Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Entertainment (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Review- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for XBOX 360 (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12986)

martok2112 May 21st, 2006 09:53 AM

Review- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for XBOX 360

VIDEOGAME: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
DEVELOPER: Bethesda Softworks
PUBLISHER: Bethesda Softworks/2K Games
SYSTEMS: XBOX 360/PC (360 version reviewed)
RATING: T (Teen) for Blood and Gore, Language, Sexual Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Violence

Graphics: 4.0
Sound: 4.0
Control: 5.0
Story: 5.0
Endorphin Factor: 4.5
Frustration Factor: 4.5

Scoring system:
Average: 4.5/5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: Baldur's Gate, Doom 3.

DETAILS: The graphics are pretty nice, the sounds are good, the music is typical RPG fare in a medeival setting, but the action is fun. It's also a very, VERY big world, and it seems pretty open-ended. You can pursue the quest straight through, or you can travel about the world of Tamriel and take on other elements, completing the quest at your leisure.

As you travel throughout the land, the sky gradually changes from day, to dusk, to night, to dawn, and back to day. You'd swear you were on an allnight walkabout it you just walked throughout the country (slaying the occasional wolf or two).

Building architecture, and skies are simply beautiful. Water effects are not very impressive, and indeed remind me of Baldur's Gate...so that's kinduva step backwards.

Once you've been to places you know, you can fast travel there just by indicating it on the map, and then clicking "travel".

You can choose from 10 different races. You can choose from several different classes with their own skillsets...or you can create your own class with your choice of seven skill sets.

The buttons are mapped out for maximum intuitiveness...especially in battle.

When you get ready to step through an Oblivion gate, there is definitely a sense of "Holy frack, what am I about to get myself into here?!" When Oblivion gates can be seen from quite literally a mile away, and you walk upon them, you just kinda wanna shrivel a little.

Patrick Stewart has a cameo voice in the game as Tiber Septim, the dying Emperor who charges you with a quest to find his successor, and free Tamriel from the demonic Daedra.

The use of hotkeys (by way of the 8 direction D-pad) helps with weapons, items, and spell selection and usage.

You also have to keep track of the conditions of your weaponry and other items, as they do deteriorate. You can repair your weapons and armor with repair hammers, or take them to weaponsmiths who will repair your tools for decent prices.

Someone tells you to come back tomorrow...that's cool. You can take time to explore, or if you're impatient, you can "wait", and pick how long you wish to wait (up to 24 hours). Time then runs by, and you can then go and talk to the person who told ya "come back tomorrow" :D. Very handy. Waiting also allows you to heal up quickly.

There is just so much to see and do in this game, I can't begin to describe it all. You'll just have to buy/rent this game for yourself and see what I'm talking about.....I think we are seeing the future of RPG's with Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

BOTTOM LINE: If you own an Xbox 360, and have not picked this game up yet, you should. This is NOT your typical console RPG. It is more of a first person slasher with elements of RPG'ing (in the way of increasing your attributes and such). They keep it pretty simple in that regard. I will not say that this game is a sole-reason to buy an Xbox 360, but if you own a 360, this is a title that should NOT be ommitted from your collection.