Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Twists On Old Episodes (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   08: Living Legend (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8845)

Senmut January 12th, 2014 02:04 PM

Re: 08: Living Legend

TV embellishments aside, I wish we did have heroes today, such as Cain. Someone willing to sacrifice it all for the wellbeing of others.

martok2112 January 13th, 2014 12:30 AM

Sadly, the nature of the world today seems to do less and less to inspire such heroism and idealism.

Unpopular wars (hell, ever since VietNam), natural disasters, terror threats, etc.

There weren't very many heroes (if any at all) during Hurricane Katrina. In fact, there was probably more looting, rape, and murder going on than any altruism or just looking out for your fellow human.

I lost my faith in humanity a long time ago....years before humanity's dark side started getting portrayed in any science fiction show.

BST January 13th, 2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titon

Problem is we look for "hero's" in the wrong places. There is no such hero that exist's in tv land. That being said i find escapism to be something that I can relate to instead of watching flawed characters that serve no purpose but to remind us just how f'd up our world truly is. Until we find it in ourselves to look for hero's from within then we truly our doomed to begin with.

We're not going to find heroes if we go looking for them but, if we really look hard enough, we'll see that they're all around us. You won't see bright lights or fancy clothes or signs in the front yard. But, you'll see it. They're the common, ordinary kindnesses that people do for each other. I've often thought this and it was nice to see it echoed elsewhere:

Seeing this conversation about heroes, immediately brought to mind a conversation between Galadriel and Gandalf, in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. When Galadriel asked Gandalf, "why the half-ling?", his response was --

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf

"Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? That's because I am afraid and he gives me courage.

Jubal February 6th, 2019 07:07 AM

In the case of Bilbo's courage verses Galdalf's fear that is a true testament of ignorance being bliss. I'm sure Gandalf knew WAY more than he wanted to. That was why it was great to have someone slightly ignorant of all that was happening. And someone still grounded as a reminder of the nice everyday things.

Senmut February 6th, 2019 08:31 PM

Are you in a sense comparing Bilbo to Cain?
"I've got a very important appointment with an orc named Baltar!"