Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Entertainment (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   lone ranger question (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18533)

skippercollecto July 20th, 2013 06:54 PM

lone ranger question

I LOVED the new Lone Ranger movie! It was the most enjoyable movie I've seen in years, and the scenery is gorgeous!
I have one question that I've not seen discussed on various forums. Is the little boy talking to the elderly Tonto at the carnival in the 1930s supposed to be Britt Reid? His name was never mentioned and I can't find anyone fitting his description at imdb.com

BST July 24th, 2013 04:44 PM

Re: lone ranger question

Mary,

Although this movie was panned by critics, it looked like something that I might like to see. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see it, or any movie this summer, for that matter.

I still want to see it. Maybe just wait for the DVD.

gmd3d July 26th, 2013 02:49 AM

Rossini: William Tell Overture: Final
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O91GDWGPU

Don´t you just want to jump on your bike and race around your area pretending its a horse.. of course if you have a horse you don´t need to pretend, unless you want to pretend your on a bike while instead been on a horse..... crying out "Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!"........

skippercollecto August 8th, 2013 02:27 PM

new discussion group

I have started a new discussion group for The Lone Ranger movie. It's for fans of the movie who want to talk about its plot, characters, scenes, etc. It is NOT for discussion about the box office or bad reviews. The legions of haters are not welcome there.
http://www.universalstop.com/hubs/fo...he-lone-ranger

Senmut August 9th, 2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BST (Post 312090)
Mary,

Although this movie was panned by critics, it looked like something that I might like to see. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see it, or any movie this summer, for that matter.

I still want to see it. Maybe just wait for the DVD.

Good rule of thumb: If the critics hate it, 90% or better chance it will be good. If the critics rave about it, 90% or better chance it will suck.

skippercollecto August 12th, 2013 08:07 PM

rance howard

Let's see now:
Rance Howard had a bit part in my all-time favorite TV series (it was The Magnificent Warriors episode).
Rance Howard had a bit part in my all-time favorite movie (Apollo 13).
Rance Howard had a bit part in my previous all-time favorite movie (The Music Man).
Rance Howard has a bit part in my new number two favorite movie (The Lone Ranger).
Maybe I'm a Rance Howard groupie and just don't know it?!

skippercollecto October 5th, 2013 08:13 AM

lone ranger question

I continue to update the blog I've started regarding this movie, if anyone wants to participate.
http://www.universalstop.com/hubs/fo...he-lone-ranger
No discussion of box office or bad reviews.

skippercollecto October 8th, 2013 06:45 AM

Hmmmm:
An epic story is created: large likeable cast, huge sets, on-location filming, special effects, complex storyline, lots of money spent.
The show debuts and I fall in love with it and am periodically blown away by it.
However, the critics and much of the public either don't care for it or outright despise it. The story quickly fades away. However, it develops a cult following among a small group of diehard fans who adore it and never forget it.
That's what I see happening already to The Lone Ranger. But it seems to me I've experienced all this before.....

Darrell Lawrence November 3rd, 2013 09:12 AM

Mary, I wondered if that kid was the future Green Hornet as well (Britt Reid). Maybe they left him unnamed so they could possibly go in that direction!

I loved the movie too. Tonto was pretty funny, yet serious at the same time. Loved his interactions with the horse, Silver.

Punisher454 November 3rd, 2013 11:26 PM

I thought I'd hate it. Turned out I thought it was a fun movie to watch.

Golddragon71 May 22nd, 2014 08:34 AM

To answer your question:
No.
The Little Boy is Dan Reid the Father of Britt Reid The Original radio and Movie Serial Green Hornet
In the original story Dan Reid was just a baby when the events of The lone ranger's Origin were played out.
Years later the Ranger and Tonto were up in the high Border country (Ie just south of Canada) when they stopped a group of Bandits seeking to Rob an elderly lady named Grandma Frisby and her Grandson (by adoption) named Dan who was by that point, in his early teens.

Dan and his mother had been with the Old lady Frisby on a wagon train headed to texas from Virginia. Indians attacked and wiped out almost everyone among the wagon train Dan's mother perished but Grandma Frisby survived and got Dan away from the Massacre. There was a little Gold Locket with Dan's First name inscribed on it It contained the pictures of Dan's parents.The Lone Ranger then identified himself to Dan and the (dying) old woman. He took Dan along on some adventures before sending him off to college.

Dan eventually went into the Newspaper business and founded the Daily Sentinel. when Dan's son came of age, he was given control of the Sentinel while Dan went back west. Britt Reid saw the way the crooks were operating in the big city at that time and knew the only way he could really get them was to play their own game back at them with his newfound friend Kato, Whom he had saved on a trip abroad* Britt Reid Became the Green Hornet.

The Lone Ranger Movie last year was a fun movie but I'm not sold on it as an origin movie for the character. My own personal choice is 1981's Much Maligned The Legend of the Lone Ranger.

*Kato's origin has been told many times. In the radio shows he was Philipino, in the chapter serials he was Korean and of course in the TV show he was chinese. (The NOW comics series marry many of these together by making the 30's-40's Kato Japanese posing as Philipino and his son the 60's TV Kato Half Japanese/Chinese)

BST May 24th, 2014 12:34 AM

Update:

I was finally able to watch the Lone Ranger, on cable. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially Silver.

:)

Darrell Lawrence May 25th, 2014 11:44 AM

Golddragon, we weren't talking about the kid interacting with the Lone Ranger, ie his nephew. We were talking about the kid Tonto was telling the story to.

martok2112 June 4th, 2014 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis
crying out "Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!"........

Tonto: Don't do that again. ... ever!
:)