Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   What Glen Larson said about revival (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4726)

thomas7g October 24th, 2003 10:05 PM

What Glen Larson said about revival

... there is sooo much to talk about. Much of it was just fun and games. But there was no BIG announcement. He did clarify his position though and it sounded good.

he said he paid a large sum of money to get back the rights to a Galactica Movie. he said he can even do the version with walking vipers if he wanted to, though that's not something he is interested in.

he also talked about he and Tom DeSantos would like to do it together, provided he can tear Tom, the other tom, not me, away from his Xmen long enough to do it.

And Tom said he is interested in doing something too!

But he said he is waiting. Alot depends on how the audience changes after the mini airs. Will the vast public, and the fans of BG migrate over to the new one and forget the original? or will demand for a continuation stay strong?

if there is a demand he will do what he can to make it with DeSantos.

oldwardaggit October 25th, 2003 04:43 AM

Good stuff Tom.
OWD

oldwardaggit October 25th, 2003 04:45 AM

I have to play tonight, otherwise the wife and I would have flown down. Can't let the guys down in the band though. :(

OWD

kingfish October 25th, 2003 06:19 AM

We The Fans

We are alive and kicking. Our destiny is in our hands. We must wait and get more sigs. Can we do it hell yes. Then we write to the STUDIO. Clear and concise.

Stray Viper October 25th, 2003 09:02 PM

Also

I hate to be the one to say this, but we also need to open up the checkbook. DVD sales are critical in making the point. After all, it's a business and Larson paid a lot of money for those rights.

I for one will be purchasing the set (waiting for my next paycheck) especially since I wasn't able to make the trip to Galacticon.

amberstar October 25th, 2003 09:06 PM

:thumbsup:

The 14th Colony October 26th, 2003 04:43 AM

I will be buying the DVD set ASAP. I'm even more excited about it now than I was before.

Tom, you mentioned in another thread that the crowd was courteous and civil toward Moore, but I wonder how Larson was toward him? I can't imagine congratulatory handshakes from Larson to the man who is ruining the concept and characters that he created. Where there any exchanges of any kind between those two men? What about Richard Hatch? How was he toward Moore?

thomas7g October 26th, 2003 06:08 AM

ah... I couldn't sleep again!

So I'm back!

uhmmmm he was courteous, but he did make a ALOT of jokes at Ron Moores mini's expense. Basically he had no end of fun at Starbuck being neutered.

He attributed it to Ron's fault for making him wait an hour to give speech (Ron's section started about an hour and a half late) and having no place to go but the bar upstairs. So it was Ron's fault he's had a few to loosen up. :D

To that Dirk on the side of the room replied that he was still having one now! And he waved his glass to emphasize this. "What was it we use to call this?....Oh yeah! Ambrosia!"

:beer:

Krystal October 26th, 2003 01:03 PM

I'm really looking forward for the movie, this two combined definitely could make something that give us again what we love of Galactica.

Krystal

jewels October 28th, 2003 12:05 PM

It wasn't quite the announcement we thought we were getting, but some of it seems to depend on Tom's availability too; desire doesn't seem to be a problem for either of them though. Timing is possibly the biggest trick.

Glen and Dirk were really funny and it was cool to see their friendship come out as they joked about Moore's Starbuck (who isn't Starbuck at all).

If I had one word to describe the original cast it would be "gracious." And Richard was quite gracious to Moore. I never saw Moore interact other than up on the stage though, so I don't know how or if he interacted with Glen.

Just glad Glen was able to talk, he was actually sick earlier that day and came anyway.

CommanderTaggart October 28th, 2003 12:18 PM

Welcome back, Jewels.

God, it is SO hard to accept that X-Men 3 could in any way interfere with what we all so desperately want.

Here's prayers that the timing works out just right. It has to. I simply cannot accept that this movie might not happen.

And here's hoping the thousands of letters he's about to receive will help him set his schedule.

AlternityOrange October 28th, 2003 02:33 PM

Glen did not stay in the room to view Ron's material but instead went to the bar until he was done, as has already been stated. He referred to Ron once as "Gimme Moore." I think his opinion was clear.

Belloby October 28th, 2003 04:13 PM

Thanks for the report from Galacticon. Good to see Larson is still behind his creation. Did he say anything as to what the plot for a movie might be about?

Did he also say how we can help? I would very interested to know.

michaelfaries October 28th, 2003 04:20 PM

I'd ask that everyone keeps this in mind:

- Tom DeSanto is focused on "Transformers" right now, moreso than "X3."
- Tom DeSanto is still legally bound to the current Moore/Eick television BG show (by contract), to my understanding.
- Tom DeSanto and Glen Larson have had many conversations about potential directions and desires for a new Battlestar Galactica movie. However, it's my opinion that Mr. Larson would be the Executive Producer of said project, with Mr. DeSanto onboard in a producer role.
- I think Tom DeSanto would be leveraged for his track record on successful movies by Mr. Larson's team. (And the man - Tom - is just getting warmed up, folks.) Each man has his own ideas; each compliments one another. How that pans out remains to be seen.
- I get the impression that Mr. Larson would use Apollo and Starbuck at minimum, based on what he said about past plans. I don't know if that means the original actors would be Apollo and Starbuck, though. One would only hope...
- Tom DeSanto is truly TRULY a fan of the original, whether it has to take new forms, new characters, he gets it. (Ronald D. Moore, on the other hand... well, um.. no. I saw the footage at Galacticon and then I got up and left with one of the people on this page. Bleccchhh...)
- I get the strong impression that if the SCI-FI Channel BG mini-series goes to regular series, which it's scheduled to do (unless it somehow tanks incredibly badly -- and I mean VERY badly, like 200,000 households tuning in), Mr. Larson would ignite his Battlestar Pegasus movie idea. If the mini-series and ongoing series fails, maybe there will be a push for a BG movie focused on... BG.

Alright, I'm taking up my old ways. Time to stop.

Michael
:colwar:

michaelfaries October 28th, 2003 04:22 PM

For Belloby: Based on a question I asked during Mr. Larson's panel, we can hope he'll reach out to the fanbase. (I asked if he would, going forward.) I think, though, it'll be more of "here's what I'm doing" than soliciting help.

Michael

kingfish October 28th, 2003 05:05 PM

"We Jump Into The Unknown."

I guess all we can do is try.

KJ October 28th, 2003 11:28 PM

Quote:

- Tom DeSanto is focused on "Transformers" right now, moreso than "X3."
Thats what i've been saying Michael. Hello by the way!

kingfish October 29th, 2003 05:59 AM

X-3 is scheduled for a 2006 release.

Raymar3d October 29th, 2003 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by michaelfaries

Alright, I'm taking up my old ways. Time to stop.

Michael

Michael,

It's okay if you want to relax the retirement for a little while. It's better to let it out than to keep it bottled up. :)

Besides, I'm in enforced retirement out here in Texas, could use a little first hand reporting! :)

Ken :)

thomas7g October 29th, 2003 11:46 AM

michael! Please! join us! we LOVE to hear your pearly little tidbits!!!!

jewels October 29th, 2003 09:36 PM

Thomas, he's retired, he really is....from the tidbit business. That will be Darrell's cross to bear most likely. (and Darrell, always remember to ask them what is OK to say--and confirm that with the source. Don't just let someone you trust OK the info to spread or hold--talk to whoever the news is about 1st. Boy did I learn that one!)

But Michael if you want to hang with us and yack about other stuff, please do!

jjrakman October 29th, 2003 11:17 PM

Michael, fandom is lessened by your absence. Please return.

KJ October 30th, 2003 12:23 AM

I also agree, Mike the one guy we should all thank. If i wasn't for BG.com back in 1999 when i first heard about the BG:Second Coming Trailer and his kickass website. I wouldn't be as passionate about Galactica as i am now?

Michael's site showed me, BG may yet live again!

I understand you left BG.com with a new guy, but its not the BG.com that got me hooked into the revival, as your site did back in the day? If you never post online again, hope you remember old KJ. (yeah and er... everybody else too! :) )

later

KJ

shiningstar November 18th, 2003 05:17 PM

ojai22 February 14th, 2004 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas7g

But [Larson] said he is waiting. Alot depends on how the audience changes after the mini airs. Will the vast public, and the fans of BG migrate over to the new one and forget the original? or will demand for a continuation stay strong?

Larson said IF there is STILL an audience AFTER the mini airs, IF the fans don't migrate over to the mini, IF the demand for a continuation movie is strong, HE WILL MAKE A CONTINUATION MOVIE.

He is NOT saying the mini must be a success to boost interest in the mini. He is saying the OPPOSITE., no matter what anyone else is saying. Please note that.

Thank you........ojai22

kingfish February 14th, 2004 05:19 PM

Ojai like I stated before, you are a lady of wisdom.

dvo47p February 18th, 2004 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas7g
.he (Larson) also talked about he and Tom DeSantos would like to do it together, provided he can tear Tom, away from his Xmen long enough to do it.

And Tom said he is interested in doing something too!

But he said he is waiting. Alot depends on how the audience changes after the mini airs. Will the vast public, and the fans of BG migrate over to the new one and forget the original? or will demand for a continuation stay strong?

I take it the DVD sales have a lot to do with interest in a Larson Battlestar movie. What else can you say about the ‘mini’ Tom. If it the ‘mini’ does well does that bode poorly for a continuation sorta movie? I just wondered, if the LITE version does good it hurts OUR VERSION?

thomas7g February 18th, 2004 09:00 AM

How the Moore show relates to the old show is really unclear. Its not the direct "if they do good its bad for us" relationship that most fans are stuck on.

It could revive popularity in the old show. We could see articles written praising the original show. Interviews with the old guys. Lots of good stuff.

Its true people may say "the old show was so crappy compared to this". That would hurt us.

Mostly I am seeing alot of people who like both. And the BG03 is bringing old fans back to relive the old show. Speaking in terms of our website the amount of traffic it has generated has doubled what we had before the show aired. So we have ALOT more good posting about it.

Amazingly you could say the new show has made the old show alot more popular at fleets. Just look at how many threads we post per day now. :)

kingfish February 18th, 2004 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvo47p

I take it the DVD sales have a lot to do with interest in a Larson Battlestar movie. What else can you say about the ‘mini’ Tom. If it the ‘mini’ does well does that bode poorly for a continuation sorta movie? I just wondered, if the LITE version does good it hurts OUR VERSION?

dvo well stated. From what I make of this mess, there must be an interest for the LARSON product if a continuation is to take place.

shiningstar March 4th, 2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojai22
Larson said IF there is STILL an audience AFTER the mini airs, IF the fans don't migrate over to the mini, IF the demand for a continuation movie is strong, HE WILL MAKE A CONTINUATION MOVIE.

He is NOT saying the mini must be a success to boost interest in the mini. He is saying the OPPOSITE., no matter what anyone else is saying. Please note that.

Thank you........ojai22

NO Thank YOUUUUUUU!!!!!! :thumbsup: