Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shattered Worlds (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Cylon names (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18780)

Punisher454 September 24th, 2018 01:03 AM

Cylon names

I have had a little bit of time lately to advance one of my BSG projects but I'm having a bit of writers block on Cylon names.

Without re-reading all the novelizations and fan-fic does anybody have a list of centurion (and especially) IL names?

I'm needing some IL and command centurion names.

I have Lucifer, Spectre, Vulpa, Serpentine, Moray and Orion. I know there have been others but I cant recall. I need to generate a few new names but want to keep with the established theme.

any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Marvin

Senmut September 24th, 2018 03:37 PM

Re: Cylon names

Cyrus. The Centurion Starbuck repairs, in TROS.
And while not an IL, the Human-looking Cylon from "The Night The Cylons Landed" was called Andromus.
That help?

P.S. What's the project?

Punisher454 September 25th, 2018 01:52 AM

I'm still working on my Virtual season spinoff which branches off from the main story when the fleet leaves KI.

Same project I've been working on for several years, I just dont get much time to work on it. I'm telling the story through a story driven FPS video game format, but I have recently been considering doing a more conventional written version of the story as well.

I havent done very much in over two years, but I've been fixing up some of my 3d models and getting them functional in Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) when I get time to do so, which is about 2-4 hours a week lately.

The game is mostly an interactive story that you experience in 3d with full FPS combat and movement. I have an Oculus Rift that I have been using to test my "sets" such as galactica launching bays and hangers, and the fully functional interior/exterior of the colonial shuttle and landram. So far everything's working great with the scale and proportions feeling right.

When I got my Oculus last summer one of the first thing I did was set up the most complete versions of the launching bay, bridge, and landram I had and do a VR walkthrough of each. Even without any texturing applied yet, the still incomplete sets were a blast to walk around in. So after that I immediately adjusted my 3d modeling and game level designs standards and techniques to be compatible with VR, which basically means raising the bar way up for scale, proportions and fine details. This slowed progress, but its so worth it.

The story plays out through short chapters which are basically game levels. I plan to make public releases of individual levels (chapters) as I go rather that wait until the end for one massive release. I'll probably be working two to three chapters ahead when I release new ones.

As I have been writing this an idea occurred to me that makes several things easier. If I do make a fully written version of this story I can also release it one chapter at a time, at the same as the game levels, rather than having to completely finish writing it all the way to the end first. this could speed things up a bit.

But anyhow, I have quite a bit more foundation work to do do before I can show much.

thanks,
Marvin

Senmut September 25th, 2018 09:44 AM

KI?

I'm not a gamer.

Punisher454 September 25th, 2018 11:05 AM

I'll have to review since its been a while, but I thought the planet in the virtual seasons project with the dinosaur type reptiles was called "Ki"? Anyhow, thats the branching off point for this storyline.

And of course this isnt going to be for everybody, but it is less of a game and more of an interactive story that goes on around you in Virtual Reality. But thats also why i thinking more and more about a traditional written version as well. Right now good VR requires a serious computer and good VR gear (phones and playstation VR are not good gear). Its expensive and a little complicated right now, but in a couple more years the computer requirements will be more average mainstream and the VR gear will be even better and less expensive. Right now its really starting to take off for architectural design and stuff like that. Traditionally games are always what have pushed personal computer advancement along, and now VR technology is growing rapidly and it is probably going to be a fairly mainstream thing in the near future. By the time this project starts getting released, the hardware to really enjoy it will a lot more commonplace I think.

Senmut September 25th, 2018 09:19 PM

Oh, okay. You capitalized both letters, and it threw me off. me of the uber badness.

Punisher454 June 7th, 2021 01:20 AM

A little update on some of my projects.
I mad a bit of progress on my game/interactive story project last year but didnt share anything.
THIS thread was about names, so on that topic I decided to use name "Lemures" for a troubled IL series, and the name "Stratton" for the name of the main human character, both names have ancient meanings.
I was originally going to tell my story only through the Game (preferably in VR)
but something came over me and I started writing.

The story picks up with the Colonial fleet orbiting the planet Ki shortly before the fleet moves on. (I think virtual season 2 ep 2 or 3 ). Thats where it spins off with a small group on a secret mission going a different way.

Anyhow, The release of Unreal Engine 5 (still beta) is going to make a lot CGI stuff I wanted to do really easy and fast (and now possible). So I'm going to get back on it.

skippercollecto July 7th, 2021 04:53 AM

the young lords novelization

In The Young Lords novelization, the Cylons are Treebark, Mudhole and Hilltop.

Punisher454 July 9th, 2021 01:11 AM

I havent read the novelization, probably should read them all.
Those names sound like nick names that the kids might have called the cylons.