Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica and Fleets News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica Movie News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18679)

jewels May 2nd, 2014 09:41 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayworld (Post 313977)
Well, you do know that Battlestar is a rip-off of Star Wars, right (at least, that's what Lucas thought).:rotf:

and he, himself said C3PO and R2D2 were based on Laurel and Hardy. :rotf:

Senmut May 2nd, 2014 10:09 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewels (Post 313904)
honestly, i think anyone in this fandom has a right to be a little cynical, or even a lot cynical about this.

amen!

Sarika May 3rd, 2014 11:09 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayworld (Post 313977)
Well, you do know that Battlestar is a rip-off of Star Wars, right (at least, that's what Lucas thought).:rotf:

Wasn't Battlestar Galactica already written and in a desk drawer about a year before Star Wars even was released on the big screen?

Senmut May 4th, 2014 05:34 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
At least an outline, or so I heard once. Until SW was a success, no one was interested.

monolith21 May 13th, 2014 08:15 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
I really hope Glen gets it done this time. Lord knows we've been through it with these hopeful projects, but it does put a smile on my face every time it comes up. I like that it just won't die!

Senmut May 13th, 2014 10:20 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
I'll believe it when I see the credits start to roll.

monolith21 May 16th, 2014 03:48 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
You and me both. I've been a cheerleader for this even after many others became cynical but even I have my limits. If it happens I'll see it probably ten times in the theatre...but that is a strong IF at this point.

That said, I'll support it any way I can!

137th Gebirg May 16th, 2014 07:25 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
I, too, will believe it when I see the opening credits roll, but it definitely feels real this time. Universal apparently sent one of their photographers to get hi-res photos of the original filming model for possible promotional uses. Hoping beyond hope, but it actually looks like something may finally be happening now.

Senmut May 16th, 2014 07:03 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
Or to just get the opoosition to quiet down?

BST May 16th, 2014 08:01 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
Much of the push IS likely related to the beginning of production for SW VII. My hope is that they can knock it out of the ballpark, with this one and set the stage for more. I'm hoping that the recent success of Star Trek, combined with Star Wars coming back, will pull in Galactica and get some good sci-fi back in the theaters again.

Gemini1999 May 16th, 2014 08:13 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
I'm feeling positive about this. There have been so many "announcements", but I believe that both Glen and Universal feel that this finally needs to get done. Glen probably doesn't have that many years left and Universal would hope that the time is right for them to have a franchise genre film to one-hour there with Trek and Star Wars. The news about the original filming model undergoing restoration and being photographed on Universal's dime means something is afoot. Whatever form it takes, I'll see it at least once, but I hope it's good. By now, the studio has 2 series from different eras and by now, they must have some Ida as to what will work and what won't. I imagine that there's been plenty of discussion on what kind of film will have the broadest appeal. Only time will tell. Until then, it's fun to think about.

PaulGTweed May 17th, 2014 06:47 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
The writer chosen to write the screenplay doesn't inspire confidence. He wrote Transcendence. It bombed at the box office.

Senmut May 17th, 2014 04:10 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
If GL, Hatch, Bellisario, and maybe one or two other of the original bunch were on board to write, I'd feel more confident.

Rhaven Blaack May 19th, 2014 12:23 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
I am still dubiously curious to see how it will turn out (good or bad).

PaulGTweed May 19th, 2014 08:46 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
Transcendence was about a scientist (Jonny Depp) who is killed and his wife transfers his consciousness/soul is into a machine.

jewels May 21st, 2014 05:24 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
PaulGTweed, did you see it? was it a decent story? I never believe critics.

Raptornet May 22nd, 2014 04:09 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
The worry I have about this BSG movie is that like many producers who are given a butt load of cash. They will loose sight of the goal, J.J's Star Trek is a good example. Dont get me wrong, I think both are great, fun science fiction movie's. I'm just not so eager to call what I'm seeing Star trek. So now when I hear the term 'reboot' associated with something else I like, I start to worry.

I'm was a fan of the original BSG well before the mini series in 2004, but I liked that also. Ok I had a problem with the ending, but compared to most of the rubbish on TV. The modern BSG was damn good science fiction. Which is hard to come by, when the likes of Firefly get cancelled. How that happens, I will never know!

It would be great if they throw in stuff specially for the fans, but the cynic in me has to be brutally honest. The 70's format of BSG will simply not entertain a young audience of today and bums on seats is what sells a movie.
The only people making movies that services the fans ARE fan films and few of those get off the drawing board.

But who knows right? like the rest of you, I'll be watching the progress of this production. I just wont allow myself to build up my hopes, after the mess that was Star Trek 2009. It would crush me to buy a ticket and see yet ANOTHER show I love, ruined on the big screen.

PaulGTweed May 22nd, 2014 08:07 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptornet (Post 314100)
The worry I have about this BSG movie is that like many producers who are given a butt load of cash. They will loose sight of the goal, J.J's Star Trek is a good example. Dont get me wrong, I think both are great, fun science fiction movie's. I'm just not so eager to call what I'm seeing Star trek. So now when I hear the term 'reboot' associated with something else I like, I start to worry.

I'm was a fan of the original BSG well before the mini series in 2004, but I liked that also. Ok I had a problem with the ending, but compared to most of the rubbish on TV. The modern BSG was damn good science fiction. Which is hard to come by, when the likes of Firefly get cancelled. How that happens, I will never know!

It would be great if they throw in stuff specially for the fans, but the cynic in me has to be brutally honest. The 70's format of BSG will simply not entertain a young audience of today and bums on seats is what sells a movie.
The only people making movies that services the fans ARE fan films and few of those get off the drawing board.

But who knows right? like the rest of you, I'll be watching the progress of this production. I just wont allow myself to build up my hopes, after the mess that was Star Trek 2009. It would crush me to buy a ticket and see yet ANOTHER show I love, ruined on the big screen.

Ron Moore turned Battlestar Galactica into secular humanist TOS Star Trek. I was able to predict how the stories would end after the first few minutes. Ron Moore's BSG only lasted as long as it did because it was only on the SYFY Channel. On Network, it would have lasted maybe one or two seasons. DVD, Blu-Ray, online streaming, Cable/Satellite TV yes, even Bittorrents can be a deciding factor in a potential film sequel being made if the first film doesn't do well at the box office. Buckaroo Banzai:Across the 8th Dimension in 1984 is an example where a decent film barely made anything at the box office made a ton after it was shown on Cable TV and VHS videotapes.

gmd3d May 22nd, 2014 09:35 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
While I am not a member of Staff, I would point out that discussion of TNS is not permitted on Colonial fleets, only discussion of TOS is allowed. (art is excluded from this rule). lest the thread is closed :salute:

There is a facebook group supporting the new Galactica Movie project and some new images of the restored models are been shared. The current private owner of the Models has offered the models for use in the new Movie too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalacticaModels/

http://taraniscgi.files.wordpress.co...ctica-2014.jpg

A quote from the page.
Quote:

There are those that believe that the original filming miniature models from the 78 series Battlestar Galactica still have life out there for one last big screen appearance. Glen Larson is heading up an attempt to bring Battlestar Galactica back to the big screen, and now is the time to bring back the Big "G". The owner (a good personal friend) of many pieces of the Rag Tag Fleet, Vipers, Raiders, Baseship, and the Galactica, and a good friend of mine said he would like to do what no other production has done before, and that is go back and use the original models. Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, and others have never gone back in time and used the original models. Lets make Universal, and Glen Larson this offer known to them that these are models are available to go where no other models have gone before. "LIKING" this page gives a head count in numbers that agrees you would like to see the original models fly across the big screen again. These numbers do count, and the Studios like numbers so make you "Like" count.

Senmut May 22nd, 2014 05:19 PM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGTweed (Post 314104)
Ron Moore turned Battlestar Galactica into secular humanist TOS Star Trek.

AMEN!:salute::thumbsup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:18 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.11, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content and Graphics ©2000-Present Colonial Fleets