Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   ART Work - In Progress (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   This planet is defended (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18677)

Tenement April 2nd, 2014 11:03 AM

This planet is defended

1 Attachment(s)
Working with Folkrm's amazing Galactica. WIP as I'm still thinking about the final backdrop and other elements of the final image. :)
Title is a Doctor Who quote.

Dawg April 2nd, 2014 08:45 PM

Re: This planet is defended

I like. A lot.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

BST April 2nd, 2014 10:10 PM

I do too! :)

gmd3d April 3rd, 2014 02:20 AM

looks great... how long to render it

Tenement April 3rd, 2014 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 313801)
looks great... how long to render it

Just under five hours. Computer was getting a little warm. :)

gmd3d April 3rd, 2014 02:30 AM

yeah its a big model..

one day I have to have a go at building it

martok2112 April 3rd, 2014 08:55 AM

THAT is too cool! :) Well done!
I bet your computer was sweating chips after all that. :)

maudib April 3rd, 2014 10:44 AM

?!? Why did your render take 5 hours? Something like that should have taken about 8-12 minutes at HD (1920x1200) resolution at 33 passes using the LW native renderer. The background image could be added later as a composite in photoshop, or add the image file as a backdrop during the render. Maybe you mean your total project time was 5 hours?

Tenement April 3rd, 2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudib (Post 313807)
?!? Why did your render take 5 hours? Something like that should have taken about 8-12 minutes at HD (1920x1200) resolution at 33 passes using the LW native renderer. The background image could be added later as a composite in photoshop, or add the image file as a backdrop during the render. Maybe you mean your total project time was 5 hours?

My computer is very old (5 years) and I'm running LW9 with a lot of radiosity for lighting the scene. I'm not kidding about how hot the computer got. Background plate was added in Photoshop with the additional post effects.

Titon April 3rd, 2014 01:47 PM

Nice image.

What are your radiosity settings? It should not take that long....

:)

Tenement April 4th, 2014 02:52 AM

The radiosity settings weren't too high but the computer is very old and slow. Dual core and 3GB and running Windows XP (32 bit). I haven't updated the computer because I don't have the money to replace the software. The computers primary purpose is for editing and it runs fine for that so I have to live with long render times for Lightwave.

Titon April 4th, 2014 03:42 AM

Sounds good!

:)

Jayworld April 9th, 2014 08:01 AM

Very nice job; especially on the perspective and unique underside view from behind.