Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   ART Work - Finished (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica: The Promised Land (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18243)

David Kerin April 7th, 2012 06:26 PM

Battlestar Galactica: The Promised Land

Hey all... I guess I can call this an Easter gift, since it happens to be around that day.

Have not done a fan edit in a while, but after talking a good bit with BionicBob, he got my imagination going. And I decided to take Galactica 1980 and see if something can be edited together to form some kind of a story that can end the series... in some way at least.

So this is what I came up with. Its not perfect, and certainly has its flaws... but I hope it tells a bit of a story you may like.

http://youtu.be/ElH6MuWYvig

I will still be tweaking this and will update the link when any changes are made.

Let me know what you think.

Dave

CBSG4ever April 7th, 2012 09:27 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica: The Promised Land

Thank you, David. This was a real treat. I, for one, enjoyed it. :salute:
Happy Easter and best to you.

BST April 7th, 2012 09:45 PM

Dave,

That was terrific!!

Thanks for the Easter gift!

:)

David Kerin April 8th, 2012 07:17 AM

And any ideas you get for the edit let me know. Going to continue with this, so why not make it a collaborative effort.

For a minor tweak there are audio fixes I have to make.

Glad you're liking it so far.

Titon April 8th, 2012 12:35 PM

Outstanding!

:D

David Kerin April 8th, 2012 02:13 PM

Hey all...

Tweaked the audio a bit, and added a new shot of the AB raider entering the atmosphere. Not major, but uploaded a new version. I changed the link a the top of the topic, and here it is too...

http://youtu.be/ElH6MuWYvig

Apolloisall April 9th, 2012 01:06 PM

I didn't think ANYTHING could be done with 1980... but you did it.
:salute:
That was fun.

borjis April 13th, 2012 03:10 PM

any change to G80 is an improvement. :)

Just took a few peeks, will watch it after work tonight.

thanks David!

Apolloisall April 13th, 2012 03:22 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to thank you!
So...THANKS DAVID!!!:salute:

David Kerin April 13th, 2012 06:10 PM

Adding some additions to the edit, so there will be a Version 2... or at this point is it 3? Hopefully not to far down the road. Time permitting of course. It is fun to see what can be pieced together to try and form a new story. Not always perfect, but certain allowances have to be made.

Really glad you're all liking it so far.

Apolloisall April 13th, 2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kerin (Post 309430)

Really glad you're all liking it so far.

Hey, we just thank the Lords of Kobol that a true fan as artistically & technically capable as yourself can find the time to make & share this stuff with us!
:salute:

BruCar April 13th, 2012 07:22 PM

Dave,

great vid !!

jewels April 17th, 2012 07:53 PM

Wonderful. Like someone already said: you made something terrific from G-80.

The only scene I didn't buy was the moment Dr. Zee blew up, only because he's deep inside the ship and it would have blown from the hull in. I was amazed at how you managed to scrub the condescension of Zee out and restore Adama to full leadership.

Loved the next generation footage. That was the icing flowers on the icing of the cake.

Terrific storyline and I couldn't believe how many places you were able to pull scenes from and have it flow as a complete story. Nice work on the V.O. as well.

David Kerin April 18th, 2012 04:14 AM

Jewels, I never thought of that about Zee blowing up. I think something in me wanted to see him go up. Plus Zack blows up real good in Saga. But now I'm just searching for reasons. Glad you like!

Apolloisall April 18th, 2012 07:46 AM

Hey David, isn't Universal interested in making money? I bought the Star Trek TOS DVD sets with the revised FX, I sure would buy a Galactica DVD set YOU fixed up! Someone at Universal must be aware of what you're doing, and how well received it is by us fans, no? Can you tell us anything about this?

David Kerin April 18th, 2012 08:10 AM

That would be awesome, and I wish I did know anything about it to tell. I did read somewhere that someone, I think Mojo who's done a lot of great CGI work in tv/film, actually put together a proposal with samples and how much it would cost. Universal turned it down. Maybe some day. If it would happen, I can see it being done when/if a big budget movie ever gets made, so to tie in with the interest there.

I think what I did gives some idea of what could be done, but no where near the quality it would need to be. If they did a professional remastering, along the lines of ST TOS, I'd be there in line to buy it... especially on Bluray.

David Kerin April 19th, 2012 06:33 AM

Hey all! NEW UPDATED VERSION ONLINE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1b7vYARJM

This one has a good bit added to the latter half, with more stuff on Earth, and a bit of a final meeting. And a nice Dr. Zee moment thought up by JSC1 over at Tombs.

There's still more I'd like to do on this, as ideas keep coming forward, but I have other things that I actually should be working on. Though editing something BSG is a lot more fun! So as a great mind once said, fan-edits are never finished, they're just abandoned. This one is at its momentary abandonment point. But who knows, down the road I may come back and add more as time permits.

So please check it out and let me know what you think. The stuff added in is a bit more action and some fun. Hope you enjoy.

Dave

Punisher454 April 19th, 2012 09:44 PM

this is getting better each time. Keep it up DK.

David Kerin April 22nd, 2012 10:29 AM

UPDATE... THE FINAL!!!!!

Okay... this is it. Most is the same, but I tweaked Adama's speech at the end, and added a quick scene that actually gives some wrap-up for Apollo and Starbuck (and Sheba). Additions start at around the 34:00 mark if you wanted to jump in at that point.

See what you think!

http://youtu.be/se4Ejnn18e8

And thanks again for all the positive words, ideas and help.

Dave

Apolloisall April 22nd, 2012 08:00 PM

Oh my, David, the little tweaks just notched it up almost enough to move me to tears (but I don't cry- I'm a warrior).
This word is so over-used, but it fits, so...
AWESOME!!!!:eek:
Thanks.
I salute you, sir.:salute:

Wow. :yikes:

Senmut April 23rd, 2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apolloisall (Post 309451)
Hey David, isn't Universal interested in making money? I bought the Star Trek TOS DVD sets with the revised FX, I sure would buy a Galactica DVD set YOU fixed up! Someone at Universal must be aware of what you're doing, and how well received it is by us fans, no? Can you tell us anything about this?

I got the Trek DVDs from the Library, and while the picture quality was superlative, the disks themselves were disapointment. No labels, and some of the edges were not smoothed. I had at least two disks that would not even play in my main unit, they were so badly machined.
Everyone is going to make a ton of money off them, sure, but you would think CBS could be a bit less cheap about it.

Titon April 23rd, 2012 09:51 AM

That was really good this time David...

Thanks for putting up the effort.

BST April 23rd, 2012 06:36 PM

That was outstanding!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My sincerest thanks for putting this together.

Dawg April 23rd, 2012 08:06 PM

Excellent, just excellent.

Thanks, David.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

Apolloisall April 23rd, 2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 309488)
Excellent, just excellent.

Imagine how David could fix Lucas' three prequels...:rotf:

Dawg April 23rd, 2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apolloisall (Post 309489)
Imagine how David could fix Lucas' three prequels...:rotf:

You think there's a half-hour's worth of usable material from those three movies?

;)

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

jewels April 23rd, 2012 09:44 PM

Hmm. Interesting puzzle. How long is the Pod race in Phantom Menace? The clone manufacturing place in the clouds was neat. The battle that the clones came in at the end to win or rescue Padme, Anakin, Obi Wan, etc. (My memory is fuzzy, it didn't inspire much rewatching). Beyond that....hmmm.

I must say I'm preferring the Anakin of the animated Clone Wars to the later Anakin. And Padme became an exercise in how to dialogue torment a perfectly fine actress into immobility by episode III.

Jewels

Thunderstruck April 25th, 2012 06:31 AM

Looks great Nice Job.

though I have not got past first few minutes. Gfx Problem.

I may be infected with a damn virus.

Will have to finish looking at it later.

Kudos to Kobol.

David Kerin August 31st, 2012 09:24 AM

Hey all... I have a new, and I really think final, version of BG: The Promised Land on youtube. Went back in to smooth out some of the edits that bothered me, and I added an epilogue that ties in to a part of Battlestar mythology which also leaves a bit of a cliff hanger. There is also a little preview trailer for what I wish could be next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX7VN...1&feature=plcp

Hope you like!

Dave

Titon August 31st, 2012 11:40 AM

Great as usual Dave....