Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Costuming Guild (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Blackstar Squadron: Battlestar Galactica costuming group. (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16921)

Bouri-Plwel April 10th, 2009 08:21 PM

Re: Blackstar Squadron: Battlestar Galactica costuming group.

Does your costume need to be completed before you can join????

Reaper April 10th, 2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouri-Plwel (Post 286114)
Does your costume need to be completed before you can join????

To be a full "active" member, your costume does have to be comeplete. But we are going to have a forum open to everyone, so you can get to know everyone, make suggestiosn if you have any and see how the group is coming along.

To be honest, all but one of the 5 people organizing the group right now are workign on completeing our costumes as well, so, no worries about not having a finished costume.

Bouri-Plwel April 10th, 2009 08:52 PM

Sweet....thanks....I am excited to be involved...especially being a base commander for the Rebel Legion....perhaps I can help with some insight while your organization of territorial Battlestars or Squadrons, or how ever your going to organize like how we have Bases....

Reaper April 10th, 2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouri-Plwel (Post 286126)
Sweet....thanks....I am excited to be involved...especially being a base commander for the Rebel Legion....perhaps I can help with some insight while your organization of territorial Battlestars or Squadrons, or how ever your going to organize like how we have Bases....

oh, I have had some experience with that too, having been LCO for the Rebel legion, as well as a founding member... well, along time ago, that is,

how you doing man? :) I thought that might be you :)

Ed

Bouri-Plwel April 11th, 2009 07:33 AM

Good...I had no idea it was the same Reaper...I am doing well thanks...it has been too long!!!!..well it seems like this group will be in good hands then....just let me know how i can help.

Charybdis April 11th, 2009 07:49 AM

Looks like half the Rebel Legion are becoming the Colonial Military!!! Let's do it!!!

Reaper April 11th, 2009 08:36 AM

the more the better, that's what I have to say :)

I'd love to get more 501st and RL people involved :) as things progress, I'd like to be able to provide more and more serices from within the group. To provide costuming help, like members of the 501st provide armor.

And to even do custom style uniforms, much like Richard Hatch's Green jacket, or the old Olive Green jacket offered in Starlog mag all those years ago. :)

a source for the Blue/Black jackets for bridge crew :)

And let's face it, if you wanted to do a blackshirt costume, there is ALOT of custom work there. I don't think you could even find a replica of the vest anymore, even if you tried for a vintage one.

Charybdis April 11th, 2009 10:07 AM

In wanting to keep this new club rather simple, I would suggest keeping all uniforms strictly to what was seen on the TV show (let's face it, there isn't hardly any EU stuff for Galactica!) and anyone who wants to create variations or special types of Colonial uniforms can join under a "Special Ops" category. I would strongly suggest not to have as many rules and regulations as we see in the 501st or RL...

OK, here is Col. Charybdis planetside just to whet your appetites!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...c/100_2664.jpg

Reaper April 11th, 2009 10:26 AM

Al, that costume ROCKS!!! The ONLY thing I can say is I think the screen used costumes had a rivit on either side of the belt buckle. I was thinking about adding a false Screw post (I prefer to them to rivets) to the tongue of the Belt to give that look. but that's about the only point i can make about that unifrom!!

Andf yes, keeping things simpler then the 501st and What the RL has turned into is the goal. As is keeping things canon.

That said, I for one do have some interest in certain custom things. The "Blackstar Squadron" itself is have a custom set of pins and a patch (we have been leaning towards something overlayed on the Galactica Patch, similar to the Atlantia. but the main focus is stuff seen in the series.

The blue/Black Jacket was planned for COlonel Tigh in the second season, from what I read. And the green jacket Hatch has is from the Second Coming Trailer. Unfortunately, you're right, this does constitute just about all the Galactica EU out there.

We are just starting to talk about how we're going to organize the Member Gallery now, but any and all custom costumes that are made, would not be displayed with the reproduction costumes. I liked the idea of seperating the custom costumes fromt he canon ones in the RL gallery (and did suggest it myself lol) so at the worst, we'd do somethign similar, having a custom gallery.

Charybdis April 11th, 2009 02:39 PM

Just took some pics of me in the warrior outfit. I'll try to get one up soon...

Charybdis April 11th, 2009 03:25 PM

OK, will this qualify me for membership?? :)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...c/100_2705.jpg

Gemini1999 April 11th, 2009 04:19 PM

I think that we have a winner!

Bouri-Plwel April 11th, 2009 05:37 PM

Al..you are the man...that costume...both of them are AWSOME!!!!!!!! Classic BSG is IT!!!!!!!

monolith21 April 12th, 2009 04:00 AM

Love the costume! Mind if I ask the source? Oh and we will definitely be keeping this thing a tad simpler than the 501st. As of now, we're definitely going to be in the same spirit but we sort of trimmed it up. I think this is most definitely going to be a lot of fun.

We may not have the numbers of the 501st, but that sort of goes with the underdog spirit of the rag tag fleet! Plus it'll be easier to get to know everyone. I just can't wait for that first group photo.

By the way Charybdis, that fan film you did was great! I'm hoping that this club will help with similar ventures.

clanger April 12th, 2009 04:58 AM

Quote:

OK, will this qualify me for membership??
:yikes: Wow!

That looks amazing, congratulations.

Andy

Charybdis April 12th, 2009 08:01 AM

Thanks guys! I definitely expect some of you to star in some of my upcoming adventures aboard the Callisto!!!

As for the costume, the jacket is an old JK2 model which I got back in 1998 just before Kathy Pillsbury and Joseph Kerezman broke up the company. The actual uniform itself was originally ordered through JK2 but I got caught in the breakup. Kathy Pillsbury did the costume for me on her own and it is excellent.

For those who saw my blue bridge uniform, that's a bsg.org outfit. Also done very well...

Gemini1999 April 12th, 2009 09:50 AM

When it comes to uniforms for the original series, I've noted an interesting place to buy them. I don't know if they're custom made or not, or just made in generic sizes though. I was on a website called "Monsters In Motion", which is a SciFi memorabilia store in Southern California. I did a search for Battlestar Galactica to see what comes up. They had uniforms, gun belts, insignia (including Pegasus stuff), jackets and a few other small items as well. Here's a link (you have to scroll through to see everything TOS related):

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cata...d=14&x=23&y=10

I don't know the source of the items, but the prices aren't bad (relatively speaking). If folks aren't capable of doing their own, it might not be a bad idea. The only items that would need to be found or made would be the uniform belts and the boots. From the pricing on the website and comparing them with the pricing on BSG.org's website, that may indeed be the originating source.

Just a suggestions - I've been keeping the webpage for the site on my PC for future use when I have the funds available.

Bryan

Charybdis April 12th, 2009 10:19 AM

Isn't that the store that uses the exact same pictures as those featured on the bsg.org site? I remember something about this on another thread...

I also wonder if they use the same source or if they purchase them and then resell them? An email to them might reveal some interesting information.

At least there are vendors out there still selling the stuff!

monolith21 April 12th, 2009 01:28 PM

BSG.org and Monsters in Motion are great resources. Anyone have any other links they know of? Reaper already came up with a uniform resource I had no idea about (costume base). Mieal Deneb is working on patterns as well! By the time we get all these resources together we'll have a list that works with a wide variety of budgets from about $200.00 (full costume) to $600.00.

In all fairness, we do want to have some costume standards in place. Charybdis' costume is a great example of the quality we are hoping for! The cheaper costumes definitely reflect the price, but we'd rather have someone involved than not. Therefore we'll probably have a "rank" limit for those costumes. The Katarra, BSG.org, Monsters in Motion, and other uniforms of similar quality should be considered the higher quality and I think our ultimate goal.

LordStarFyre April 12th, 2009 02:18 PM

Bravo Monolith!!! And all the Rest!!!

This is EXACTLY what needs to be around here.

A couple of requests.

1 - Detailed Measurements and reference material for the Helmets (for the more "adventerous" who wish to embark on creating one.) Also Patterns and reference for the Tunics and Jackets.

2 - Links and reference for purchasing Costumes / Helmets / Blasters / Boots with various price ranges and ratings for quality, for those that may or may not have the ability or time to hand-make theirs

I know you guys have probably already discussed this, so if it's in the works disregards my meddlng.

Bravo to all again!!!