Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Science Fiction Shows (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Space: 1999 30th Anniversary Megaset (Amazon) (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18354)

BST October 8th, 2012 06:30 AM

Space: 1999 30th Anniversary Megaset (Amazon)

I got an email from Amazon about this and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. Admittedly, while I thoroughly enjoyed the show, I did not follow it as closely as Trek, Battlestar,etc, and so, my question about this advertisement, is quite simply, for someone who doesn't have any other "1999" stuff, .....

"Is it worth it?"

Here's the link: Space 1999 30th Anniversary Megaset

Thanks in advance! :)

David Kerin October 8th, 2012 01:53 PM

Re: Space: 1999 30th Anniversary Megaset (Amazon)

I actually have the DVDs and the first season on Bluray. The two seasons are rather different, as it too (like many scifi series) went through a second season revamp. It became, well... campier. Now usually I wouldn't buy the bluray of a series I already have on DVD, but after reading reviews I was convinced to buy it. And I was glad I did. They did such a fantastic job of cleaning these up for HD!!! The series looks FANTASTIC! So if you were going to buy something, I'd say go for season 1 bluray. And it has a bunch of extras to boot. I do believe season 2 bluray is in the works, but I really don't know if I'd buy that.

For me season one was a neat mix of Star Trek and 2001. There is also a much stronger mythology to season 1 that I never picked up on as a kid. In fact the last ep of season 1 brings something full circle, and there is a lot of questioning about their journey being guided by an unknown force. The episodes can be a bit slow at times, but the overall production is top notch in my book. And the episode Dragon's Domain scared the crap out of me as a kid.

Hope that helps. And actually on DVD, that's not a bad price for the whole set.

BST October 8th, 2012 02:28 PM

Thanks, Dave. That does help.

:)

Senmut October 14th, 2012 04:56 PM

I wish someone would restore all the footage from Breakaway, which would have been, I understand, nearly a 2-hour ep.
Be nice.

martok2112 October 23rd, 2012 02:13 AM

Yes, I would LOVE to get Space: 1999 on Blu-Ray. Yes, both seasons were very different, but as a kid, I loved the hell out of this show. It was another space fix for me. And I love the very real-future (retro) tech of this show. The Eagles look like functional, almost real-world based space vehicles.

Senmut October 23rd, 2012 04:31 PM

And if NASA and the gov. hadn't murdered the lunar program, maybe we would have something similar, today.

martok2112 October 24th, 2012 12:25 AM

Agreed.

Senmut October 24th, 2012 04:11 AM

Thanks. I'm afraid going back is going to depend on wealthy private individuals. Gov. and NASA have proved they have no real desire to resume things.

martok2112 October 24th, 2012 05:42 AM

It does look like the private sector movement in that area of enterprise (no pun intended) could start gaining some prominence. Don't know how soon, but definitely in time.

BST November 24th, 2012 08:15 AM

Wow!! The price has gone up to $119.99!! A bit too pricey for me, at this time. I think I'll wait for a while on this.

My waiting may be over. I just checked Walmart and they have it for $47.99. Methinks 1999 may be coming in 2012.

:D