Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Science Fiction Shows (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Worst Scierce Fiction series ever aired. (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16740)

Damocles March 2nd, 2009 05:13 PM

Worst Scierce Fiction series ever aired.

I'd like nominations, please. Mine is:

Holmes and Yoyo

Who remembers Holmes and Yoyo-a buddy cop show featuring a wooden actor detective and his robot partner? This piece of schlock was foisted on us by ABC in 1976.

Came and gone-the running gag was that Yoyo, a sort of Watson, played klutz stooge to the detective hero, Holmes.

Your nominations?

D.

monolith21 March 3rd, 2009 12:49 AM

Re: Worst Scierce Fiction series ever aired.

Wow. This will take some thought. It would have to be something that isn't even fun to make fun of. Something just flat out painful.

Damocles March 4th, 2009 04:56 AM

Suggestions: Solaris and Mutant X?

Kester Pelagius March 4th, 2009 08:27 AM

With the exception of Mutant X I've never heard of the series mentioned. And I thought I knew most of the obscure SF series out there!

Ah, hubris.

My nomination would probably be that UPN series, what was it called, Homeboys in Outer Space? I may have watched a few minutes of one episode and just clicked away. It was bad.

Dawg March 4th, 2009 12:29 PM

Don't bother, I know the winner to this question, hands-down:

Flash Gordon - the Skiffy series.

There's nothing here to make fun of. Terrible writing, bargain-basement special effects, the cheap props gave better performances than any of the actors, and nothing was brought over from the decades-established Flash Gordon universe. A case study in how NOT to produce a television show. Painful to watch, with no redeeming value (even the "hot" actresses weren't that hot).

The only people who claimed to like it were no doubt on the Skiffy payroll.

Anything else is a distant second to this complete waste of videotape.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

Eric Paddon March 4th, 2009 04:55 PM

I don't remember "Holmes And Yoyo" but my copy of a 1976 baseball playoff game has a promo for it. Very dumb format that was also recycled in an only slightly more "serious" vein in the 1977 ABC series "Future Cop" with Ernest Borgnine which Sci-Fi reran in in the 90s and it suffered from the same boring one-joke premise of an overly logical robot that takes things literally.

Most idiotic sci-fi series I've tried to watch is the 1977 "Fantastic Journey" which started with an interesting pilot movie that presaged "Lost" in many ways but when it went to series they incredibly jettisoned all of the interesting characters from the pilot and kept the boring ones (especially boring Jared Martin as a boring Spock clone from the future).

Damocles March 5th, 2009 02:46 AM

These days if I watch a Skiffy seriers I cringe (Sanctuary). But I digress, the worst of the worst? "Cleopatra 2525", "Manimal"?

Kester Pelagius March 5th, 2009 12:45 PM

I agree with Dawg. The Sciffy FG was an atrocity against humanity. Had it not been cancelled the U.N. would probably have been forced to send in peace keepers to end it being broadcast.

However I am going to step up for "Cleopatra 2525" as, yes, it was cheesy and campy and the actresses wore ridiculously tight unrealistic costumes. . . But isn't that WHY it was fun to watch? Honestly I think they should bring this back as a movie, hard NC-17! ;)

Gemini1999 March 5th, 2009 02:02 PM

I honestly think that Skiffy is the source for a lot of "worst SciFi" stuff. One that comes to my mind is Tremors - The Series. I thought that the first film was a bit corny, but fun. The sequels were barely watchable and then Skiffy thinks that a weekly series is a good idea......

I watched a couple of episodes - I even watched the finale to see how it all ended, but there really wasn't anything to latch on to.

If they'd never made it, I don't think that anyone would have noticed one way or another.

Bryan

Kronus March 5th, 2009 02:05 PM

Agreed, Tremors was "ok" the first time around but not as a series...there is only so much you can do with an underground preditor and a group of poor folk running around with their shotguns and gasoline cans.

Eric Paddon March 5th, 2009 02:08 PM

"Cleopatra 2525" I'll admit was a silly guilty pleasure. :)

Mieal Deneb March 5th, 2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klingongeneral (Post 281490)
Agreed, Tremors was "ok" the first time around but not as a series...there is only so much you can do with an underground preditor and a group of poor folk running around with their shotguns and gasoline cans.

:LOL: You've got a very good point there! I had a hard time watching even the first movie though...I just thought it was poorly done.

Damocles March 6th, 2009 08:33 AM

I liked Tremors!

I kept rooting for the graboids!

Gemini1999 March 6th, 2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damocles (Post 281576)
I liked Tremors!

I kept rooting for the graboids!

Now, how did I know that someone was gonna come forth and say that they actually liked that show.

Mooshy....moosh....moosh...

Get ready with that melon baller - there's a ripe one right here!:D

Mieal Deneb March 6th, 2009 11:35 AM

The movie...or the show...?

Damocles March 6th, 2009 04:09 PM

Does it matter? I told you I cheered on the graboids! They were the best actors on film!

Aphrodite March 6th, 2009 07:13 PM

Buck Rogers stunk IMO.

Archangel March 6th, 2009 07:18 PM

'V'

The first mini-series was great

The second mini-series was good (big Michael Ironside fan here) until they had the starchild do a little voodoo.

The follow-up series SUCKED!

Dawg March 6th, 2009 08:58 PM

Nah. None of these ranks with Flush Gordon. All of them had some redeeming feature to them that made them somewhat watchable - even the final TV series of "V", which was, indeed, pretty horrid.

But Flush Gordon still beats them all.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

Kester Pelagius March 7th, 2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrodite (Post 281645)
Buck Rogers stunk IMO.

I agree, about the second season. But the first season had it's moments. I mean how can you NOT love a series with a ridiculous two-part episode called PLANET OF THE SLAVE GIRLS starring Jack Palance?

:rotf:

Eric Paddon March 8th, 2009 12:51 AM

YOu also can't say that about the season that had Pamela Hensley as Ardala!

Damocles March 8th, 2009 10:35 AM

Buck Rodgers had Erin Grey!

http://www.fridaythe13thfilms.com/sa.../eringray3.jpg

"V" an absolutely horrible series had Jennifer Cooke.

http://www.tvacres.com/images/v_starchild2.jpg

Intelligent actress with exquisite comedic timing: versus "the gates are down, the bells ring and the lights flash, but the train (brain) is missing!"

Kester Pelagius March 8th, 2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 281739)
YOu also can't say that about the season that had Pamela Hensley as Ardala!

She did have some rather interesting to look at costumes, didn't she? :D

Speaking of costumes one does wonder who thought it was a good idea to dress Col. Deering as a burger hop waitress for the promo pics of the second season. And was I the only one who thought the Searcher looked like a giant phone reciever? What WERE they thinking?

Damocles March 9th, 2009 08:25 PM

How about Star Trek Voyager as a candidate?

Kronus March 9th, 2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damocles (Post 281760)
Buck Rodgers had Erin Grey!

http://www.fridaythe13thfilms.com/sa.../eringray3.jpg

"V" an absolutely horrible series had Jennifer Cooke.

http://vicki_98.tripod.com/photos/cooke1.jpg

Intelligent actress with exquisite comedic timing: versus "the gates are down, the bells ring and the lights flash, but the train (brain) is missing!"

Oh by the gods, I had the hugest crush on her! Love Buck Rogers because of Erin Gray...:drool:

Damocles March 10th, 2009 09:35 AM

http://www.sfdebris.com/voyager/sfvoyager.asp

Archangel March 10th, 2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronus (Post 281877)
Oh by the gods, I had the hugest crush on her! Love Buck Rogers because of Erin Gray...:drool:

And her cute little sailor suit in season 2...

:LOL:

Damocles March 10th, 2009 01:12 PM

http://scifisizzle.com/imagegallery/...rin_gray_2.jpg

Damocles March 14th, 2009 03:25 PM

http://io9.com/5121019/10-worst-mome...nce-fiction-tv

10 worst moments in Science Fiction TV 2008.

Damocles March 15th, 2009 09:17 PM

Somebody liked this?