Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Entertainment (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   favorite episodes of series (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8185)

skippercollecto October 18th, 2004 06:12 AM

favorite episodes of series

What are your favorite episodes of various series (not necessarily scifi/fantasy) that you watch over and over and never tire of? The episodes you think are near-perfect?
This is my list:
The Flintstones--No Biz Like Show Biz (the one of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm singing). I first saw this in 1968, when I was in first grade. It was the first time an episode of something "blew me away" and fortunately or unfortunately, that phenonemon of getting "freaked out" by an episode still happens to me occasionally to this day.
Galactica is easy, of course. It's "The Hand of God."
Other series:
SeaQuest--Bad Water. Not only is it nerve-wracking, the part where Royce D. Applegate and the others sing that sea chanty still gives me chills.
Quantum Leap--Catch a Falling Star. I went around singing songs from "Man of La Mancha" for days afterward when I first saw this episode.
The Cape--RIP. Gave me chills when it first aired; it still makes me cry.
More recently, the episode "Is There a Doctor in the House?" from the first season of Everwood blew me away. It was the first episode in which everything totally "meshed" with the characters and they finally started getting along. It doesn't make me cry or anything, but it does make me smile.

BRG October 18th, 2004 07:17 AM

Star Trek Favs

Star Trek- City on the Edge of Forever I know it's fashionable to dismiss this episode these days, but for me it is still TOS's greatest hour.

Star Trek TNG- Best of Both Worlds A brilliant cliffhanger, still my favorite episode from ANY Trek show.

Star Trek DS9- Our Man Bashir A quirky wee episode that I loved.

Star Trek VOY- Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy Another light hearted one. This time we see the Doctor's daydreams, were he is an all action hero who is irrisistable to the ladies!

Star Trek ENT- Carbon Creek Of the two season showen on Channel 4, this delightfull episode is my favorite.
BRG

BRG October 18th, 2004 07:44 AM

Sci Fi Favs

Smallville- Rosetta Chris Reeve! Clark learns of his origins! Lex closes in on the cave's secret! And the message from Jor-El! BRILLIANT

Lois & Clark- Fly Hard The story told both in the presant day Daily Planet building, and in the same building during the 30's. All actors playing two parts, and a guest apperance by Robert 'Chakotay' Beltran

Babylon 5- The Coming of Shadows An amazing episode that set the bar for many outstanding episodes that followed. the outbreak of the Centauri-Narn war, and Londo taking the galaxy into the abyss. FANTASTIC!

Battlestar Galactica- War of the Gods Just pips 'The Living Legend' & 'Hand of God' as my favorite BSG episode. Patrick MacNee was brilliant as Iblis.

The X Files- Squeeze The episode with Toombs, the liver eating streachy dude who came out of hibernation every 30 years to feed. It really freaks you out!

SeaQuest DSV I can't recall the episode title, it was the one were they foud the haunted wreck in season 1.

Futurama- Roswell That Ends Well BRILLIANT! But any episode with Zapp Brannigan or Nixon's head could easily be my choice!

Red Dwarf- Polymorph I love so many of these episodes, but I'll choose Polymorph just for the shrinking underpants scene!
BRG

skippercollecto October 18th, 2004 02:53 PM

thought of a few more

I knew I'd think of a few more favorite episodes:
Lost in Space--Although I love all the Penny episodes, it's a toss-up between "My Friend, Mr. Nobody," and "Princess of Space." "Mr. Nobody" is excellently written and the ending can make you cry. I know that "Princess of Space" is very silly, but it does bring up a question of the creation of the Robot that is never answered, and it also gives you a glimpse into Penny's future. I've always thought that she might have gone back to the planet to become a lady-in-waiting.
Star Trek Voyager--It's "Blink of an Eye" hands down. Another one of those "blew me away the first time I saw it" episodes. It's a very sweet episode, as you watch the development of a planet's civilization compressed into a very quick time period. But the comment about "collecting all the action figures" is one of the funniest lines in any episode of any Trek, and a definite dig at diehard ST fans.
On a more mundane note, the episode of the Brady Bunch where Peter tries to romance a girl named Kerry, and his brothers and sisters put on that goofy soap opera re-enactment, is an episode that always makes me both cry and laugh.

Mary

skippercollecto October 18th, 2004 02:57 PM

our word keeps getting replaced

I was trying to spell T.O.S.S.-U.P., meaning that I like both equally.
But T.O.S. keeps getting translated to "the original series."

skippercollecto March 12th, 2009 08:06 AM

favorite episodes of series

I've resurrected this thread because I have a new one to add to it.
The episode of "Life on Mars" last night entitled "Coffee, Tea or Annie," blew me away. I was laughing to the point of hyperventilation during the middle of the episode, but had tears on my cheeks at the end when the song playing was, of all things, my favorite Partridge Family song, "Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque." I'd not been that overwhelmed by a TV program in years!
Mary

Athene March 12th, 2009 09:09 AM

Re: favorite episodes of series

Star Trek TOS "Trouble with Tribbles" and "Amok Time"

Star Trek TNG "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Best of Both Worlds"

Athene March 12th, 2009 09:23 AM

Lois and Clark. The episode where Lois finally realizes Clark is Superman. The episode where they finally get married for real.

Charmed. The very first episode.

Damocles March 12th, 2009 11:46 AM

"Sleeping in Light": Babylon 5

Kester Pelagius March 12th, 2009 12:27 PM

Interesting question. I pondered this a moment and was actually surprised at the first thing that popped into my head. My answer. .

I could watch the Voyager episode with Andy Dick in it over and over and almost never tire of it. It's probably the ONLY VOY episode I actually sat through from beginning to end when it first aired. Actually, come to think of it, I could probably also say the same of the other VOY episode that centered on the holographic doctor. But I'd sooner watch a reality show about people eating raw sewage than sit through anything else VOY ever again.

Not that the series sucked or anything. Just saying. :rolleyes:

I also rather enjoyed Stargate SG-1's 200th episode.

Damocles March 12th, 2009 12:51 PM

"Message in a Bottle"? Blegh!

Aphrodite March 12th, 2009 01:50 PM

Babylon 5 "Severed Dreams"
seaQuest "Dream Weaver" (sorry, but I'm a huge Mark Hamill fan)
Firefly "Jaynestown"
Battlestar Galactica -- Well, I love them all!
CSI "Grave Danger"

Damocles March 13th, 2009 05:43 AM

"The Hungry Sea" Lost in Space.