Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   The Imax Showing report (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4716)

thomas7g October 24th, 2003 03:20 AM

The Imax Showing report

I just got home from viewing the IMAX showing!

To all who could not make it you were all missed!

First thing I noticed when I got there, the print on the badges were teenny weeny! So you could not tell someone by name. Which is REAL hard to do if you only know them by their internet handle! :D

But I did manage to find Jewels who I hung out with during the show. After the show I got to talk to Micheleh and Darrell and alternity orange!

Richard Hatch started off the show by welcoming us all as we sat infront of a HUGE white screen awaiting the show. He was warm and gracious and said he was now so appreciative of anyone who can manage a convention! I heard the last few days he must have been running around like crazy. :D

In attendance were Laurette Spang and Herbert Jefferson who hugged and embraced. Boomer sat behind Cassiopeia and they chatted and hugged both before and after the show. There were others too, but I really feel bad because I am HORRIBLE with names!!! Richard Hatch was up front where he ran the show. :)

let me tell you ... the opening credits are HUGE on an IMAX! And because its so big it feels more 3D. You feel like you have to duck! its like being assaulted by wave after wave! Remember in IMAX each set of names become about 8 stories tall as they approach you!!! I was literally leaning back in my seat out of reflex! But we cheered all the names as they flew by!

Then we got to see the image that we use for CF HUGE! The red nova pattern. As the guy who design the CF look, that was fun. :D

Then came the very first scene. The REAALY GIGANTIC entry of the battlestar from right to left. It was sooo big it looked like it was lifesize. You feel as if you are at scale with the ship! Teeny tiny details are blown up now.

The highlights of the show were of course the battle scenes. The scenes with Zac were great. The vipers and cylons were at times actual size. That was pretty nifty. :D

The only drawback was the romantic scenes. Two faces eight stories tall and you are only like 20 feet away. It was hard to see the whole face at once!!

The movie felt a little long. It was hard seeing a midnight show when you are old as Cain and you had a hard day. Jewels nodded off a few times. And a few of us were definitely a little cold from the jacked up air conditioning.

Attendance was better than I thought it would be. We filled about 40% of the theater. Which wasn't bad considering this showing was planned at the last minute. And hardly advertised.

Darrell believes we will have a decent amount of people at the con. I'm still a little worried. But it was good to see some of the cast together. :D

it was fun. But now tommy needs sleep!

Raymar3d October 24th, 2003 06:16 AM

I ENVY YOU TOM!!!

Man, I wish I still lived in LA!!!!

I'd be there, but I'm in crunch mode at work at a new job, and there was no way I could get off, let alone ask off at this point. :(

Have fun, and VIDEO for posterity if you can!!!!

Ken :)

oldwardaggit October 24th, 2003 08:03 AM

Sounds great and thanks Tom for the report :)

In a perfect world, we would all be there. :) :) :) :)

OWD

nightscape2112 October 24th, 2003 09:12 AM

i wish i could be there also, thanks for the updates and please keep them coming.

nightscape

peter noble October 24th, 2003 12:23 PM

Thanks for the update Tom, how big were the stars in the space shots?

Peter

thomas7g October 24th, 2003 12:32 PM

hehe don't know... the spaceships were pretty eye catching. They were often lifesized!! It was pretty amazing seeing a cylon raider full scale firing at you!

btw- I wanted to add, Laurette Spang mcCook is still very pretty. Though it was hard to recognize her as Cassiopeia. in fact I didn't....she was sitting next to me in the theater and I didn't recognize that it was her until Hatch called out her name...First I was shocked. Then I felt dumb. Then I felt gutless cause I was too shy and flustered to say anything. (She was busy chatting with two blond women with her and Herb Jefferson, Jr.)

:)

Krystal October 24th, 2003 12:44 PM

Wow! sounds great, please definitely keep the reports coming.

Krystal

PlaidSquadron October 24th, 2003 01:41 PM

sorry I missed it...

but a midnight showing on a Thursday? I live 2 hours from there. It would have been 4 am by the time I got home, and I still had to work today

Hope to make the con tomorrow....

viperman October 28th, 2003 11:14 AM

Starbuck's nose

I agree with what you said about the romantic scenes. Starbuck's nose was so big on the IMAX screen you could easily imagine crawling up inside one of his nostrils. The Imax experience reminded me of bad habit I had as a kid, laying in front of the TV screen with my face two inches from the picture tube.