubal May 30th, 2013 08:01 AM

Huh fascinating. Yeh my dad said the Viper was basically a "dart" in design, so flying like a missile I can see. But hey in space for most of the flying, and compensated by strong thrusters for the few times in a atmosphere, the design would work fine.