Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   New BG Classic ongoing comic (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18356)

peter noble April 7th, 2013 04:49 AM

Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubal (Post 311536)
Huh... didn't see this at my bookstore. Need to see what is going on.

The first issue is next month.

peter noble April 12th, 2013 07:17 AM

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8218/...52013gr.th.jpg

Eric Paddon April 13th, 2013 09:32 PM

Time travel and alternate realities??? For crying out loud this is what did in Max Press years ago when they went all off-kilter after such a promising beginning. Why is it so impossible for these people to just do a nice simple continuation picking up off "Hand Of God" and take things from there???

Sorry for my perpetual cynicism but I just remain dumbfounded by how not a single official Galactica project ever gets it when it comes to entering things with the right mindset.

Senmut April 14th, 2013 04:45 PM

Because they aren't content to just enjoy, EP. They always feel that they know, somehow, what it "really needs", and so they play with it. They are like meddling children. We've seen this in GINO, as well as the mangling of the Trek franchise, and numerous other shows on TV.
Another reason both for, and why, the VS Project is so great. One can tell many and varied stories, without playing Picasso with the material.

peter noble April 20th, 2013 08:40 AM

Cover to Dynamite's Battlestar Galactica #3.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3...lestar3.th.jpg

Punisher454 April 20th, 2013 03:25 PM

Cover #3, really tasteless. I'd expect something like that from MAD magazine.

peter noble May 13th, 2013 10:52 AM

Preview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=16465

Reaper May 13th, 2013 06:36 PM

DO the artists even know the Facts of the original Series premiere? Adama with a Goatee? Basestars attacking the Fleet?

It's like all they know is Galactica 1980 and they were told to include certain facts.

Jubal May 14th, 2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 311563)
Why is it so impossible for these people to just do a nice simple continuation picking up off "Hand Of God" and take things from there???

There have been some Galactica that to me is done right. To me the Cylons were a element to keep the fleet moving from time to time. Actually I liked the aspect that as they got further and further out they saw the Cylons less and less, and I believe that in time the Cylons should not have been a factor at all.

What I liked was how the show explored other races. Encountered other beings. And ultimately I loved the banter between the pilots.

I liked how in the Marvel Universe comics a lot of stories were taking place amongst the fleet itself.

Sooooo many possibilities and what do we always get? Cylons.

And lately it seems to always hinge around defending Earth itself. Blah.

Oh well. I can hear in the background Catholic Nuns singing that song...

"You can't always get what you want...
you can't always get what you want..."

Senmut May 14th, 2013 05:27 PM

How would YOU do it, now?

PaulGTweed May 14th, 2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher454 (Post 311596)
Cover #3, really tasteless. I'd expect something like that from MAD magazine.

Cover #3 was inspired by Star Wars poster.

PaulGTweed May 14th, 2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble (Post 311537)
The first issue is next month.

May 15 according to Dynamite.

Jubal May 14th, 2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 311761)
How would YOU do it, now?

Glad you asked Senmut. :salute:

When I told my wife about the fleet how they had ships that had certain races, wealthy, poor, recreation, utility she said "Oh kinda like Babylon 5, just scattered among a bunch of ships."

I thought that was a great analogy. For a while after "Hand of God" I think they would have travelled a bit without planets, so more stories among the fleet

Characters growing in logical directions. Many characters. Maybe a few new characters. Boxey slightly older, Muffit a bit more developed. How could Muffit develop? Not sure, Boxey has been tasked to train Muffit, has been a while.

The Pilot banter. Apollo and Starbuck are a good duo, but what happens as Apollo and Sheba spend more time together. How much longer can Starbuck ignore how he and Cassiopia are progressing?

Pegasus pilots had to join the ranks of the Galactica. Would some of them scan the airwaves looking for their beloved commander Cain? What happens when they find Pegasus?

Do we deal with the aftershock of the holocast? Some people shutting down in the after math as people come to terms with what was lost?

An inventory of resources throughout the story. At times they trade for resources, and sometimes they have to look among the fleet for items of interest to the races they encounter. Sometimes there is no one to trade with, and they have to work with what is left. At times they have to come to a stand still till scouts find the next source of trade. All and all not bad. Cylons and those persuing are for the most part way behind, though new menaces are still around.

Would other Battlestars and sub battlestars be found?

Would alien ships join their fleet?

Look more into the religion that Adama and all follows.

More culture, terminology, more exploring into the brother's of man concept. More human colonies found, alien races. Progress towards Earth, and setbacks. As more human colonies are found, some pretty advanced, the question comes up more and more "Why the hurry to Earth? Is there an Earth?"

Cylons? I would actually like to see that threat minimized. Show up from time to time, learn more about them as a culture. They are machines though, the ghosts of a civilization long gone. What would a race without a soul, just an echo of the living be like?

Those are some I would touch on. I liked the banter, characters, and development of all the above.

Senmut May 14th, 2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubal (Post 311764)
Glad you asked Senmut. :salute:

When I told my wife about the fleet how they had ships that had certain races, wealthy, poor, recreation, utility she said "Oh kinda like Babylon 5, just scattered among a bunch of ships."

I thought that was a great analogy. For a while after "Hand of God" I think they would have travelled a bit without planets, so more stories among the fleet

Characters growing in logical directions. Many characters. Maybe a few new characters. Boxey slightly older, Muffit a bit more developed. How could Muffit develop? Not sure, Boxey has been tasked to train Muffit, has been a while.

The Pilot banter. Apollo and Starbuck are a good duo, but what happens as Apollo and Sheba spend more time together. How much longer can Starbuck ignore how he and Cassiopia are progressing?

Pegasus pilots had to join the ranks of the Galactica. Would some of them scan the airwaves looking for their beloved commander Cain? What happens when they find Pegasus?

Do we deal with the aftershock of the holocast? Some people shutting down in the after math as people come to terms with what was lost?

An inventory of resources throughout the story. At times they trade for resources, and sometimes they have to look among the fleet for items of interest to the races they encounter. Sometimes there is no one to trade with, and they have to work with what is left. At times they have to come to a stand still till scouts find the next source of trade. All and all not bad. Cylons and those persuing are for the most part way behind, though new menaces are still around.

Would other Battlestars and sub battlestars be found?

Would alien ships join their fleet?

Look more into the religion that Adama and all follows.

More culture, terminology, more exploring into the brother's of man concept. More human colonies found, alien races. Progress towards Earth, and setbacks. As more human colonies are found, some pretty advanced, the question comes up more and more "Why the hurry to Earth? Is there an Earth?"

Cylons? I would actually like to see that threat minimized. Show up from time to time, learn more about them as a culture. They are machines though, the ghosts of a civilization long gone. What would a race without a soul, just an echo of the living be like?

Those are some I would touch on. I liked the banter, characters, and development of all the above.

Ever check out the VS?

Jubal May 15th, 2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 311765)
Ever check out the VS?

What is VS?

PaulGTweed May 15th, 2013 06:20 PM

Has anyone bought it today? Is anyone willing to admit they have bought it todat?

Lara May 15th, 2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubal (Post 311771)
What is VS?

The Virtual Season Project, in the Fleets Forums, colonial library: use the jump forum pull down on the bottom of this page

The idea was to keep writing new seasons..

cheers
Lara

peter noble May 16th, 2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGTweed (Post 311772)
Has anyone bought it today? Is anyone willing to admit they have bought it today?

Got mine this morning. Enjoyable read with a few niggles but 4/5 overall.

Jubal May 16th, 2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble (Post 311781)
Got mine this morning. Enjoyable read with a few niggles but 4/5 overall.

I could agree with that.

A couple of shout outs:

1) Loved the meeting hall pic where the dialog starts "In the Seventh Millennium..."

2) Loved Apollo's comment with Dr. Zee Starting with "I know you think highly of Zee, Doctor...." Always wondered what they would have thought of him. :)

What happens towards the end of the comic is typical for a Galactica episode when you think about it.

JLHurley May 18th, 2013 10:01 PM

The issue definitely didn't thrill me but it was better than what we've seen in previous Dynamite series. I'd only give it a 2/5, though... There's so much potential but the writers just couldn't seem to tap into it, IMO.