Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   All About Models (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Ship Schematics (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15505)

Darrell Lawrence March 7th, 2011 02:06 PM

Re: Ship Schematics

...ummm No. I never had a 7th fleet website...

ZAP December 25th, 2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonialMarine (Post 272025)
I wasn't quite sure where to put this. So here it goes...

With compliments to my friend 137th Gebirg at Galactica.com. The original, larger version can be seen at http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg/battlestar_nova.png

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53...estar_nova.png

hi and first of all merry Christmas

i am looking for technical drawings of the original Galactica , and i found this incredible forum , the plans that you are showing are amazing , but the link appears do be down , is it possible to tell me where i can download this plans in high resolution ?

thanks in advance:salute:

ZAP December 25th, 2013 03:17 AM

the objective is to start building the model of the galactica , i am gathering kits ,base on the amazing work of so many of you in the studio scale modelers

http://www.studioscalemodelers.com/f...ay.php?fid=731

ZAP December 25th, 2013 08:26 AM

is it possible to put this online again ..thanks in advance ..and merry Christmas :salute:

Dawg December 25th, 2013 10:26 AM

ZAP, welcome to the Fleets! Merry Christmas!

There's some history you don't know that will help answer your question. A year or so ago, our hosting server suffered a catastrophic crash and we lost a lot of our material. We've put out the word to re-load, but some of that hasn't happened yet. If the individual links don't go anywhere, it's likely we haven't had that restored yet.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

ZAP December 26th, 2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 312785)
ZAP, welcome to the Fleets! Merry Christmas!

There's some history you don't know that will help answer your question. A year or so ago, our hosting server suffered a catastrophic crash and we lost a lot of our material. We've put out the word to re-load, but some of that hasn't happened yet. If the individual links don't go anywhere, it's likely we haven't had that restored yet.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

thanks Dawg , just receive an email regarding my goal of starting to build the studio scale Galactica , i am very exited about this , if it come true i will post the developments in the forum , hope to have some help from you guys :)

DCT1964 December 26th, 2013 04:34 AM

I have seen allot of fantastic work done here, you guys are incredable.

137th Gebirg January 13th, 2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZAP (Post 312776)
hi and first of all merry Christmas

i am looking for technical drawings of the original Galactica , and i found this incredible forum , the plans that you are showing are amazing , but the link appears do be down , is it possible to tell me where i can download this plans in high resolution ?

thanks in advance:salute:

Hi Zap. Here is a link to the high-res raster version of the schematic. If you are in need of the original vector file, I have made a version in PDF format. All I ask of anyone who downloads it that they don't use it to make money off of. I found a couple sites who took it to make t-shirts. To their credit, they took the sale pages down when I tagged them for it, but I would sooner not have to put myself through that again.

As for going back and re-establishing all the links I've submitted over the years, I wouldn't even know where to start on such a monumental undertaking. Is there a way of filtering not just what threads we've posted in but also the threads where links are broken and need to be repaired? That might help quicken things up a bit.

Thanks much!

-Jim

ZAP January 13th, 2014 12:08 PM

hi JIm , i reply 2 minutes ago to your other post , asking you if you could send me the file , and now i see that you already send me the link ...thank you so much :rotf: , the sharing of this type of forum is incredible

how did you make this schematics ? did you make the 3d and just export the views ? because the drawing is amazing , can you make transversal sections and longitudinal profiles ?

once again thanks for your wonderful work put at the disposal of all :salute:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg (Post 312973)
Hi Zap. Here is a link to the high-res raster version of the schematic. If you are in need of the original vector file, I have made a version in PDF format. All I ask of anyone who downloads it that they don't use it to make money off of. I found a couple sites who took it to make t-shirts. To their credit, they took the sale pages down when I tagged them for it, but I would sooner not have to put myself through that again.

As for going back and re-establishing all the links I've submitted over the years, I wouldn't even know where to start on such a monumental undertaking. Is there a way of filtering not just what threads we've posted in but also the threads where links are broken and need to be repaired? That might help quicken things up a bit.

Thanks much!

-Jim

137th Gebirg January 13th, 2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZAP (Post 312976)
how did you make this schematics ? did you make the 3d and just export the views ? because the drawing is amazing

:LOL: Heh...you make it sound so advanced! :)

No, I did it the old-fashioned way - I took a boatload of reference photos I got from Jim C after he finished his Galactica and went through each of them, trying to eyeball the details, as well as compensate for perspective-distortion ("foreshortening" in the art world). Not long into the project, Kurt Kuhn over at Modeler Magic got a hold of and released a metric ton of photos of the original SS miniature, which I used to finish it up. The overall outline of the schematics is from Jim's build which has a slightly narrower main body and less-pronounced angle at the rear of the head than the original, but I would say it's about 90-95% accurate.

In short, everything was "hand-drawn" using Adobe Illustrator CS1. No CG-to-vector assistance. Probably took me over 400 hours to make - that's an extremely rough estimate. It's been so long, I really can't remember how long it took me, to be honest.

Quote:

Can you make transversal sections and longitudinal profiles ?
Unfortunately, no. Because this was not taken from a CG model, but drawn in a purely 2D environment, cross sections of any kind really aren't possible.

Thanks very much for the kind words. They are appreciated. :salute:

gmd3d January 13th, 2014 02:22 PM

Still one of the best out there imo.

137th Gebirg January 14th, 2014 05:43 AM

Thanks very much, my friend - most kind. :salute:

Still looking forward to one day picking up on that tech manual project... :)

gmd3d January 14th, 2014 08:58 AM

Same here..