Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica Cafe (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Time, Temperature, or Distance? (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4580)

The 14th Colony October 13th, 2003 08:40 PM

Time, Temperature, or Distance?

Please answer to the best of your ability. Please do not PM me and ask me to explain. It is an experiment. It is up to you to realize the answer.

Please explain your answer. Thanks.

Flamingo Girl October 13th, 2003 08:49 PM

Colour

The 14th Colony October 13th, 2003 08:56 PM

Color? That was not an option. =)

jjrakman October 13th, 2003 09:02 PM

Time, because I hate it.

The 14th Colony October 13th, 2003 09:08 PM

Sorry, I forgot to put this in, so I edited it into my first post. Please explain why you chose your answer.

jjrakman October 13th, 2003 09:22 PM

There I altered my answer.

The 14th Colony October 14th, 2003 02:05 AM

So that is your final answer? :D Okay. Thanks for explaining. :oreo: Now who else has an answer to solve this riddle?

The 14th Colony October 15th, 2003 06:23 AM

I am dissappointed. Is there no interest in this poll? Only two thinking people have thought and thunked and posted, out of several and various who've viewed but avoided? C'mon thunkers, this is an experiment! Don't let me down! :rolleyes:

BST October 15th, 2003 06:41 AM

14th Colony,

I tried to vote and it told me that I already did -- I didn't until this point. At any rate, I chose Temperature because it is different from the other two.

Reason:

Time and Distance are measurements that can only go 1 direction, forward.

Temperature, on the other hand, is a measurement which can go "backwards and forwards", i.e., "up" and "down".

Don't know if that's the correct answer but, that's where my thinkin', thankin', thunkin' mind led me. :)

BST

Dawg October 15th, 2003 07:11 AM

Time - because it is the single constant.

Distance depends on your objective, temperature is variable - but time marches on, inexorably, one tick after another.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

PlaidSquadron October 15th, 2003 07:56 AM

Time

time is just a perception, made up by people to explain aging.

Distance and temperature are physical dimensions. We understand "hot" and "cold" and "near" and "far" We can accurately measure those, but time is based on what? Days are different on different planets based on rotation aroung the sun. But a mile is a mile is a mile

jjrakman October 15th, 2003 08:17 AM

Time is based on the rate of degredation within a sphere of entropy.

BST October 15th, 2003 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jjrakman
Time is based on the rate of degredation within a sphere of entropy.
Thank YOU, perfesser!! :D

Dawg October 15th, 2003 08:40 AM

Time is a constant measure. Distance and temperature vary, depending on a variety of factors. Each is a subjective measure, certainly, and we have arbitrarily assigned values.

Distance and temperature are physical measurements. Distance is a linear, two-dimentional measure between two points. Temperature is a measurement of molecular excitement - the more energy, the more molecular/atomic excitement, the warmer it is. Another physical measurement, even if arrived at sideways rather than with a tape measure.

Time, though, no matter if you measure it in microns or seconds or something else, is constant, and is non-physical (although we measure it with machines called clocks). We cannot alter time's passing the way we can change distance (by moving) or temperature (by introducing energy to the air by fire or furnace).

I'm going to get to work now before I get yelled at. ;)

I am
Dawg

The 14th Colony October 15th, 2003 11:34 AM

BST:
Quote:

Don't know if that's the correct answer but, that's where my thinkin', thankin', thunkin' mind led me.
Remember peeps, there is one ultimately wrong answer, and several potentially accurate answers to answer the question.

PlaidSquadron, Dawg, BST, JJrakman, you're all doing good. I won't say yet if anyone got the right answer to the question or not. Y'all keep thunkin' now, and we need some new thunkers to get in here and do some thunkin' to answer the question.

amberstar October 15th, 2003 11:48 AM

Wow, everyone has some good ideas on this.
I voted for temperature because to me it differs from the other two.
Temperature to me, can physically be felt automatically.
The other two have to be realized over a longer duration, they are not so instant as temperature.
That is just my way of thinking;)

amberstar

Micheleh October 15th, 2003 11:58 AM

My answer is pizza.

Why? The TIME you bake a pizza at a certian TEMPERATURE determines the DISTANCE it can be delivered before it gets all manky.

'Temperature' is an arbitrary designation to measure reaction to stimulus caused by the transferrence of energies in the frequency perceived as 'heat'. The transferrence of energy is a function of frequency (time) over distance (wavelength).

'Time' is an arbitrary designation to sequence perception of and response to external stimuli provided by environment.

'Distance' is an arbitrary designation used to identify elements of the percieved environment into classifications of objects by the perception of intervening area as 'not'. (Focal point (self) to target of perception (tree) minus all areas in between which are not (self, tree) = distance.)

Distance and temperature may have identifiable, percievable components- radiation, air.... time is independent of the source of it's perception.

So I guess that makes my choice time, assuming that the question is 'one of these things is not like the other..."

Micheleh October 15th, 2003 12:42 PM

...of course, my answer is esentially wrong as well.... theoretically, time is dependent on perception. Remove object and effect, and you theoretically remove time, but since there's no way to test that one, we have to use what we have. So, potentially accurate within accepted parameters.

That's the essential problem of any science- true lack of subjectivity is impossible.

Flamingo Girl October 15th, 2003 09:23 PM

Time cannot be changed.

Distance is relative. I can borrow or rent or in some way obtain some sort of vehicle with which to travel distances. It is common to drive or fly to distant locations that are too far away to walk to.

Time cannot be changed.

Temperature can be adjusted with air conditiioning, heaters, and clothing. When it gets cold, I put on a coat, and wrap my self in blankets. When it gets hot, I turn on a fan.

Time cannot be changed.
When I wait for something to happen, I can't skip events to get to it. I can't go back and fix mistakes or relive my adventures. I can't make my neice a little girl again.

Time frustrates me, because it can't be changed.

Micheleh October 15th, 2003 11:00 PM

"Distance is relative."

Yeah, the farther they are, the happier I am.

*Badaboom!*

thomas7g October 15th, 2003 11:41 PM

I could say Distance cause it don;t start with a T. Or I could say Distance because it is the only choice that gives physically visible units.

or I could say time cause it is the one measurement you can't keep fixed. That is if you look at the clock again it will be slightly different until tommorrow

jjrakman October 16th, 2003 08:18 AM

Actually time can be changed. Einstein's theory of relativity shows that as speed accelrates, time slows down. This effect has been proven using supersonic aircraft and atomic clocks.

Dawg October 16th, 2003 08:31 AM

The closer to the speed of light, the slower time passes. If normal matter were able to actually reach the speed of light, time would stop for that particle.

But my Saturn tops out at 120 mph, I think (not that I've ever had it up that fast - but it's real smooth at 90), so I don't think I'm in any danger of approaching light speed and of time dilation being an issue.

My argument stands.

I am
Dawg

The 14th Colony October 16th, 2003 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dawg
The closer to the speed of light, the slower time passes. If normal matter were able to actually reach the speed of light, time would stop for that particle.

But my Saturn tops out at 120 mph, I think (not that I've ever had it up that fast - but it's real smooth at 90), so I don't think I'm in any danger of approaching light speed and of time dilation being an issue.

My argument stands.

I am
Dawg

Ya know, I am often late to work so I speed on the roads there in hopes that Einstein was right, and the closer I get to the speed of light that time will slow down. But it never works because I am always just as late. Damn that Einstien! :(

LadyImmortal October 16th, 2003 02:31 PM

I voted for Time because it and Tide wait for no man!

LOL.

That and, well, I can keep the time by looking at the watch but ask me to calculate distance or tell you the temperature by stepping outside and I'll look at you weird.

Of course, all three have different ways to be told. For instance time is measured in seconds and minutes and hours and days and weeks and years (etc).

Distance is measured in inches, feet, miles, millimeters, centimenters, kilometers (etc)

And temperature is measured in farenheit, celcius or kelvin...

--Rhonda (now that my brain hurts, I'm going home)

Flamingo Girl October 19th, 2003 09:03 PM

But you can't go BACK.

You can reverse direction, you can create a hot room on a cold day, you can't go back to your childhood.

Of course my first answer, tho something of a joke, is actually one of the three, but not the one I ultimately voted.

The 14th Colony October 19th, 2003 09:33 PM

Well, class, you have all done well in my grand experiment, but who has actually theorized the correct answer to the question? Who even knows what the question was? Anybody remember what the question was?

nightscape2112 October 19th, 2003 10:29 PM

i voted for temperature, why because it is cold here tonight and i can have the door open, also there was no explanation for the question or even a question. so all answers are right and all are wrong. :) its all relative

nightscape

nightscape2112 October 19th, 2003 10:34 PM

just to get a little crazy here is how all are relative, time comes for some and goes for others. it is hot to one person and cold to another. what is far for one person is short to the other. all is relative to the person observing.

nightscape

dvo47p October 22nd, 2003 08:18 PM

Temperature

Time and distance are relative, the faster you go the slower your perception of linear time. (Clock ticks slower) Temperature (as radiation or light) can be used to tell distance so far away that it is measured by time. Of these three, I picked Temperature, a WAG.