Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   BG movie coming to Blu-ray (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18460)

peter noble February 26th, 2013 01:44 PM

BG movie coming to Blu-ray

1 Attachment(s)
Inside the Blood & Chrome packaging was this:

Reaper February 26th, 2013 07:32 PM

Re: BG movie coming to Blu-ray

outstanding!!! about time!! how long will we have to wait for the entire series though

ray243 March 8th, 2013 02:13 AM

Are they going to remaster the special effects? Those effects will look pretty bad in HD.

monolith21 March 9th, 2013 11:48 PM

I've heard that whether or not the series gets released on Bluray depends on how well the movie sells. Its the same crap they did with DVD all over again.

So everyone buy two copies. lol

martok2112 March 10th, 2013 11:48 AM

I would not mind having this on Blu-Ray, as long as they did indeed remaster the visual effects. (As was done for Star Trek The Next Generation for its blu-ray release). Otherwise, the movie will look horrible.

TwoBrainedCylon March 23rd, 2013 08:46 AM

Galactica is a series that would greatly benefit from the Trek rework treatment. Truthfully, I thought the Trek effects only went 1/2 as far as they should have. Some were good improvements but some were pretty fan film-ish, and not really quality fan film either. The cleanups of the prints were quite remarkable.

A sound remix would also be good. Even if they couldn't rework the tracks, some tricks with shifting the freqs and adding some sweetners would really bring the show to life.

All my best,

Russell

Punisher454 March 23rd, 2013 12:33 PM

100% agree with Russell.

peter noble March 24th, 2013 03:05 AM

Universal are open to digital effects for the old eps but not at the price they've been quoted.

TBH, I'd rather see a restoration like the TNG blu-rays.

Darrell Lawrence March 24th, 2013 08:21 AM

I'd be afraid of them re-doing the FX: They'd probably replace the "G" and Vipers with the nuBG versions.

Senmut March 24th, 2013 06:04 PM

Sadly likely. TOS all the way!

Charybdis May 4th, 2013 01:30 PM

Get your cubits ready. Just got word on this:

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...1&ci_src=11138

Right around the corner!!

Apolloisall May 4th, 2013 03:22 PM

I finally HAVE to get a BR player.....

martok2112 May 4th, 2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apolloisall (Post 311685)
I finally HAVE to get a BR player.....

If you do, PlayStation 3 is the best way to go. :)

Apolloisall May 4th, 2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 311690)
If you do, PlayStation 3 is the best way to go. :)

LOL, I was thinking a $30 Wallyworld unit...:rotf:

martok2112 May 5th, 2013 12:02 AM

LOL....well, you could go that route, but I've found some of those cheaper priced BR players to be a bit....unreliable...especially in the firmware upgrade department. But, you might luck out and find one at that price that does quite well. :)

peter noble May 14th, 2013 09:26 AM

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62411

Apolloisall May 14th, 2013 09:32 AM

Thanks Peter!

borjis May 14th, 2013 02:29 PM

oops didn't see this thread. Mods feel free to delete the review I posted by itself.

The audio is perfect as it should be.

DTS-HDMA 2.1 with full SenSurround mix intact. (I wasn't expecting this at all)

Your blu-ray player will map it to a 5.1 system perfectly.

It's never looked this good. It's very sharp and clean, colors pop. There are occasional very small dust specs, but its way cleaner than the original DVD (non-anamorphic) release. Also the colors are much better. The original DVD had a green tint...this one looks perfect. The special f/x footage looks a lot better than I thought it would. John Dykstra was being too hard on himself when he got upset over the theatrical release not holding up on the big screen. The models look great at 1080P.

It's 1.85 matted, though on a 16x9 tv the very small black bars top and bottom are not seen.

Universal did a PERFECT job on this title. There is film grain. A bit moreso at times, but this is good,
it means they didn't do what many consider "screwing it up" by applying DNR.

Bestbuy has officially put it on backorder status as of this morning. (tons of people pre-ordered)
The facebook page has over 900,000 likes.

An insider said if it sells well, the series will very likely be done. I think thats a given now...

Apolloisall May 14th, 2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borjis (Post 311757)

an insider said if it sells well, the series will very likely be done. I think thats a given now...

:p: YAHOO!

David Kerin May 14th, 2013 04:46 PM

Picked up a copy today, not expecting much in the way of picture improvement, and did it to show my support for the show. But now I'm glad I did! Popped it in the player and skimmed through, and the quality is much better than I expected it to me. Pic is sharp, colors vibrant, and not as many dirt and scratch marks as there is on the DVD. A decent job for the Blu-Ray release. The only times the grain really stands out (that I saw so far) is in some of the special effects shots, but considering how they composited effects in 1978 I can understand that. Though its not in every effects shot, but definitely in the clouds with the tankers. Other straight FX shots look fantastic!

Hopefully there will be more. I would even enjoy a TOS Trek style remaster (though that would cost Universal more $$$).

Apolloisall May 14th, 2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kerin (Post 311759)
Pic is sharp, colors vibrant, and not as many dirt and scratch marks as there is on the DVD.

Excellent!:D

PaulGTweed May 14th, 2013 09:23 PM

I'm glad I have an LG 3D Monitor and a 3D Blu-Ray player. I hope to get a copy of Battlestar Galactica 1978 on Blu-Ray soon.

Lara May 15th, 2013 12:46 AM

No sign of it down here (as usual).

JBs helpful little tykes do want to sell me the 'totally awesome' complete series boxset in BluRay, complete with bonus Plan, but their computer won't recognise either '35th anniversary' or '1978/ 1979'.

Think it must be a millenium bug problem LOL!!:LOL:

Cheers
Lara

Senmut May 15th, 2013 08:08 PM

The 7th Millenium?

Lara May 15th, 2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 311774)
The 7th Millenium?

AD or BCE ?

Cheers
Lara

martok2112 May 15th, 2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon (Post 311475)
Galactica is a series that would greatly benefit from the Trek rework treatment. Truthfully, I thought the Trek effects only went 1/2 as far as they should have. Some were good improvements but some were pretty fan film-ish, and not really quality fan film either. The cleanups of the prints were quite remarkable.

A sound remix would also be good. Even if they couldn't rework the tracks, some tricks with shifting the freqs and adding some sweetners would really bring the show to life.

All my best,

Russell

One of the hurdles with updating visual effects for dated shows is exactly the "dated" problem. It was pretty easy with Star Trek The Motion Picture when Robert Wise Productions made the Special Director's Edition for the 2000 DVD release. They wanted to make some of the updated effects look good, but not out of place in a film that was originally released in 1979.

It would probably be just as easy for Battlestar Galactica from 1978. They could update the effects (especially for the purposes of eliminating the stock footage in their space battles), and still make it look as if those effects came from 1978 instead of appearing to be a recent effort.

I imagine it was probably a bit harder to try and replicate the 1966-69 look of the original Star Trek in terms of updated effects. Most of the effects I really liked...especially in Balance of Terror. :)

Apolloisall May 16th, 2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 311777)
They could update the effects, and still make it look as if those effects came from 1978 instead of appearing to be a recent effort.

Didn't David Kerin already do that?:D

peter noble May 16th, 2013 05:07 AM

The EMMY AWARD winning effects on BG don't need updating, they just need recompositing in places just because we've got CGI doesn't mean they're going to make the show more palatable or 'improve' it in some way.

Apolloisall May 16th, 2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble (Post 311784)
The EMMY AWARD winning effects on BG don't need updating, they just need recompositing in places just because we've got CGI doesn't mean they're going to make the show more palatable or 'improve' it in some way.

Agreed, that's why I like what David did, he didn't so much change things as just expanded upon them, adding extra views of things & such. The original FX hold up fine, and I'm still amazed with what Dykstra & Co. were able to do in such a short time & with a limited budget.

martok2112 May 16th, 2013 05:28 AM

Agreed with both you guys.
I'm not talking about doing a "Star Wars Special Edition" treatment for BG.
What David did for BG, and what RWP did for ST:TMP is more of what I had in mind...but yes, simply recompositing the visual effects from the original negatives (if they can be found) would be a great approach, just like was done for ST"TNG on blu-ray.

Although it would still be nice to be able to eliminate a lot of the stock footage, and replace them with some more dynamic shots-- especially of that one Cylon Raider that keeps getting blown up in the upper right or left quadrant of the TV screen. :)