Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica and Fleets News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica Movie News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18679)

ernie90125 July 27th, 2014 02:20 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernie90125 (Post 314304)
Sorry, I had them both open and posted the earlier link by mistake.

I have emailed the journalist who promptly came back saying the case is due to go to court next month...if it's not delayed again!

The case has been delayed by about another year...according to said journalist watching matters.

martok2112 July 27th, 2014 03:18 PM

Folks, there is no "good fight". Not anymore.

Producers are going to do whatever they want to do. Their only interest is in generating money. If they get it out of the old school fans, great. If they generate tons of new viewers and fans, well, for them, that's greater.

Know why?

Old fans die. Sometimes they die simply in the sense that they refuse to step forward to the new offering. Other old fans die as in dead and buried. In any case, a dead fan (whether metaphorical or literal) is not a money spending fan.

So, the choice is:
Keep writing the same ol' fluff that attracts the old school fans, and does nothing for the modern audiences. Keep writing the same ol' fluff til the old school fans are gone, and then you're writing to thin air.

Or you can write a new version that appeals to the modern audiences. You can choose to respect the old schoolers with a couple of nods here and there, or implement the one or two elements of the old stuff that might actually be transcendent enough to extend into the modern market, but most of it is going to have to be what appeals to today's guard.

Why? 'Cause that's where the money is. The new guard.

Recently, I had the relative displeasure of watching (out of morbid curiosity) "The People vs. George Lucas". A most damning tale about the nature of fandom if ever I saw one...and further justification for my abandoning fandom. Fans think they own the very thing that they don't. "Please don't take my Star Wars awayyyy.....I wrote the next paaart." :rolleyes:

Back when I was a fan, I used to think that I had a damn good continuation for old school Galactica. But, it was a pipe dream...and I realized I had fallen into the fanboy trap. That's part of the reason why I never finished my other fan-fics. What was the point? Except to write them for myself? Ultimately, that's what you have to do is write for yourself, with the notion that it's never going to make a difference anywhere.

Fans don't decide things. Producers do.

All the fans can do is latch on and enjoy, or scream "childhood rape victim" and rage in futility and impotence until someone listens...which no one ever will.

I, as a non-fan of anything anymore, have only one requirement from Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, or The Muppet Show: Entertain me. If the movies/shows have done this, then mission accomplished, for I hold no higher standard to any one over any other.

Nowhere do I mandate that there must be some kind of fanservice done for my benefit or masturbatory fanboy pleasure.

If what I am seeing is an entirely new take on something I loved before, please, simply, entertain me.

Read my signature, folks. It helps.

Senmut July 27th, 2014 03:36 PM

Once more, Martok is vague and indirect. C'mon, Martok, declare yourself plainly!!!!

martok2112 July 27th, 2014 05:16 PM

What seems to be your boggle, sir?

Senmut July 27th, 2014 06:06 PM

Hyperbole, sir. Hyperbole.

martok2112 July 27th, 2014 06:19 PM

Hyperbole? pfft....balderdash.

Senmut July 27th, 2014 08:06 PM

Okay. How about some balderpiffle?

martok2112 July 27th, 2014 10:58 PM

One lump, or two?

Senmut July 28th, 2014 01:20 AM

That was sweet of you.

137th Gebirg July 28th, 2014 10:33 AM

Heh...all onomatopoeia aside, that was well written, Martok. I think I came to that same conclusion myself many years ago about a number of different things but was unable to effectively verbalize it in quite the way you have. Well said!
:thumbsup::salute:

martok2112 July 28th, 2014 04:18 PM

:salute: Thank you.

I thought two lumps would be good too....

...oh...you mean... Ah...cool...thank you. :) :salute:

Andreas July 29th, 2014 05:07 PM

The Legacy and Return of “Battlestar Galactica”: Room 6BCF, 10:30 a.m. Actors Richard Hatch, Luciana Carro and Jamie Bamber join Dr. Kevin Grazier (science consultant for “Battlestar Galactica”) and producer Alec Peters to discuss the new “Battlestar Galactica” movie and show the Trailer.
???? Trailer?? Concept Trailer?

Link:
http://www.ibtimes.com/comic-con-201...s-sdcc-1633668

Is this true? Have somebody information or saw the ''Trailer''?

137th Gebirg July 30th, 2014 06:54 AM

^^^ Interesting. First I've heard of this. Thought it was all still caught up in litigation hell between Larson and Universal. Sounds promising. I'll have to go digging for the trailer, provided it's not a re-showing of Hatch's old trailer from the 90's.

Darrell Lawrence July 30th, 2014 11:54 PM

I'm sure it was the Second Coming trailer (and probably the Magellan trailer too).

Senmut August 21st, 2018 10:08 PM

And still we wait...

Charybdis August 27th, 2018 09:49 AM

Yup...same thing is happening to the new Indiana Jones movie. First it was supposed to be out in 2019, then 2020, now 2021...sheesh...

Senmut August 27th, 2018 10:09 AM

Ya gotta love lawyers.....

Jayworld August 27th, 2018 02:24 PM

Latest from Francis Lawrence regarding the new movie is here:
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/bat...ncis-lawrence/

Dated from March of this year, here and elsewhere are signals of character "gender swapping" and nods to both the classic and GiNO versions.... Wow, imagine that. I once had a lot of hope for the franchise with the Fox telefilm continuation that was cancelled in 2001 and with Richard Hatch's Second Coming version. Now I feel Galactica as I know it and like it will be only through the DVD set and MeTV reruns on Saturday nights....sigh.

Charybdis August 29th, 2018 11:50 AM

Speaking of that, don't forget, Monday, Sep. 17th will be the 40th anniversary!!!

Eric Paddon August 29th, 2018 01:58 PM

Let's face it alas. Anytime the name "Battlestar Galactica" gets associated with any potential project it will always be for these people in reference to the other entity and will be made according to the standards and templates of the other entity. As far as I'm concerned, that's less than worthless.

Painful as it is for Galactica fans to admit this, we lost the war for what Galactica means and represents to the people who hated the original and shoved the other entity down our throats and guaranteed that "their" version would become the default meaning of what Galactica is. I accepted that sad reality long ago and it made it easier for me to move on and why I wouldn't let myself ever get enthused about any potential project again because it's not going to be what any of us, all those long years ago when fandom was at its peak in the late 90s, ever thought would happen.