Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica Cafe (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A Question for the Computer Masters (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3989)

Dawg August 20th, 2003 08:40 PM

A Question for the Computer Masters

I am not a gearhead by any stretch of the imagination. I rely on a buddy of mine to answer computer-related problems - he's good, but... (he's also out for the night).

Anyway, I run Windows XP Pro, I use Explorer as my browser exclusively, now. I don't know enough to use multiple browsers (although I did use Netscape for a while, too). I do not have a firewall (beyond what XP comes with).

Here's my problem: My wife likes to play some of the free games at www.pogo.com. Some we have no problems with. Some we have problems with only sometimes. Recently, when we try to pull up the "Poppit" or slot games, it locks up. The game won't load, and the computer becomes very hesitant, even after we close the windows. Then we can't seem to get a connection at all, and have to reboot the computer to reset everything.

What the heck is going on? Suggestions for a fix?

Thanks! Much appreciated!

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

Flamingo Girl August 21st, 2003 10:25 AM

Don't play those games....

repcisg August 21st, 2003 11:07 AM

The internal firewall may be the problem.

shiningstar August 21st, 2003 07:33 PM

I think repcisg is right

thomas7g August 21st, 2003 08:53 PM

about the slowness.... I can't really help with any XP question. But traditionally you could always bring up the task manager in windows by pressing CONTROL-ALT-DELETE at once and selecting task manager. Click on the PROCESSES tab. This should tell you were all your computer power is going. Sometimes a program gets stuck hogging all your cpu. You can then kill the process (usually). If you have to kill explorer.exe it usually comes back by itself. If it doesn't, you can use the taskmanager to get it back by chosing RUN NEW TASK under the FILE menu. And choosing explorer.exe. :D

Dawg August 23rd, 2003 08:23 AM

Thanks, Tom. I'll do that next time it pops up.

Now, it wasn't the firewall, guys. It's turned off.

Any other suggestions?

I am
Dawg

Dawg August 23rd, 2003 10:03 PM

Well, it appears that whenever we go into just a couple of specific games it frazzles the internet connection, and I need to reboot to get it back (I wouldn't know how to get it back otherwise.).

We've had these kinds of problems pop up ever since we went with XP. I finally figured out how to shut off the messenger function so we don't get those extremely annoying pop-up ads (I lost more games because of them...).

Could that be it?

Frack, I don't know.

I am
Dawg

BST August 23rd, 2003 10:22 PM

Dawg,

I used to have the same problem with "Overflow". It seems that with Overflow, and maybe for some other games, a certain amount of memory is allocated for each 'screen'. When you finish that screen and move on to the next, memory is allocated for the next 'screen' BUT, your system never releases the memory that was allocated for the first screen. The farther along you go, in the game, the worse it gets.

It got so bad, for me, that my PC would crash and then, reboot.

The next time you go to Pogo and play a game, periodically check the Windows System Information icon (I have mine on the desktop but, in case you don't, you can access it from the System Tools folder in Accessories).

My PC would usually crash when I got around 55-60% system resources available. At the time, I only had 128 MB RAM. Since then, I added a 256 MB RAM card and have not had any problems.

Let me know.

BST

shiningstar August 26th, 2003 07:37 PM

Now that sounds right Bst

Dranem August 29th, 2003 06:12 AM

XP Issues

There are two problems to why your pogo games are crashing:
1) XP Firewall is flawed at best, it's blocking some data but not others, there's also various security holes in the program. I'd suggest disabling XP Firewall Security and go for a more common and secure program such as Zone Alarm or Black Ice Defender.
2) There may be a Java issue that's causing problems. Make sure you have all the latest updates from Microsoft, as they have fixed some java related issues.

shiningstar August 30th, 2003 02:46 PM

Dranem is right. That's why my games wouldn't work
on my computer anymore. The firewalls often keep
you from everything from getting your emails to
installing state of the art games.

nightscape2112 September 1st, 2003 10:40 AM

my mom plays at pogo, she had that same problem. it was the java scripts jammin her memory and locking her system up. dranem is right you need the latest java, i think it was "sun java2 that i downloaded for her that fixed her problem.

here is a url for it,

http://java.sun.com/

good luck

nightscape

Muffit September 1st, 2003 10:50 AM

Welcome to Colonial Fleets Dranem!!! :)
:muffit:

P.S. And nightscape, I love your sig. I have a weak spot for good lit!