Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica and Fleets News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica Movie News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18679)

Gemini1999 May 23rd, 2014 11:22 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

As a moderator...it would be nice if we could keep this discussion on topic about the BG movie news and not let it degrade into yet another tirade about "old vs new". That discussion's been going since 2003 and its never going to change, so let's move on.

137th Gebirg May 23rd, 2014 12:24 PM

^^^ Agreed.

Sarika May 23rd, 2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21 (Post 314045)
I really hope Glen gets it done this time. Lord knows we've been through it with these hopeful projects, but it does put a smile on my face every time it comes up. I like that it just won't die!

Here! Here!:beer::coolangel:thumbsup:

Raptornet May 24th, 2014 03:53 AM

It would be truly awesome if they used the original model, just have to wait and see. With Larson involved I'm hoping the chances the film will have a TOS flavour are good :)

Much as I enjoy what can be achieved with CGI, I still prefer physical models. The skill that went in to making the Galactica is just phenomenal, the picture posted below speaks volumes.

PaulGTweed May 24th, 2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini1999 (Post 314114)
As a moderator...it would be nice if we could keep this discussion on topic about the BG movie news and not let it degrade into yet another tirade about "old vs new". That discussion's been going since 2003 and its never going to change, so let's move on.

Old 1978 Battlestar TV series and feature film vs New 2014-2017? Battlestar Movie will always be debated. The old vs new war continues.

Lara May 25th, 2014 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGTweed (Post 314130)
Old 1978 Battlestar TV series and feature film vs New 2014-2017? Battlestar Movie will always be debated. The old vs new war continues.

Things I have learnt since 1982

Floggin' dead 'orses is pointless.

That war is over. There are plenty of left over landmines and sweaty tricky UXBs, between the entrenched positions, but the time for active combat has gone. Time to come out of the jungle.

The opposing POVs are on the public record.

Bitter rants and keystrokes struck in anger won't change what happened, but digging it over will feed the basest instincts of the beast within Fundamentalist Fandom.

If there's no new evidence, wasting time with another circuit of the same old yakkity yakk won't cause the judge to review the sentence..

The line between robust discussion and argument is a fine one. Not all your friends and acquaintances will stay with you when you cross it. People who are alone and wanting to fight with other people generally aren't held in high regard...

:duck:

PaulGTweed May 25th, 2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 314135)
Things I have learnt since 1982

Floggin' dead 'orses is pointless.

That war is over. There are plenty of left over landmines and sweaty tricky UXBs, between the entrenched positions, but the time for active combat has gone. Time to come out of the jungle.

The opposing POVs are on the public record.

Bitter rants and keystrokes struck in anger won't change what happened, but digging it over will feed the basest instincts of the beast within Fundamentalist Fandom.

If there's no new evidence, wasting time with another circuit of the same old yakkity yakk won't cause the judge to review the sentence..

The line between robust discussion and argument is a fine one. Not all your friends and acquaintances will stay with you when you cross it. People who are alone and wanting to fight with other people generally aren't held in high regard...

:duck:

Everything comes back around and most of the human conflicts today are continuations of the previous wars that have occurred since time began. As Commander Adama said in War of the Gods "We have always been caught in the conflict between Good and Evil. It will be no different even if we find Earth." As I said THE WAR CONTINUES!

Darrell Lawrence May 25th, 2014 11:26 AM

Not between the original and TNS. Anyone posting to start a fight, or try to continue the "war", will be banned. We are allowing moderate discussion of TNS, *BUT*, and I emphasize this, NOT TO START ARGUMENTS OR TO COMPARE THUS CREATING ARGUMENTS.

MarkTheSaint May 26th, 2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayworld (Post 313953)
Questions:
Would you support/watch the movie if:

1. It is a reboot with the original characters played by different actors (Adama, Apollo, Starbuck, Athena, Baltar, etc.) in the vein of the new Star Trek films

2. It is a reimagination that blends (not sure how that would work) both the original series and the new series

3. It is a new story featuring elements of the original series, such as Jewels referred to in her post on the Pegasus

4. It is a continuation of the original series, set 30 years later, with cameo-to-minor roles for Richard Hatch (Apollo), Dirk Benedict (Starbuck), Herb Jefferson (Boomer), Terry Carter (Tigh), with the main thrust being the younger actors

I would go for all of the above but as Star Wars and Rocky has shown that
comebacks are very popular with the moviegoers so I would recommend
having the colonials regain their home worlds and then wipe out the Cylons
so they can never attack again and then go explore the galaxy and deal
with new enemies as they come up like in Star Trek.

MarkTheSaint

137th Gebirg May 27th, 2014 01:01 PM

^^^ It might indeed be a more uplifting path for BSG to take.

As light-hearted as TOS BSG was compared to NuBSG, having the entirety of the human race experience a "holocaust" of any kind is rather heavy material, in either version. I think many people may be getting fatigued with "darkness" and "grittiness" in their shows. I know I am to an extent.

Perhaps they should take it in a completely different direction after briefly retelling the original story and not dwelling on it as much, or rather, more deeply exploring the profound implications of the "grand plan" that the Beings of Light have set humanity on, and the efforts of Count Iblis to undermine it while executing a "grand plan" of his own for the Cylons. TOS never got the opportunity to explore the rich tapestry that was quietly being woven into the fabric of the plot for various reasons. I think it is now time to do just that!

Senmut May 27th, 2014 02:14 PM

You must admit, Iblis is a hell of a character! ;)

PaulGTweed June 1st, 2014 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg (Post 314160)
^^^ It might indeed be a more uplifting path for BSG to take.

As light-hearted as TOS BSG was compared to NuBSG, having the entirety of the human race experience a "holocaust" of any kind is rather heavy material, in either version. I think many people may be getting fatigued with "darkness" and "grittiness" in their shows. I know I am to an extent.

Perhaps they should take it in a completely different direction after briefly retelling the original story and not dwelling on it as much, or rather, more deeply exploring the profound implications of the "grand plan" that the Beings of Light have set humanity on, and the efforts of Count Iblis to undermine it while executing a "grand plan" of his own for the Cylons. TOS never got the opportunity to explore the rich tapestry that was quietly being woven into the fabric of the plot for various reasons. I think it is now time to do just that!

This plot I like! It gives the producers a chance to bring in new characters and new plot twists instead of rehashing what has already been done. I nominate Alan Rickman for Count Iblis!

PaulGTweed June 1st, 2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGTweed (Post 314185)
This plot I like! It gives the producers a chance to bring in new characters and new plot twists instead of rehashing what has already been done. I nominate Alan Rickman for Count Iblis!

I also nominate Benedict Cumberbatch for Count Iblis or the Cylon Imperious Leader.

gmd3d June 2nd, 2014 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGTweed (Post 314186)
I also nominate Benedict Cumberbatch for Count Iblis or the Cylon Imperious Leader.

No thanks..

Rickman would be a better choice.
or Anthony Head

peter noble June 2nd, 2014 02:35 PM

Frank Langella as Baltar.

borjis June 2nd, 2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble (Post 314189)
frank langella as baltar.

yes!

gmd3d June 2nd, 2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

oh yes.. good choice

Dawg June 2nd, 2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borjis (Post 314190)
yes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis (Post 314191)
oh yes.. good choice

Just a moment. I have it:

Rickman (who can foam at the mouth with the best of them) as Baltar.

Langella (elder statesman, solid, but who can just ooze charm and menace) as Iblis.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

PaulGTweed June 3rd, 2014 07:55 AM

Robert Downey,Jr. would make a good Baltar. If he isn't doing an Iron Man or Avengers movie.

Senmut June 3rd, 2014 12:45 PM

Is Cancer Man from XFiles still around? He'd be good.