Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Entertainment (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Two GREAT Movies You Really Ought to Catch! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6589)

Muffit March 21st, 2004 05:55 PM

Two GREAT Movies You Really Ought to Catch!

Hi all!

Just saw two REALLY REALLY good movies ya really oughtta catch, if you haven't already!

First one is "Secondhand Lions". This is the most heart warming story you'll see all year. All about a pair of eccentric uncles who get "stuck" with their grand-nephew for a summer, and both old and young learn lessons about life they will never forget. Extremely memorable, with one of those tingly endings. Oh, and btw, for anyone thinking 57+ is too old to fly a viper, Duvall is in his seventies in this flick and whoops the daylights out of a gang - in extremely believable style too! Too old - hah! :)

(P.S. - stars Michael Caine, Robert Duvall, and Haley Joel Osment - wow, what a cast!)

The second is "Life - or Something Like it", starring Angelina Jolie. Ya know, Hollywood is full of actresses that are either really pretty and can't act or kinda plain and great at it. But this movie made me a believer. Not only is she at her most beautiful, she turns in an incredible performance as well. I was trying to cook dinner while watching this and think the movie won, LOL!

Cheers all! Happy viewing!
Muffit
:muffit:

unowhoandwhy March 24th, 2004 11:01 AM

I've been trying to find the time to see "Secondhand Lions" as I heard it was wonderful. Someday the remodel on my house will be finished, I will put down "hatchet, axe and saw" and catch up on movies!

Does anyone know which song the "hatchet, axe and saw" line came from? (This question is mostly because I am completely incapable of staying on topic in any thread!) :D

Muffit March 24th, 2004 01:38 PM

Hmm... sorry, no idea. But hey, you really oughtta take a 2 hour break out of all that work and let yourself relax a bit! Sometimes I don't have time for movies either, but I try to make time, even if I only watch half one day and half the next, to ensure I spend a little good time with my fam'.

Cheers UWW!

bsg1fan1975 March 25th, 2004 03:41 AM

saw "Secondhand Lions" and loved it. I love how the uncles fished in one scene!

unowhoandwhy March 25th, 2004 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffit
Hmm... sorry, no idea. But hey, you really oughtta take a 2 hour break out of all that work and let yourself relax a bit! Sometimes I don't have time for movies either, but I try to make time, even if I only watch half one day and half the next, to ensure I spend a little good time with my fam'.

I'm a singleton with no family at home & the dogs only like watching Animal Planet, so I usually get more caught up in work than I should. As for the song, I guess no one is a Rush fan, huh?

THE TREES:
There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
(and they’re quite convinced they’re right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can’t help their feelings
If they like the way they’re made
And they wonder why the maples
Can’t be happy in their shade?

There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream `oppression!`
And the oaks, just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
’the oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light’
Now there’s no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,
Axe,
And saw ...

Muffit March 25th, 2004 09:00 AM

Wow, those are really cool lyrics. I am often so impressed by groups you would not normally associate with good poetry - e.g. Sting is a master at metaphors.

Thanks for the words!

Artemis March 28th, 2004 04:37 PM

I missed Second Hand Lions when it was out, it wasn't out very long. Another good film is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I'll probably go see the Ladykillers next but I don't know if anyone, even Tom Hanks, can fill the shoes of Sir Alec Guiness, my all time favorite actor.

Bombadil March 29th, 2004 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffit
Hi all!

Just saw two REALLY REALLY good movies ya really oughtta catch, if you haven't already!

First one is "Secondhand Lions". . .

Muffit

You got good taste, Muffy. I loved that movie enough to buy it. Great thing is, my wife loved it even more than I did. She said it made her think of her own dad.
:D

Muffit March 29th, 2004 02:31 PM

Thanks Artemis and Thomas! :)

Oh, P.S. Thomas - there is another daughter/dad flick which is very touching from long ago, called Memories of Me. From around 1987. Very very touching...