Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica Cafe (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Winning a trip... I think... (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18426)

CaptainHawke December 11th, 2012 11:09 AM

Winning a trip... I think...

Can someone do some checking for me? I supposedly won this great trip through a travel agency called Paradise Resorts and Accommodations. It's a travel agency based out of St. Petersburg, Florida...It's an 11 day trip starting out at Orlando, going to Daytona, then Ft. Lauderdale and then the Bahamas... I DID sign up for this thing at a wrestling event. I want to know if this is a timeshare thing, or if it's legit or what.. please don't say "if it's too good to be true, it probably is.."
I know this. I want to have it checked out... I've called the consumer Protection Services of Florida. They say they are legit with zero complaints. the travel agency gave me 2 phone #'s that lead back to them. A package ID number, and I got the name of the guy I talked to. I just want to know if this is legit.

Dawg December 11th, 2012 08:46 PM

Re: Winning a trip... I think...

Do you have the number they called from? Google it and see if it comes up on any of the scam reporting services.

The agency name has been linked to scams out of Florida for cruises to the Bahamas. Don't give them any credit card info until you're very sure about them.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

Lara December 11th, 2012 10:16 PM

Its a positive sign if its a prize you actually entered a competation for :-) Most scams come out of the blue, so the odds are looking good..

You could check with a local travel agent.. by saying this place/company was recommended to you, what sort of deals do they do. Bit sneaky, but if they are legit the TA may have good corroborating evidence

or you can check with teh promoters of the comp you entered. Over here if you put up a prize worth more than $5K the official results of the comp have to be published in a newspaper in teh public notices.

Hope its real and its good...

Cheers
Lara

Dawg December 12th, 2012 09:25 PM

I signed up to win a trip once. They tried to hard-sell me and Mrs. Dawg a timeshare, kept passing us from salesman to salesman. Long story short - we never went on a trip.

It also took months to get off the spam-call list...

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

bsg1fan1975 December 13th, 2012 04:10 AM

Had a similar situation myself last year when I entered a raffle at a festival and I was picked. They tried to hard sell me on a weekend getaway in a nearby state. They tried several times to get me to commit and after the last attempt to push me to accept, I told them I was not interested. Had a funny feeling it might be a scam. Hope in your case it is the reverse but its better to be on guard then be suckered in.