Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Science Fiction Shows (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   better than an Iris (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6307)

thomas7g February 22nd, 2004 04:12 PM

better than an Iris

ya know...siince matter can only go one way through a wormhole, and is vaporized if it tries to go in reverse....

Instead of an IRIS I would just put the gate on its back. This way I can see the Jaffa running out of the gate, then falling back towards it and oblivion. This way I can see the look on their faces just as they realize they are toast for daring to mess with the big mother E!

:D

Darth Marley February 22nd, 2004 04:22 PM

I would like to see the effect of the iris closing on a lifeform coming through.
Have they done that yet? I know I have not seen all the eps.

shiningstar February 22nd, 2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas7g
ya know...siince matter can only go one way through a wormhole, and is vaporized if it tries to go in reverse....

Instead of an IRIS I would just put the gate on its back. This way I can see the Jaffa running out of the gate, then falling back towards it and oblivion. This way I can see the look on their faces just as they realize they are toast for daring to mess with the big mother E!

:laugh: that would be good :laugh:

Excellent thoughts Thomas :thumbsup:

amberstar February 22nd, 2004 07:16 PM

I like that idea Thomas!
Also, I love your avatar! ;)

Amber

thomas7g February 22nd, 2004 07:17 PM

Not yet! You would thing they would have. :)

I don't know why Carter just don't design a big solid cylinder that can be inserted from the rear to plug up the gate so a event horizon can't form.

thomas7g February 22nd, 2004 07:18 PM

Thanks Amber, you sweet girl you! ;)

Rowan February 22nd, 2004 09:08 PM

I have to add my praise as well, it has an odd effect on me every time I see it facination mixed with "fear" kind of feeling. a cool kind of creepy. I've been trying to figure it out, it looks like the guys from Angel in the back ground but I must confess my ignorance of the character with the sword.:)

thomas7g February 22nd, 2004 09:21 PM

The last episode Angel got turned into a Sesame Street-like Muppet. :D

Rowan February 22nd, 2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas7g
The last episode Angel got turned into a Sesame Street-like Muppet. :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: verrryyy funnnyyy!

Darth Marley February 22nd, 2004 10:21 PM

But with the 90 degree rotation, how do you let the good guys through?

Next unsceduled off world activation from an ally and the good guys die?

Sci-Fi February 23rd, 2004 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Marley
I would like to see the effect of the iris closing on a lifeform coming through.

Never showed the iris closing on a lifeform but they did show Kawalsky died because the gate deactivated when his head was in the event horizon (The Enemy Within) and a staff weapon being severed off in the "Point of View" episode when the gate shut off. You only heard the "thumps" when the iris was closed, killing whoever was trying to gate travel to the SGC.

Just to pose a question I always wondered about, why doesn't the gate "flush" both ways when it opens? And is there just one way to enter the open gate? It seems whichever side the dialer is at, that is the only way to enter the gate. Is the other side blank (no event horizon) or goes somewhere else if you go thru that way or you just die if you enter the wrong way? I suppose one could argue the wormhole only goes in one direction and the glyphs/chevrons are only on one side of the gate (the right side to enter). Just wondering...
:confused: :D :salute:

Sci-Fi February 23rd, 2004 04:06 AM

Quote:

In the "Touchstone" episode, the NID had the stargate on its side and they had stolen the weather device from the planet Medrona. Only saw them escape at the end though.

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s2/graphics/214_01.jpg

thomas7g February 23rd, 2004 04:13 AM

Quote:

You are right. There would have to be some sort of pivoting mechanism.

Alternately you could install a very fast treadmill so that they bad guys would trip, fall, then be thrown backwards when they stepped through.

The stargate can't flush backwards. If it did, it would take out the rear wall of the gateroom and the production would have to pay for a larger set!

emerita February 29th, 2004 12:15 PM

Quote:

The only thing close to it is on "Enemy Within" in season one where Kowalski 's head was held by Teal'c and half of it was desentigrated......

shiningstar February 29th, 2004 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emerita
The only thing close to it is on "Enemy Within" in season one where Kowalski 's head was held by Teal'c and half of it was desentigrated......

Boy I sure remembered that episode ........I loved that ep.