Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   New BG Classic ongoing comic (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18356)

PaulGTweed June 15th, 2013 07:12 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
The May sales figures for this issue are out. It is at #153 sold 14,835. It has beat issues 20 and 21 of the ongoing Star Trek reboot comic book and the re-launched G.I.JOE.

JLHurley June 15th, 2013 10:23 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
#153 really isn't that bad considering it isn't a Marvel or DC title.

Senmut June 15th, 2013 01:00 PM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Don't let Imperious Leader hear about this!!!

Apolloisall June 15th, 2013 06:56 PM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
I'll check with my local comic book store, it looks good.

peter noble June 23rd, 2013 09:39 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Issue #2 is out this week.

Apolloisall June 23rd, 2013 10:24 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble (Post 311999)
Issue #2 is out this week.

Great! I got the first one the other day, no chance to read it yet, but it looks cool!:thumbsup:

peter noble June 24th, 2013 10:46 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Issue #2 preview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=17019

Apolloisall June 24th, 2013 10:56 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
I just read the first one & liked it a lot, but is it just me- it seemed so short, or did I just read it REAL fast?

peter noble June 27th, 2013 05:35 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Part two was just as good as the first, maybe better. D'n'A really know how to do last pages!

PaulGTweed July 15th, 2013 08:39 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
New Battlestar Galactica Classic #2 is at 187 10,503.

peter noble July 15th, 2013 10:50 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
1 Attachment(s)
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #6

Written by Dan Abnett, art by Ceaar Razek, cover by Clint Langley.

What is it like to be a member of the Battlestar's valiant crew? Find out in this issue as we follow the highs and lows of one duty shift aboard the Galactica... just a day like any other in the fight to keep Mankind alive!

32 pages, $3.99, in stores on Oct. 16.

peter noble August 15th, 2013 05:47 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Just read issue #3 and it maintained the high standard of the previous issues.

David Kerin August 15th, 2013 06:29 PM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble (Post 312069)
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #6

Written by Dan Abnett, art by Ceaar Razek, cover by Clint Langley.

What is it like to be a member of the Battlestar's valiant crew? Find out in this issue as we follow the highs and lows of one duty shift aboard the Galactica... just a day like any other in the fight to keep Mankind alive!

32 pages, $3.99, in stores on Oct. 16.

Love their cover art! I know its probably the 5th grader in me talking, but there is just something so cool about the classic designs. And this cover slightly reminds me of the Frazetta art, though a bit closer to the show in design. Maybe its the sharp angles and lines of the figures.

PaulGTweed September 15th, 2013 08:46 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Battlestar Galactica #3 is listed at 193 at 9,200. Issue 3 was predictable in the older Starbuck and the re-appearance of the Galactica at the end. The use of re-imagined BSG references 'Toaster' for the Cylons. Note: to Dynamite: If no re-imagined BSG references didn't exist in the original BSG TV series run. THEY SHOULD NOT APPEAR IN THE CLASSIC BSG STORIES! Dynamite being late to bring out this issue. Dynamite is still Fracking the original BSG Fans. The writer for this story arc is writing the sequel to Dynamite's Galactica:1980 comic which has the completely implausible destruction of the Galactica by a primitive earth nuclear missle twenty feet over the White House in Washington D.C.

martok2112 September 15th, 2013 10:32 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGTweed (Post 312287)
Battlestar Galactica #3 is listed at 193 at 9,200. Issue 3 was predictable in the older Starbuck and the re-appearance of the Galactica at the end. The use of re-imagined BSG references 'Toaster' for the Cylons. Note: to Dynamite: If no re-imagined BSG references didn't exist in the original BSG TV series run. THEY SHOULD NOT APPEAR IN THE CLASSIC BSG STORIES! Dynamite being late to bring out this issue. Dynamite is still Fracking the original BSG Fans. The writer for this story arc is writing the sequel to Dynamite's Galactica:1980 comic which has the completely implausible destruction of the Galactica by a primitive earth nuclear missle twenty feet over the White House in Washington D.C.

Interesting duplicity of thought there.

PaulGTweed September 16th, 2013 06:58 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 312288)
Interesting duplicity of thought there.

Sales are supposed to GO UP, NOT DOWN. #1 was 153, issue #3 at 193. Dynamite is losing money with each issue they bring out. Hopefully, Issue #5 will not resolve the Time Warp storyline. I have my doubts.

martok2112 September 16th, 2013 03:39 PM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
I don't mean to bust your chops, but the duplicity to which I refer is:

1. You obviously don't like that this comic series, whilst based in original series lore, is using terminology from the new series....apparently some kind of sacrilege or taboo.

2. You use a term that has been given a bit more expletive meaning in the new series to describe how you think original series fans are supposedly being treated by Dynamite....a term that has origins in the 1978 series, albeit with supposedly less profane intent.

Ironic? ;)

PaulGTweed September 18th, 2013 07:37 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 312298)
I don't mean to bust your chops, but the duplicity to which I refer is:

1. You obviously don't like that this comic series, whilst based in original series lore, is using terminology from the new series....apparently some kind of sacrilege or taboo.

2. You use a term that has been given a bit more expletive meaning in the new series to describe how you think original series fans are supposedly being treated by Dynamite....a term that has origins in the 1978 series, albeit with supposedly less profane intent.

Ironic? ;)

1. DUH!!! In the final issue of Dynamite's Galactica:1980 adaptation Adama is Bill Adama and Baltar is Gaius Baltar. The Colonials NEVER HAD FIRST NAMES IN THE ORIGINAL SERIES! The actual translation of their names from Aramaic would be Bill son of Adama. Not Bill Adama. Giving them first names and using re-imagined series references should be kept out of original BSG Canon because they ARE NOT TAKING PLACE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE. Adding the re-imagined series references is not attracting their fans bacause to them the original series is a glorified cartoon. 2. Glen Larson using Frack was his way of getting past the TV Networks Standards and Practices as well as the 8:00 p.m. timeslot regulations. If he had used his original Frak spelling Standards and Practices would not have allowed him to use that word on television.

martok2112 September 18th, 2013 10:57 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
No need to shout. :)

Your second point is something I had honestly always considered...that perhaps "Frack" was Larson's way of getting around the S&P's and censors of the time. A lot of original series fans would not agree with that supposition however. Many seem to think that it was more like "Oh, darn" rather than the meaning it was given in the recent series.

And only Poppa Larson knows for sure what his intent was. :)

But yes, Larson had to actually tone down a few things in the original series so that it could air in the late '70's. The relationship between Starbuck and Cassiopea was meant to be a lot steamier...or at least, their little fling in the launch tube in SASW was. The enemy had to be robotic, because the networks didn't want a high, organic body count on a week to week basis. And of course, they had to have a kid and a cutesy robot companion to appeal to children (of which original Galactica's audience was heavily comprised).

No, the original series characters did not have first names, and should not have in an ongoing comic series. But cross wiring is not unexpected.

Personally, I always had a problem with singular names. What if you're in a room that had three Apollo's in it, and someone calls out "Apollo!"? You're gonna get three heads that turn. It'd be just like trying to get a cute girl's attention in a crowd. "Lisa!......Lisa!" Three or four chicks might turn in the direction of the caller, and a couple of them might not be the attractive one the caller whose attention the caller is trying to get. Granted, in the original series, someone could've said "Apollo, Son of Adama!" and that might yield the more desired result, unless there were two sons of Adama in the room with the name "Apollo".

Dawg and I came up with a viable solution, which I used in my "Galactica: The Last Battlestar" story...my own retelling of the fall of the colonies and humanity's exodus to the stars.

The formal name for each character is fairly long, and is translated from ancient Kobol. The name basically cites the person, their mother and father, of the planet (enter planet here), of the House of Kobol. (And all Colonials are "of the House of Kobol". The informal version is just their singular name.

But, with any naming convention, you can still run into the problem of multiples in a room. At least this gives a bit more effort toward differentiation. :)

Apolloisall September 18th, 2013 11:07 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGTweed (Post 312315)
1 Adding the re-imagined series references is not attracting their fans bacause to them the original series is a glorified cartoon.

I feel bad for Ron though, I hear he busted his arm patting himself on the back after the finale...:D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.11, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content and Graphics ©2000-Present Colonial Fleets