Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Entertainment (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Scifi (Andromeda) (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3749)

amberstar July 27th, 2003 07:01 PM

Scifi

Scifi channel doesn't have much to offer any longer. SG-1 is a good show, but I've been watching another show. Gene Rodenbery's Andromeda. It is a blend of Buck Rodgers meets Star Trek. Not too bad.
Has anyone else watched??

Amberstar

une July 28th, 2003 06:56 AM

Ugh, I hate Andromeda.

It started out very good but then Kevin Sorbo fired Kevin Hewlitt Wolfe, because he thougt the stories were too complex :rolleyes: , and the shows been Hercules in space ever since.

Artemis July 28th, 2003 10:52 AM

I agree that Andromeda has gone down hill. With the formation of the new Highguard there is no direction for the crew anymore, they did what they set out to do and now they seem to just wander around getting into trouble. With Tyr leaving it will loose the internal conflict and have even less to offer. I've noticed lately I start to wander and do other things while it is on, so it isn't keeping my interest the way it used to. A definite sign that the stories are not complex and captivating but it is an example of what TPTB think scifi should be, gaggits and special effects not stories and character development.
:colwar:

amberstar July 28th, 2003 03:05 PM

I used to watch the show every time I had a chance, but now I agree with Artemis. I find myself doing other things while the show is on.
Now I know why. I didn't know that Kevin fired the writer.
Thanks for the heads up.

Amberstar

Senmut July 28th, 2003 07:26 PM

Sounds typical of what the brain-dead suits think sci-fi ought to be. Effects, and jiggle. Which just goes to show you where their minds are at!

thomas7g July 28th, 2003 09:14 PM

I too have noticed that Andrmeda seems to have been kinda lost in direction....

I really enjoyed it at first. It may not have been the most serious scifi, but it was fun, and you could like the characters. But thinks went wonky. About the same time trance lost her purpleness. I miss her tail....:(

une July 29th, 2003 10:27 AM

I think some of the best sci fi that's been on TV in the last few years have been animated.

Last year, on Cartoon Network, there was a great Japanese anime called Outlaw Star. OS was a truly great Space Opera with really inventive space battles, the ships had mechanical arms that used giant chainsaws and such to fight upclose, and an interresting ongoing plot that didn't suffer from too many of the usual anime cliches.

Also on the Japanese front, there's Big O which is a very deep, and very dark show about a city that has lost all of it's memories and the conspiracy behind this mass amnesia.

In terms of American animation, well North American, there was the great Reboot and various American Transformers shows. Warner Bros. animation department has also been very good for the last decade, although I think they are stumbling with Justice League.

All those animated sci fi shows that I've mentioned, and many that I haven't, have been at least as well written as any of the top live action shows and have also had a much larger scope. I think his is because in animation, at least hand drawn stuff, there are no restrictions. You can have huge multi million dollar fight scenes every episode if you so please, Samurai jack does this all the time, and never have to worry about budget. This frees up the writers bit and lets them use their imaginations more.

Animation is a really versatile and freeing medium and I think sci if, at least the television version, is best suited for the animation medium.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Kai July 29th, 2003 11:29 AM

after seeing 'Dan Dare' I haveto agree.. good solid stories, well animated..

damn I hope they make another season...

thomas7g July 29th, 2003 01:43 PM

Don't forget Cowboy Bebop!

There are some upcoming animes that looke really good.

Last Exile impresses me. It is an orphaned young boy and girl. All they really have is their dad's vintage looking flying craft as Giant Warships in the sky battle for power.

Scrapped Princess- A young medeival princess is prophecized to bring the end of the world on her sixteenth birthday. She is 15 now. And The number of people who know about her and are trying to kill her, spike dramatically. Why do the gods themselves want to kill her? She finds out that mankind was once a great powerful space faring race. But we dramatically lost a cataclysmic war with a forgotten foe. What happens on her sixteenth birthday?

Also there Stellvia is good. At first you have to deal with kids that are so dang immature it feels like you are stuck babysitting someone elses kids. But thank god they mature eventually. The Backstory is what's great. In our near future, a star has gone supernova. The shockwave devastates the earth destroying most cities in our southern hemisphere and along our coastlines. Unfortunately that was the electromagnetic energy of the blast that travels at the speed of light. A second wave containing the star's mass is heading toward us. And almost 200 years later, mankind is about to see if it can survive Second Impact.

:D

Artemis July 29th, 2003 03:17 PM

I haven't seen any of the Cowboy Bebop episodes but I did like the movie.

Shatter July 30th, 2003 07:26 AM

Cowboy Bebop is outstanding. I'm also a longtime fan of Star Blazers.

shiningstar July 30th, 2003 05:37 PM

I watch that show from time to time Amberstar.
It won't be the same without TYR.

amberstar July 30th, 2003 06:23 PM

I know Shiningstar, without him the show looses alot!:(
Amberstar

shiningstar August 1st, 2003 12:58 PM

I love the Animes ......I watch them whenever I can.
During the day though the tv is OFF and the music
is on ...........I guess that SHOWS you how many
GOOD SCIFI SHOWS are on HUH?

RommieSG August 1st, 2003 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by une
Ugh, I hate Andromeda.

It started out very good but then Kevin Sorbo fired Kevin Hewlitt Wolfe, because he thougt the stories were too complex :rolleyes: , and the shows been Hercules in space ever since.

That's Robert Hewitt Wolfe. ;)

http://www.rhwolfe.com/

Rommie :cylon:

amberstar August 1st, 2003 04:35 PM

Thanks everyone for adding your thoughts! Too bad Hewlitt is gone.
Amberstar

une August 1st, 2003 07:37 PM

Quote:

That's Robert Hewitt Wolfe.
2 out of 3 ain't bad.

amberstar August 1st, 2003 08:21 PM

Sorry about the typo, I guess it's been a longer week than I thought.:rolleyes:

shiningstar August 3rd, 2003 04:23 PM

I personally think HEWITT needed to stay.

amberstar August 3rd, 2003 04:49 PM

Me too!
amberstar

shiningstar August 3rd, 2003 07:20 PM

TV EXECS are sooooooo short SIGHTED

Krystal August 9th, 2003 02:19 PM

I watched Andromeda and like it. Although I admit the series have get into so many changes that people sometimes feel frustrated with it. Anyway I'm still waiting to see the new season and I have to agree that it would be different without Tyr, so I will have to adjust to that change the same way I have to adjust to Rev departure. Anyway I think it still make good episodes, I specially love the ones
that Gordon(Harper) have make, that ones are always fun to watch.

Krystal

amberstar August 9th, 2003 03:07 PM

I like Harper too. He has a great personality, and episodes with him are good.

Krystal August 10th, 2003 11:42 AM

Yeah, he definitely is very talented. He should write more often. :)

Krystal

shiningstar August 11th, 2003 08:34 AM

I do like Harper. He should write more often.

Krystal August 17th, 2003 11:57 AM

I read in an article that in the next season they will have new things in the ship and Harper will be very happy. So I'm looking forward to it. Harper happy means entertaining
and funny things in the series.

Krystal

thomas7g August 17th, 2003 02:51 PM

Harper really needs a girlfriend. :D

shiningstar August 18th, 2003 08:14 PM

I think so too Tom ........but WHO did you have in mind?
An established 'character' perhaps ;)

amberstar August 18th, 2003 08:20 PM

I think someone new needs to come aboard and take the roll of Harper's girl. I just can't picture him with Rebecca or the other female characters. Dylan on the other hand I think he and Rebecca could make a good pair.
Amberstar

shiningstar August 19th, 2003 07:35 PM

I do LOVE Harper's sense of Humour.
Yep I was thinking the same thing about Dylon and
Rebecca Amberstar!