Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Twists On Old Episodes (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Remastered BattleStar Galatica? (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17221)

KJ September 30th, 2009 10:17 PM

Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador
We can include scene of the vipers taking off from the ground to attack the cyclons.

Much like DK has done with his edits.

I can imagine retooling pre-existing scenes, where some SFX can be spruce up and made to be something different in a BSG SE.

For example; The Carillion scene where the Vipers take off to stop the cylons from attacking the Galactica. That scene on the planet with its matte paintings could be retooled, to be a scene during the Colonial Holocaust when the Cylons attack the 12 Colonies.

That scene from Carillion could be used. Touched up with today's effects to keep the Vipers, and modify the matte painting etc. To be a Colonial Military Base or Outpost, where one of the attacking Baseships takes out the installation. Models of Vipers could be used and seen taking off (as you've said) and newer effects could be blended to show them moving off trying/failing to counterattack the Cylon's onslaught, from there on in.

Depending on how big a remastered BG would be. Footage of reaction shots from stand-ins playing roles in the SE, might even be used for close-ups?

No lack of imagination from us is there! :D:LOL:

KJ

David Kerin October 1st, 2009 06:31 AM

For a remastering I would not want all CGI replacing the originals, because those models and the work done was just beautiful. I think mixing and laying in more elements (but not going overboard like Lucas) would be a nice touch. A blend of original with properly matched CGI.

As for new shots being done with physical models, that would be great to see, but the expense of lighting, shooting and compositing a model with a motion control camera setup would probably be too expensive for the studio to actually consider. For the Star Trek TOS enhanced versions it would have been amazing to have a full scale model of the original Enterprise used, but the cost to do those shots right would be too much compared to the CGI... which can be expensive anyway. Though still more cost effective.

If it would be done, in whichever medium, I do think it is important that any new shots look like they properly mix with the style of the show and the time it was produced. I think the enhanced TOS Trek did a nice job of this.

Charybdis October 1st, 2009 08:44 AM

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. I loved the show as it was, and to me, it should always be the same. I hate it when they go back and start tinkering around with the originals.

David Kerin October 1st, 2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charybdis (Post 294025)
Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. I loved the show as it was, and to me, it should always be the same. I hate it when they go back and start tinkering around with the originals.

I can completely understand that, even though I've done my own amount of tinkering. I don't mind it when things are added with the idea of what would they have done with the time and money... such as instead of reusing effects over and over what would they have put there.

When things are added/enhanced with a production, I still want the original to be there and not put aside like it doesn't matter anymore, as Lucas tried to ignore the theatrical cuts of the original trilogy after he sprayed his new effects all over them.

KJ October 1st, 2009 05:49 PM

True. Which is why i think it could be done in the manner i described! Using models and CGI. Models as in, getting the new replicas to be filmed, yet also have the highly detailed 'CGI meshes' also be used. But not the complete elimination of the original SFX though? Just sprucing them up quality grade wise i.e. 'brightness & contrast' would do, along with some advanced editing decisions with today's tools.

Filming and compositing any new Models with motion control camera setups, might be expensive, i don't know the 'black books' and management wise, how thats done in the studio and how much it'll cost and calulated. Long as everything was worked out should any SE remastering be undertaken by Universal Studios and licensed out by them to a FX-firm/company that could handle the remastering assignment, should this thing be given a greenlight by the studios etc. Like everyone else. Have a list of things could could be given a fairly decent facelift in a BSG SE, that wouldn't harm or hurt what came before, but only improve upon the storytelling and convey the action/drama moreso.

Reckon it'll be easy enough outlining a list of necessary things that could be done using models and elements that'll be conceivably added via CGI.

All this can be further discussed, should this be made into an official HD-DVD Blu-Ray project by Universal! right now we have little to go on, since its topic that fasinates us, but nothing we can professionally do at such a high standard without a studio's backing nor resources.

KJ

KJ October 5th, 2009 04:47 PM

Is there anyways to get somebody from Universal to read this thread?

If they aren't listening over there, perhaps some of them need to come here then. In the age of the internet, i find it hard to imagine, all these studio suits who drive about in fancy cars and have a fast connection online on their laptops and computers in their offices. Don't log online to internet forums, to check up on what people would really want if you gave it to them.

I don't believe that they have this rumored "belief", that you can't if your a suit/studio exec neither! Thinking it'll influence their decision making?!

THE BSG FANBASE WOULD LOVE TO SEE: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA REMASTERED. On Blu-Ray DVD in 5.1/7.1 Surround Sound. As a special edition set for the 21st Century. You gave us the original series back in 2003 when we thought it'll never get a regular DVD release. That time has passed and it sold well! (and we were very greatful too).

In light of Star Trek Remastered and other sci-fi classics, this is the next logical step!

Make it happen and we will buy/double dip for TOS BSG on Blu-Ray.

IT MUST BE A REMASTERED SE handled properly by the studio though! Spend the money (even if a little expensive?) and you'll make it back guaranteed!!!

KJ

David Kerin October 5th, 2009 06:55 PM

I think if this Bryan Singer version starts going through, and we see real development on it (which we've heard zilch since the Singer announcement), then maybe Universal would consider such a thing to build interest. Would it be with enhanced effects or just cleaned up video and audio for Bluray? Before the Singer movie comes out I could picture a cleaned up version. If the Singer movie comes out and is a huge hit showing faith to the original series, then maybe something more would happen with enhanced visuals.

Before the Singer movie I would honestly be surprised, or amazed, that Universal would budget real money for enhanced TOS Galactica. I think it would be great, but Universal has never treated TOS Galactica with respect. The only decent thing to come out from them was the TOS series DVD set and the bounty of extras, which Universal stopped doing for any other series they put out because it costs a little bit of money. If BSG was not the first of the Universal TV series DVD sets produced it would never have had the extras, documentary or commentary. Look at Buck Rogers or Galactica 1980... there are no deleted scenes stored away somewhere?

Maybe I'm just in an oddly negative mood or something right now... and maybe Universal will surprise us and give the old girl some respect.

KJ October 11th, 2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kerin
I think if this Bryan Singer version starts going through, and we see real development on it (which we've heard zilch since the Singer announcement), then maybe Universal would consider such a thing to build interest.

Agreed! I see it exactly the same way.

And don't worry your not in a overly negative mood. Just overly realistic i think.

If this isn't going to be a *sticky* anytime soon, then it ought to be a CFF prioritised movement when the time is right i.e. when the new BSG film totally becomes official through announcements and media related news events etc. A whole list of things fans can decide on would be noted reminder far as content goes.

But yes, long as the ammunition there (the BSG film being greenlit) then we could realistically vouch for this to happen. Still, would be nice doing a CFF style ad or poster with photoshopped art with pictures from your fanedits, could be used as examples of how this would pan out. And like the Star Trek Remastered boxset DVD's, a comparison between the original episode and remastered (albeit CGI from the fanedits) would be used to show how an official release would look.

We need something to truly stirr our imaginations until this does become a reality! BSG SE Remastered Series in HD-DVD Blu-Ray loaded with extras (plus the original 78' series) and any previously unreleased footage, i'm for it and its already got my vote!

KJ

peter noble October 11th, 2009 03:58 PM

>Cough!<

http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/coolest-cgi/

David Kerin October 11th, 2009 08:04 PM

That is really nice. Oh the possibilities of what can be done.

KJ October 12th, 2009 02:44 AM

Yeah, one possibility DK would be animated schematics/blueprints and cutaways into the TOS Battlestar's design frame, showing her inner working and where everything is layed out inside a Battlestar.

I'm even remembering that animated schematic from Star Trek: Enterprise, of the U.S.S. Defiant that got sent to the 'Mirror Universe'. A neat scene in part 2 had a sequence where the TOS ship, had a design schematic showing the inner workings of the ship (Constitution-class U.S.S. Federation Starship). Love for a remastered BG, to even capture that and have an animated sequence projected over the main bridge 'viewscreen' showing; video images, computerised-'text' or a design schematic on display, whatever ya know?

That vid looks so similar to DeSanto's Foundation BSG demo. Nice but kinda square around the landing bay pods. Which is why the models still have their uses in their overall shapes and lighting etc.

KJ

peter noble October 12th, 2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble (Post 294291)

And with sound: http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...w_old_bsg3.flv

CaptainHawke October 13th, 2009 01:22 PM

wow!!! spot on!!! So great....

KJ October 13th, 2009 07:31 PM

Think this fits in here quite well, cos its on topic. (has this guy been reading this thread/forum, lol?)

Battlestar Galactica - The Complete Epic Series DVD Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZka_...eature=related

Well thats the 2003 release, good review actually. If Universal need another BSG style event to kick off revitalised interest in another Battlestar Galactica DVD go around. Yeah i'd hope they'd go the HD-DVD Blu-Ray in 5.1/7.1 route.

An official remastered series of TOS Galactica, whats keeping you "Universal" from greenlighting it already?!

Cos fan edits going in the High Def route of remastering/colour correcting, is very hard if not totally awkward. Because of the tools needed to pull it off professionally.

Like i said got my own wishes for this to happen or albeit fanedits in mind. But i'd kill now for this to happen pretty soon. We're not sure if we'll even like where the planned Universal BSG film version might go. Least with a remastered TOS, it'll be presevered for future generations to come even moreso and provided that necessary *facelift* the classic series currently needs.

Absolutely love the 2003 BSG DVD release and always will. But even Star Trek Remastered looks better quality wise, than TOS BSG on DVD, cos it IS on Blu-Ray with extras. And classic Star Trek didn't start out with 5.1 surround soundtrack or improved audio, now did it?

And yes like the reviewer (Zaranyzerak) says. Next re-release DVD snapcase of BSG, ought to be less tighter, lol. And not be a two-sided DVD 'flipper' again.

KJ

KJ October 14th, 2009 12:33 PM

Hmmm despite myself, DK, Matador and a few others, a topic this great should've lured alot more members by now wanting many alot more fans and people to acknowledge this demand, as big a request as we know it to be.

This does require the recognition it truly deserves.

Thus....

After a few more people have shared their ideas, i'm going to make one final post in this debate and thread of Matador's. And put down a list a of requirements that a Remastered Battlestar Galactica Blu-Ray Series would benefit from. Hopefully if this does become a CFF (Colonial Fan Force) campaign, my ideas along with whomever else's would be used as a major *selling point* or example to the actual BSG HD-DVD revival project in mind, i.e. the concepts for Blu-Ray content itself as well as how to go about remastering it, the extras, commentaries, documentaries etc.

But i'd like to do a little research and get a few facts right, before writing up a list or so and petition out a statement of features we'd like to see in such a future Blu-Ray BSG re-release. Putting out valid technical details might actually show Universal Studios, that the fanbase/fans are at least quite competent in what they're asking for and how to go about it, than making half-baked or unrealistic requests all the time.

KJ's; BSG Remastered Series Blu-Ray HD-DVD boxset 'theorised' list and detailed 'studio request' statement coming soon...

Watch this space! ;) :salute:

KJ

Matador October 27th, 2009 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll start working on a concept and see were it goes. Hope to see some of you at ComicCon2010.

KJ December 14th, 2009 02:50 PM

Want you all to know that i'll get to that BG Remastered list during Christmas or hopefully in the New Year 2010!

Kinda forgotten about it. But it'll be done, cos i want to research it properly and see if it'll lead to getting folks together on this issue.

We'll see.

Laters.

KJ

KJ January 27th, 2010 09:19 PM

Haven't forgotten about this!

Sorry i haven't put that Remastered list of things i was going through as we've all had something going on here that i feel is just as important as the original BG getting its official motion picture big screen treatment.

Hope i'll be able to put this up within a month or so. Don't want to make it out that i'm making photoshopped pics and whatnot to illustrate my points (i could?) as to why its taking so long. But i'm just realistically going over what an official attempt by the studio might offer up and what they should be aiming for in such a professional endeavor.

So give me a 'PM' buzz if you guys are seriously still pushing for this thing (Matador, TBC, DK, CaptainHawke) after the next 5 to 6 weeks if you don't back from me on here?! Days and weeks fly by when your alot older don't they, lol.

:D

Laters :cool: :salute:

KJ

KJ May 6th, 2010 10:53 AM

*Sigh* seems we have forgotten about this afterall? :(

Reckon we were excited due to the killer potential "tie-in" Universal could've had, if the BG movie news was good when it was forth coming etc. a BG Remastered would've been the realistic choice to go with. Much as i love this fanbase, we already know we're too far apart unlike the Trek or Star Wars franchises to be as organised as they are on something, however i'd like to still do the list of issues we could possibly address if this were to become viable.

DK's excellents edits serve as an inspiration surely, but even he couldn't be asked to redo every single episode with digital effects for fan edits that wouldn't go beyond the TOS Galactica fanbases. Think any CFF or fan project we might do for a remastered BG series being requested of Universal (i.e. the copyright owners of Galactica) would be to set an example of what might be achieved through a list or campaign grabbing their attention.

Can't say when, but i seriously (you know me) would like to get back on track with something BG-Remastered related soon, so i'd hope to put up a list with links and whatnot in a few short weeks time or so, of what we've previously talked about on here. To greatly illustrate my examples properly and to support Matador's thread, something we've talked about for years on here anyways.

The Bryan Singer BG movie was obviously the major "lynch-pin" we were hoping might've supported the efforts to a much greater extent etc with such a beleivable and realistic advantage taken "tie-in" right next to a major 'original series inspired' BG motion picture event taking place. But if we keep telling ourselves we shouldn't pin our hopes unnecessarily on the studios going ahead with a Galactica movie, such requests for a digitally remastered and restored original series on HD Blu-Ray DVD lies with the fans then, shouldn't it?

Please check back here again real soon, cos you all know KJ's want BG to go the "Star Trek remastered" route with classic series and i reckon if the fanbase was fully organised behind it and go a CFF effort with an ad campaign it'll create some much needed noise in that endeavour.

Be seeing you on this again, i hope? ;)

KJ

Eric Paddon May 6th, 2010 03:50 PM

I just have to say that as a matter of general principle, I am totally opposed to the concept of redoing FX for a series or a movie for that matter decades after the fact. To me, it violates the artistic integrity of the original effort when special FX that were not a part of the era the film was produced in suddenly get inserted in the middle of all this and serves ultimately to distract from the *story* itself being told. To me, the power of Saga comes from the manner in which the story unfolds and in which the actors do their part to get me to connect with things, and changing the FX sequences would only serve to deflect attention from that. This is why I was opposed to the SW special editions and why I will also never have anything to do with the Trek episodes tampered in this fashion.