Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Random thought that occured to me (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5749)

The Rain January 1st, 2004 10:48 PM

Random thought that occured to me

Remember the count down to the FTL jump to Ragnor station?

As I was listening to the count down it occured to me that the seconds seemed longer than a normal second. So then I thought, OK these are centons. Cool, we never knew how long a centon really was! They're about 2 1/2 seconds each. But we never heard the term centons in the mini. (OK, I guess I did miss some things from the original)

Anyway, I just thought I'd point it out cuz I'm watching part two again.
:D
Is this good discussion fodder? Cuz I dunno. :confused: Maybe I've had too many beers...

:salute:

Spike The Cylon January 1st, 2004 11:43 PM

I never noticed the seconds were longer. did thet call them seconds? I know they said hours and days and years, but I don't remember them saying seconds. I'll have to rewatch it.
It'll be cool if they say centons in a series/or sequel.
:cylon:

The Rain January 2nd, 2004 12:33 AM

They oughta tweak that lil part, just for ol time's sake. It IS just TV for Christ's sake!

beeker January 2nd, 2004 04:34 AM

Re: Random thought that occured to me

Quote:

Originally posted by The Rain
Remember the count down to the FTL jump to Ragnor station?

As I was listening to the count down it occured to me that the seconds seemed longer than a normal second. So then I thought, OK these are centons. Cool, we never knew how long a centon really was! They're about 2 1/2 seconds each. But we never heard the term centons in the mini. (OK, I guess I did miss some things from the original)

Anyway, I just thought I'd point it out cuz I'm watching part two again.
:D
Is this good discussion fodder? Cuz I dunno. :confused: Maybe I've had too many beers...

:salute:

Its a TV thing :). Whenever a TV or movie plot has a end of the world countdown (usually for a bomb) it always takes longer in real time than what the countdown is. I've seen one minute countdowns literally take five (or more) minutes not including commercials.

It's just a dramatic thing. :)

CrysWimmer January 2nd, 2004 07:41 AM

Time measurement/Galactican slang

I'll be honest, I actually like that they got rid of some of the unusual language. I never did figure out sectons, centons, mili-centons, sectars and such - it didn't seem to be consistent. I tried to generate a chart, but that just seemed to confuse me further.

I also noticed that "felgercarb" was gone <not gonna miss that one> but "frak" was present and accounted for - and still Starbuck's favorite word. ;) Come to think of it, I hear that one a lot in the real world, so maybe that's why they went ahead and kept it.

I think the reason they left it out was to prevent dating the series. Looking back, some of the language that I thought was so cool when I was 8 just seems kinda silly now. Maybe that's just me. The mini seemed to be directed at a more adult audience, which works for me now. My 8 year old was NOT impressed - thought it was very boring. I gotta work on that kid.

-Crys-

jewels January 2nd, 2004 10:06 AM

Show the 8 yr. old the original, might be more their speed. (sexy robots don't usually float an 8 yr. old's boat, for example. Tin cans flying clamshells on the other hand..... :D ) ;)

Dogface January 5th, 2004 03:11 PM

Re: Time measurement/Galactican slang

Quote:

Originally posted by CrysWimmer
I also noticed that "felgercarb" was gone <not gonna miss that one> but "frak" was present and accounted for
"Frak" sounds vaguely obscene in English. "Felgergarb" sounds like "fiddle-dee-dee"--something a maiden aunt would exclaim. English expletives have always been Germanic, short, and to the point.

shiningstar January 5th, 2004 05:01 PM

according to the script ...........there were seconds, years,
days ........not sectons, centons, or Yearhrons ......

Darth Marley January 5th, 2004 05:12 PM

Damn metric system.

Senmut January 12th, 2019 09:02 PM

Re: Random thought that occured to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Marley (Post 62562)
Damn metric system.

And all the Lords of Kobol said "AMEN!!!!!!!!"